Replicating chinese takeaway

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Replicating chinese takeaway

Post by Andrew »

Ben wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28 2022 21:05 -
100% need some MSG in there Crofty, you also need to use boiled chicken. These guys are the best Chinese cooking guides on YouTube closely followed by Jeremy and his colleagues on the second link πŸ‘πŸΌ

Aye, was thinking about trying some msg when I made it today. Will definitely get some for next time.

Dunno about boiled chicken πŸ€” why? What's the thinking behind it, flavour?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Jul 07 2022 11:57 -
Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Sun Jul 03 2022 00:36 -
Think I overdone it with the oyster sauce today. I swear to God I can smell it coming out my pores stronger than it came out the bottle. I tell ya, my farts dont smell of Rose's either 🀒

Whoooh, two spoons of oyster is far to much for a single helping, a level teaspoon is easily sufficient.
If you buy the Kum Lee it can be used without cooking, so you can always add a bit more. If you eat genuine Chinese some of their dishes like steamed Pak Choy they just dribble it over prior to serving.

The pure sesame oil is the one to buy, drizzle over the finished dish about 10-12 drops is all you need. Don't add it to your noodles, they should be cooked on a rolling boil and stirred with chopsticks or a fork to stop them sticking together.

As a guide I use 3 bottles of Light Soy to every 1 of Dark, for every 2 of Light I use 1 Rice Wine.

Do you use the Yin and Yang - a pinch of salt and a dash of sugar at the end? If not try and see how it improves your dishes.

Missed this post. Yeah just started adding sugar for my last 2 dishes and its edged it more toward how my local does it. Last one wasnt enough but todays was perfect. Rather than a knuckle I'd say a teaspoons worth. I just grabbed a bunch in a rush :laughs:

Changed my usual soy to something a little dearer (f****n grudging at 1.86) but it's probably helped tbh. Still cant bring myself to paying over 2.50 for one of the ones you recommended though :laughs:
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28 2022 21:36 -
100% need some MSG in there Crofty, you also need to use boiled chicken. These guys are the best Chinese cooking guides on YouTube closely followed by Jeremy and his colleagues on the second link πŸ‘πŸΌ

Aye, was thinking about trying some msg when I made it today. Will definitely get some for next time.

No not flavour mate, takeaways use it for speed of cooking the final dish.

I use poached chicken quite a lot, the meat is nice and moist plus it keeps for a few days to use in various dishes. You can also add various things to the poaching water which creates subtly different flavours.

Cooking chicken in the wok can often result in drier/rubbery meat that is easily over cooked.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28 2022 22:00 -
Think I overdone it with the oyster sauce today. I swear to God I can smell it coming out my pores stronger than it came out the bottle. I tell ya, my farts dont smell of Rose's either 🀒

Whoooh, two spoons of oyster is far to much for a single helping, a level teaspoon is easily sufficient.
If you buy the Kum Lee it can be used without cooking, so you can always add a bit more. If you eat genuine Chinese some of their dishes like steamed Pak Choy they just dribble it over prior to serving.

The pure sesame oil is the one to buy, drizzle over the finished dish about 10-12 drops is all you need. Don't add it to your noodles, they should be cooked on a rolling boil and stirred with chopsticks or a fork to stop them sticking together.

As a guide I use 3 bottles of Light Soy to every 1 of Dark, for every 2 of Light I use 1 Rice Wine.

Do you use the Yin and Yang - a pinch of salt and a dash of sugar at the end? If not try and see how it improves your dishes.

Missed this post. Yeah just started adding sugar for my last 2 dishes and its edged it more toward how my local does it. Last one wasnt enough but todays was perfect. Rather than a knuckle I'd say a teaspoons worth. I just grabbed a bunch in a rush :laughs:

Changed my usual soy to something a little dearer (f****n grudging at 1.86) but it's probably helped tbh. Still cant bring myself to paying over 2.50 for one of the ones you recommended though :laughs:

Not just sugar you must add salt with it, they are Yin and Yang of Chinese cooking.

When you buy the cheaper versions of soy sauce your just buying more water so you need more to obtain the same flavour. Remember the test the Chinese use, give the bottle a shake and if bubbles remain on the top it is good quality.
When you buy a bottle of Pearl Bridge (which you will) you will never buy another brand because it is the gold standard every other brand can be judged against.

