New Potatoes?

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Post Reply
User avatar
Chris Hammond
Perch
Perch
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Apr 14 2019 08:14

New Potatoes?

Post by Chris Hammond » Mon Dec 30 2019 16:26

I think I read somewhere that spuds for mashing should be cooked in cold water brought to the boil and that new potatoes should be dropped into boiling water to cook. I've no idea whether it makes any discernible difference. Does it?

User avatar
Chris Hammond
Perch
Perch
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Apr 14 2019 08:14

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by Chris Hammond » Mon Dec 30 2019 17:38

And while I'm thinking of it what purpose is served by 'browning' mince,??

User avatar
Andytheammer
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1324
Joined: Mon Jan 27 2014 22:43
Location: Essex

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by Andytheammer » Mon Dec 30 2019 18:12

Chris after watching Gone Fishing with Mortimer & Whitehouse I’d give “Trapped Potatoes” a go
:thumbs: :laughs:

User avatar
Chris Hammond
Perch
Perch
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Apr 14 2019 08:14

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by Chris Hammond » Mon Dec 30 2019 18:17

Andytheammer wrote:
Chris after watching Gone Fishing with Mortimer & Whitehouse I’d give “Trapped Potatoes” a go
:thumbs: :laughs:
That wouldn't be trapped tinned potatoes would it Andy? :thumbs:

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 5291
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by John Milford » Mon Dec 30 2019 18:28

Chris Hammond wrote:
And while I'm thinking of it what purpose is served by 'browning' mince,??
It liquefies the fat Chris, so that you can pour it off (if you don't like greasy mince).

I think something similar applies to spuds. Cooking potatoes by boiling up from cold water will take out more of the starch - which you then pour away with the water before mashing? :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
Chris Hammond
Perch
Perch
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Apr 14 2019 08:14

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by Chris Hammond » Mon Dec 30 2019 18:38

John Milford wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
And while I'm thinking of it what purpose is served by 'browning' mince,??
It liquefies the fat Chris, so that you can pour it off (if you don't like greasy mince).

I think something similar applies to spuds. Cooking potatoes by boiling up from cold water will take out more of the starch - which you then pour away with the water before mashing? :shrug:
Ah that makes sense John. I have to say though, as I only eat the 5% fat lean steak mince there isnt a huge amount of fat residue if any.

I did wonder if the spud thing was related to a need to gradually heat up the potato for mashing purposes.

zodiac
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sat Oct 22 2011 05:00
Location: central jockland

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by zodiac » Thu Jan 02 2020 11:10

If it's a soft floury type if potato, starting it off in cold water helps it to stop breaking up before it's properly cooked.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

User avatar
Chris Hammond
Perch
Perch
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Apr 14 2019 08:14

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by Chris Hammond » Fri Jan 03 2020 20:11

zodiac wrote:
If it's a soft floury type if potato, starting it off in cold water helps it to stop breaking up before it's properly cooked.
That makes sense bud.

User avatar
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Aug 14 2013 05:00
Location: Totton
Contact:

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by tigger996 » Wed Feb 12 2020 20:41

If it grows above ground or new potatoes then put into boiling water. The rest cook from cold.

Post Reply