Chillie paste.

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Chillie paste.

Post by Mike J »

Chilli sauce update - taste and gassing.
When I topped mine up with my last bunch of Jamaican Bonnets I used rum instead of sherry, that was around 6-8 weeks ago.
I tried it for the first time last night on a Thai chicken curry that was too bland, and the taste was amazing. Not overpoweringly hot, just smooth hot with a brilliant flavour in the background.
When I did the top up I transferred the sauce from a honey jar into a screw top (old oyester sauce) bottle, I haven't opened it since but there was a distinct pressure when I released the top, nothing serious but it was noticable.

You chillie guys just gotta try Jutties recipe with rum :thumbs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Thu Nov 25 2021 11:52 -
When I topped mine up with my last bunch of Jamaican Bonnets I used rum instead of sherry, that was around 6-8 weeks ago.
I tried it for the first time last night on a Thai chicken curry that was too bland, and the taste was amazing. Not overpoweringly hot, just smooth hot with a brilliant flavour in the background.
When I did the top up I transferred the sauce from a honey jar into a screw top (old oyester sauce) bottle, I haven't opened it since but there was a distinct pressure when I released the top, nothing serious but it was noticable.

I’ve started using mine in the last few weeks, probably could do with maturing more but I’ve got so much of it I thought I’d might as well get stuck in.
It’s great on its own but also nice mixed 50/50 with tomato sauce with chips and I’ve been using it a lot mixed 50/50 with sandwich pickle in my work sandwiches.
I’m a jar down already though as the mother in law was here for the weekend and tried some and ended up with a jar.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Mon Nov 29 2021 07:20 -

I’ve started using mine in the last few weeks, probably could do with maturing more but I’ve got so much of it I thought I’d might as well get stuck in.
It’s great on its own but also nice mixed 50/50 with tomato sauce with chips and I’ve been using it a lot mixed 50/50 with sandwich pickle in my work sandwiches.
I’m a jar down already though as the mother in law was here for the weekend and tried some and ended up with a jar.

Hi Matt
Either you've got a cast iron mouth or you need to add something hotter to your mix or it wont last until Christmas.
A neighbour who was moving offerred me some seeds from a variety called Apache, he gave me a chillie to try and it was fiercely not, as good as a Bonnet.
I was a bit late planting the seeds but those that grew are now inside, flowering nicely with some fruits nearly 2" long. They are going to be my outdoor plants for next year.
The two plants I posted pics last winter are still going alongside the new variety 🌶

Mike
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Mon Nov 29 2021 10:09 -
Mattjb wrote: Mon Nov 29 2021 07:20 -

Hi Matt
Either you've got a cast iron mouth or you need to add something hotter to your mix or it wont last until Christmas.
A neighbour who was moving offerred me some seeds from a variety called Apache, he gave me a chillie to try and it was fiercely not, as good as a Bonnet.
I was a bit late planting the seeds but those that grew are now inside, flowering nicely with some fruits nearly 2" long. They are going to be my outdoor plants for next year.
The two plants I posted pics last winter are still going alongside the new variety 🌶

Mike
It’s plenty hot enough I can assure you! That’s one of the reasons I mix with pickle or ketchup.
I’ve got a one litre bottle,a medium sized jar with the wire and glass lid and 2 jam jar sized jars full plus still a few ripening chillies in the greenhouse so it will be lasting way beyond Christmas!
Sounds like your new plants are doing well. I normally start my seeds inside at the end of Jan then move out to the greenhouse in March if it’s mild enough.