I cooked beef and tomatoes last night, its a 10min. dish and my go-to if I want something quick. I can post the recipe if anyones interested?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davyr
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davyr »

Mike J wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29 2022 08:50 -
Remember the test the Chinese use, give the bottle a shake and if bubbles remain on the top it is good quality.
I didn't know about this, but have just tried it with the Sainsburys Dark Soy Sauce I use most regularly - Very bubbly! Talking of adding MSG, I'm sure I've read somewhere that most soy sauce is largely MSG - is this correct?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davyr wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29 2022 09:45 -
Remember the test the Chinese use, give the bottle a shake and if bubbles remain on the top it is good quality.
I didn't know about this, but have just tried it with the Sainsburys Dark Soy Sauce I use most regularly - Very bubbly! Talking of adding MSG, I'm sure I've read somewhere that most soy sauce is largely MSG - is this correct?

MSG in soy, I don't know and have never heard of it before today, I do know the Chinese do not use it in their own food so I would doubt it if the soy was genuinely Chinese made.

I regularly eat in a 100% genuine Chinese restaurant, three menus, the Anglicised in English only and the Chinese and Dim Sum lunch in both languages and none of the food has MSG added. The place holds 200+ and is often packed with Chinese families all eating and taking away their leftovers.

Isn't MSG banned as it is known to cause headaches and raise heart rates?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Mike J wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29 2022 10:15 -

MSG in soy, I don't know and have never heard of it before today, I do know the Chinese do not use it in their own food so I would doubt it if the soy was genuinely Chinese made.

I regularly eat in a 100% genuine Chinese restaurant, three menus, the Anglicised in English only and the Chinese and Dim Sum lunch in both languages and none of the food has MSG added. The place holds 200+ and is often packed with Chinese families all eating and taking away their leftovers.

Chinese takeaway and Chinese cuisine aint the same thing :laughs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Right nailed the chowmein. Just need to sort ma curry sauce. It's alright but lacking something. Hard to describe but its kinda soapy if that makes sense and its not too much paste. Could they be adding some sort of oil to it perhaps :shrug: sometimes from my local has a sort of red streak of oily looking stuff through it :scratch:
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Pretty sure that MSG theory is debunked now Mike, I know Ziangs YouTube channel talk about it.
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29 2022 21:04 -
Right nailed the chowmein. Just need to sort ma curry sauce. It's alright but lacking something. Hard to describe but its kinda soapy if that makes sense and its not too much paste. Could they be adding some sort of oil to it perhaps :shrug: sometimes from my local has a sort of red streak of oily looking stuff through it :scratch:
Chin & Choo have you covered dude…

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28 2022 22:00 -

Not just sugar you must add salt with it, they are Yin and Yang of Chinese cooking.

When you buy the cheaper versions of soy sauce your just buying more water so you need more to obtain the same flavour. Remember the test the Chinese use, give the bottle a shake and if bubbles remain on the top it is good quality.
When you buy a bottle of Pearl Bridge (which you will) you will never buy another brand because it is the gold standard every other brand can be judged against.

I cooked beef and tomatoes last night, its a 10min. dish and my go-to if I want something quick. I can post the recipe if anyones interested?

+1 on the soy sauce quality πŸ‘πŸΌ

Has to be Lucky Boat noodles for Chow Mein
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Fri Jul 29 2022 15:53 -

Chinese takeaway and Chinese cuisine aint the same thing :laughs:

I know Ive wandered off subject but I thought you and others would be interested.

Takeaways are the Anglicised versions of a few their own dishes with the exception of Chow Mien which doesn't exist in Chinese cuisine but an invention by the Chinese coolies on the trans Pacific who made it for the non Chinese rail workers who wanted to try their food.

The red streaky oil could be this. It is an accompaniment provided with all Chinese dishes, bit like salt and pepper to us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Here you go Andrew,
30+ years ago I was where you are now, a pot of this and that grew into what I have today, my spice cupboard.
Top - dry goods and spices
Bottom - oils, sauces and pastes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Tried the kikkoman soy sauce last week. Not a fan of that one tbh. Used tesco own brand dark soy and amoy light soy I had from a while back yesterday. Much more preferred.

Tried that chilli oil mike. Definitely makes a nicer curry sauce :thumbs:

Only thing you probably wont agree with, mike, is I dont add any salt at all.

Only problem now is everyone else in the house want me to make it regular :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Fri Aug 12 2022 18:40 -
Tried the kikkoman soy sauce last week. Not a fan of that one tbh. Used tesco own brand dark soy and amoy light soy I had from a while back yesterday. Much more preferred.

Only problem now is everyone else in the house want me to make it regular :laughs:

The one problem of being a good cook is you often end up doing it for everyone, offset by getting to choose what you cook :laughs:

The Chefs at my Chinese make their own Chilli Oil, Im still trying to get them to tell me how, but I do know they put black beans in it.

