Sour dough?

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Sour dough?

Post by Chris Hammond »

Anyone got a reliable method/recipe for creating a sour dough starter?

I've tried one off the web which was basically putting increasing measures of flour into water but it didn't work.

I'm not even sure what sour dough is but I love the rolls they sell in the shops so would like to make some from scratch. πŸ™‚
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Sour dough?

Post by Mike J »

Not a recipe bit I did make a few batches during lockdown.
I made a culture starter, kept it in a jar and used a bit of it each time to get the dough going, just a mix of water, flour and grated apple so it ends up like a batter, just kept in the kitchen where it collected yeast from the air. It slowly bubbles up and smells a bit sweet. From memory once it starts growing you feed it with flour and can use it after a week or so. Best cross check to confirm ingredients incase. Beware because it keeps on growing so you will have plenty to give away or dump.

I made trial buns with a few loaves later, the results were very acceptable for me (good crust, nice airy texture) but too sour for my good Lady which was the reason I gave up on it.

I particularly sour drinks eg; Campari and sour food eg; Dansak curry hence my love for a proper sourdough loaf.

Good luck.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Loads on youtube Chris, it's another cancelled project of mine that I looked into during lock down but never got around to doing.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: ↑Wed Jun 08 2022 14:58 -
I made a culture starter, kept it in a jar and used a bit of it each time to get the dough going, just a mix of water, flour and grated apple so it ends up like a batter, just kept in the kitchen where it collected yeast from the air. It slowly bubbles up and smells a bit sweet. From memory once it starts growing you feed it with flour and can use it after a week or so. Best cross check to confirm ingredients incase. Beware because it keeps on growing so you will have plenty to give away or dump.

I made trial buns with a few loaves later, the results were very acceptable for me (good crust, nice airy texture) but too sour for my good Lady which was the reason I gave up on it.

I particularly sour drinks eg; Campari and sour food eg; Dansak curry hence my love for a proper sourdough loaf.

Good luck.
Cheers Mike. I have to be honest and admit that it doesnt taste remotely sour to me. In fact I have wondered where it got it's name from. Perhaps our Waitrose's version is different from 'proper' sour dough?

I will try the flour feeding thing again. πŸ‘
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Wed Jun 08 2022 16:54 -
Loads on youtube Chris, it's another cancelled project of mine that I looked into during lock down but never got around to doing.
o

Of course! Why do I never remember YouTube?? You can find a demo or description of just about anything. I'll have a look. πŸ‘
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Wed Jun 08 2022 20:43 -
Bob Watson wrote: ↑Wed Jun 08 2022 16:54 -
o

Of course! Why do I never remember YouTube?? You can find a demo or description of just about anything. I'll have a look. πŸ‘
I've just replaced the key fob for my car using a youtube tutorial. Just aswell I did or I'd still be trying to get a certain part of the new fob to work with the old key blade.
Last edited by Bob Watson on Thu Jun 09 2022 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Wed Jun 08 2022 20:41 -

Good luck.
Cheers Mike. I have to be honest and admit that it doesnt taste remotely sour to me. In fact I have wondered where it got it's name from. Perhaps our Waitrose's version is different from 'proper' sour dough?

Most of whats on sale commercially isn't made from a culture.
My first genuine SD loaf came from a Farmers market, it cost around Β£3 and was delicious and I ate every crumb. Since then I ignore everything except the bread from artisan bakers, even then I always ask how its made.
The hardest bit about making your own is the kneading, SD needs twice as much as normal bread.
Make your own and you can make it so sour it will pucker your lips :laughs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Tried and tested recipe Chris that I stumbled on quite by accident having gone through several years of making Bread in every type of denomination from basic loaves to improved doughs with fat based recipes.

I always use dry yeast and always a use a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to feed on in the mix, get a strong white flour, make up a 2.2 lb mix and don't oversalt as it will upset the yeast... don't be shy with the yeast/warm water as a dry mix will not react the same, the wet mix will come together (cleans your hands perfectly) I usually drop in a good glug of ****/sunflower oil into it at this stage (3-5 tablespoons) and here is the crucial point - put on a 15-25 min track on .. For me any Iron Maiden of Floyd song suffices and knead away, place in a flour coated bowl bigger enough to expand 100-250% .. leave somewhere warm and let it rise for a few hours with a clean (must be damp) t-towel on top. Then knock out the air and knead for no more than 10 min, then slice the mixture in half, leave one half to prove for 1 hour on a baking tray and then flour the top and place in the oven at 220 with a cup of water in the bottom, the steam will help the cooking process and leave a decent crust, don't be afraid to flour the top liberally, it will brush off and protects the loave from catching.

Now for the sour dough bit (cheat method) put the other half in a sandwich bag and fold over the top (do not tie off as it will expand) now place this in the fridge for 3-4 days and it will rise, deflate and go slightly wet, but WILL smell sour as can be... now use this half to then add to another fresh mix of 2.2lb ingredients and knead the 1lb of sour mixture into it, and make up 2 decent loaves by exactly the same method as first described ... I first done this quite by accident and the results were superb, have shared this method a few times and it is easier than feeding a culture... Not going to claim I'm the first to have done it, but never read anything along the lines and I have read a lot on breads and variations during my OCD spell!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09 2022 10:28 -
Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Wed Jun 08 2022 20:41 -

Good luck.

Most of whats on sale commercially isn't made from a culture.
My first genuine SD loaf came from a Farmers market, it cost around Β£3 and was delicious and I ate every crumb. Since then I ignore everything except the bread from artisan bakers, even then I always ask how its made.
The hardest bit about making your own is the kneading, SD needs twice as much as normal bread.
Make your own and you can make it so sour it will pucker your lips :laughs:

Thanks again Mike. I will.report back when I've made some. πŸ‘
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Thu Jun 09 2022 17:58 -
Tried and tested recipe Chris that I stumbled on quite by accident having gone through several years of making Bread in every type of denomination from basic loaves to improved doughs with fat based recipes.

I always use dry yeast and always a use a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to feed on in the mix, get a strong white flour, make up a 2.2 lb mix and don't oversalt as it will upset the yeast... don't be shy with the yeast/warm water as a dry mix will not react the same, the wet mix will come together (cleans your hands perfectly) I usually drop in a good glug of ****/sunflower oil into it at this stage (3-5 tablespoons) and here is the crucial point - put on a 15-25 min track on .. For me any Iron Maiden of Floyd song suffices and knead away, place in a flour coated bowl bigger enough to expand 100-250% .. leave somewhere warm and let it rise for a few hours with a clean (must be damp) t-towel on top. Then knock out the air and knead for no more than 10 min, then slice the mixture in half, leave one half to prove for 1 hour on a baking tray and then flour the top and place in the oven at 220 with a cup of water in the bottom, the steam will help the cooking process and leave a decent crust, don't be afraid to flour the top liberally, it will brush off and protects the loave from catching.

Now for the sour dough bit (cheat method) put the other half in a sandwich bag and fold over the top (do not tie off as it will expand) now place this in the fridge for 3-4 days and it will rise, deflate and go slightly wet, but WILL smell sour as can be... now use this half to then add to another fresh mix of 2.2lb ingredients and knead the 1lb of sour mixture into it, and make up 2 decent loaves by exactly the same method as first described ... I first done this quite by accident and the results were superb, have shared this method a few times and it is easier than feeding a culture... Not going to claim I'm the first to have done it, but never read anything along the lines and I have read a lot on breads and variations during my OCD spell!
Blimey Stew thanks for that mate. I will see if I can find the time at the weekend to follow your directions and make some. πŸ‘