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Please try Kikkoman again but maybe use less mate, there is no way supermarket own brand or Amoy is better than that.

Or perhaps try Lee Kum Kee

You must have mega Chinese markets near you to get all the stuff at decent prices

Although I must admit the photos you’ve sent me of your chow mein look really good, apart from shatting all over with it curry sauce πŸ˜‚
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Ben wrote: ↑Sun Aug 14 2022 23:42 -

Please try Kikkoman again but maybe use less mate, there is no way supermarket own brand or Amoy is better than that.

Or perhaps try Lee Kum Kee

You must have mega Chinese markets near you to get all the stuff at decent prices

Although I must admit the photos you’ve sent me of your chow mein look really good, apart from shatting all over with it curry sauce πŸ˜‚
2 table spoons of light and 1 dark, 1 table spoon oyster sauce and 2 teaspoons sugar. It just didnt taste anything like what I was accustomed to with my local. Definite different smell to the kikkoman stuff i wasnt keen on.

I tried the shake test with the non kikkoman and it bubbles up a lot..so..I dunno :shrug:

Tons of chinese shops round here mate it's china central. Place called china town and seawoo on my doorstep with other smaller shops around. I just happen to be in tesco when I remember... and I'm too lazy to go to another shop. Just want to get home.
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Lazy c**t πŸ˜ƒ
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The shake test is for Chinese soy only, the Japanese Kikkoman is fermented for a longer period and not used in cooking, it is for dipping, try both on plain boiled rice, cold fish or sliced meat and you will taste the difference.

Of note is that the Chinese chefs do not use English onions in their cooking, they use the large Spanish onions because there is less waste. Because a Spanish onion is sweeter it may also have an added effect in the taste of some of their dishes, especially as they tend to only add the onion at the very end of the cooking process inorder for it to retain a crunch. Where the onion is required for flavour they use dried onion.

I still haven't quite understood how they use garlic but do know they use both dried and fresh which they buy in chilled bags of whole peeled cloves.

Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Mike J wrote: ↑Mon Aug 15 2022 09:33 -
The shake test is for Chinese soy only, the Japanese Kikkoman is fermented for a longer period and not used in cooking, it is for dipping, try both on plain boiled rice, cold fish or sliced meat and you will taste the difference.

Of note is that the Chinese chefs do not use English onions in their cooking, they use the large Spanish onions because there is less waste. Because a Spanish onion is sweeter it may also have an added effect in the taste of some of their dishes, especially as they tend to only add the onion at the very end of the cooking process inorder for it to retain a crunch. Where the onion is required for flavour they use dried onion.

I still haven't quite understood how they use garlic but do know they use both dried and fresh which they buy in chilled bags of whole peeled cloves.

Well that makes sense it smelled fermented/lager/some kind of alcohol.

We better be careful of chinese mafia, giving away all their secrets to the perfect chowmein :giggle:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Ben wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28 2022 22:46 -

I use poached chicken quite a lot, the meat is nice and moist plus it keeps for a few days to use in various dishes. You can also add various things to the poaching water which creates subtly different flavours.

Cooking chicken in the wok can often result in drier/rubbery meat that is easily over cooked.
I recently had a Chinese takeaway and rang them to complain.

When the Chinese man answered the phone, I said " the chicken was rubbery", he said "Ahh, thank you velly much"!

:exit:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Aug 15 2022 21:40 -
Ben wrote: ↑Thu Jul 28 2022 22:46 -

I recently had a Chinese takeaway and rang them to complain.

When the Chinese man answered the phone, I said " the chicken was rubbery", he said "Ahh, thank you velly much"!

:exit:

Beware if your served slices of chicken that are of a consistant size.
Deep frozen packs of steamed chicken slices are available, they only require blasting in a micro before adding to the sauce. Velly quickie servie uppie!

Poots
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Poots »

Clem Stephens.
All hail the Gonk.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Mike J is on the money with the sugar, salt and sesame oil. Sometimes if the dish needs a bit more liquid I add a dash of beer instead of sugar - does the same for the flavour but adds some liquid too. Sesame oil stirred in just before serving. It just adds some aroma and a slight flavour. Always fresh ginger and garlic, never dried. I'm feeling hungry now. I like to cook in the wok over a fire in the garden or on the bank. You can get it proper hot on a good fire.
Poots
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Poots »

Soy chicken is easy.
2 parts light soy
1 part dark soy
1 part Chinese rice wine
Garlic,ginger and spring onions.
Fry veg, add liquids, poach chicken.
Rubbery!