Batter

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Batter

Post by Andrew »

the cheesey bit was a joke regarding tlc :laughs:

yes sour dough sounds about right.
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

We often make soda bread.. It's got to be the easiest thing to make.
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman »

oops I'm ever the literalist Andrew. :red:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Four quid for a loaf? You middle class b*****d!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Thu Mar 08 2018 18:47 -
There is a French baker surprisingly in the Chelsea area that sells a bread that is around ten pound a pop. It's name escapes me at present. :laughs:

As for supermarket bread, on the whole, it's pony. Like Phil the wife makes soda bread and olive bread. :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

:thumbs:

London weighting...same loaf would probably two quid oop where you live. :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

martin godliman wrote: Thu Mar 08 2018 21:17 -
:thumbs:

London weighting...same loaf would probably two quid oop where you live. :wink:
It'd still be a middle class loaf! :laughs:
mickmcd
Chub
Chub

Post by mickmcd »

phil.c wrote: Thu Mar 08 2018 18:21 -
We often make soda bread.. It's got to be the easiest thing to make.
Warm soda bread fresh from the griddle and lashings of REAL butter when I was growing up at home.............. fecking marvellous ....

(heart attack at 49?? Wonder why ...................
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

I sort of like soda bread for change of a bit crumbly cakey texture and I don't like that dryness in the mouth afterwards from the soda like scones give you....easy enough to make, but it's no replacement for well made bread with lots of gluten and a hard crust.

One crime I think shop bought bread does even the posh middle class artisan ones so dear to me is to load it with too much salt.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Gave it another go with lumpy batter. Good idea with the spoon btw. Better than a whisk even trying to make it lumpy on purpose :smile:

Good results but came out tough and soggy. I used fosters lager maybe that wqs the issue 😣 :laughs:
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

Go more gentle with the heat 😅
Greetings from the continent,

Tim
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Feck it man. Just went to kfc :laughs:
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

if you are after kfc like chicken anyway you should go for that buttermilk thing i sent you.

Tim
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Not overly keen on kfc, bit hard some bits, but it was closer than macdonalds and they're s***e.

Lumpy beer batter i thinks the winner. I'll need to get some more becks in. that fosters is pish.

I hear Ben loves becks too, he'd love a becks beer batter fried chicken :lol:
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

I hear Ben loves becks too, he'd love a becks beer batter fried chicken :lol:
:thumbs: :laughs:

He cant get enough of the stuff.......... :laughs:
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

All from the wonderful city of Bremen. 💚

Tim
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Becks is an utterly revolting lager, full of chemicals with a vile after taste.

I only drink ice cold bottles of Estrella and never ever have a hangover.

Although it’s at least a week off for me after guzzling 72 bottles whilst watching the racing last week!!

I like this thread, Tim are you a trained chef?
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

Like the Estrella maself,, get it on holiday in Tenerife. Start at 10am. Buckled fur 4pm. Kip then more more more👍🏻
DANCES WAE PIKE
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

Ben wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 20:04 -
Becks is an utterly revolting lager, full of chemicals with a vile after taste.

I only drink ice cold bottles of Estrella and never ever have a hangover.

Although it’s at least a week off for me after guzzling 72 bottles whilst watching the racing last week!!

I like this thread, Tim are you a trained chef?
Yes I am!

72 beers is pretty neat I’d say 🙈

Tim
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Cool, I think you should post a recipe once a week :thumbs:
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

Lol I am not that much of a recipe guy. Only for specific things I have specific recipes, but no whole meal stuff.
However if you have a certain request I could write that up 👍

Tim
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Thanks Tim I will bear that in mind 👍🏼

Actually coming to think of it, something simple that I struggle with is the perfect poached egg, I’ve tried all sorts such as salting the water, a few drops of vinegar, slowly stirring the water, whisking to create a vortex and so on but I can never create that perfect shape like a chef can, what’s the secret?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

not tried one of they egg poacher things, wee plastic cup things.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Ben wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 22:14 -

Actually coming to think of it, something simple that I struggle with is the perfect poached egg, I’ve tried all sorts such as salting the water, a few drops of vinegar, slowly stirring the water, whisking to create a vortex and so on but I can never create that perfect shape like a chef can, what’s the secret?
A couple of inches of water, tip the egg in from a small dish and not direct from the shell, don't have the water too hot, just, and I mean just, a bubbling simmer and I use a table spoon to gently pour water over the top to turn the white sticking out of the water white.

As it happens, I do it pretty much exactly like this.
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

When you make poached eggs professionally you usually use a combi steamer. 50 minutes @ 64 Celsius and 100%steam gives you the perfectly poached egg. They can sit in the steamer for up to 3 hours and are perfect.

For homecooking you could achieve the same with a stick Sous vide cooker (thermaliser). Might be something for a technology guy like yourself.

Otherwise just take a large enough sauce pan, full with water and salt generously (10 g per litre) and add about 25 ml (tablespoon) of mild vinegar (Cidre, Apple etc. no Balsamico or all purpose), bring to boil.

Break up eggs into small containers. One egg per container.

When the water boiled take a whisker and bring to spin, there has to be a swirl. You then gently drop the eggs into the swirl. The combination of movement, heat, salts and acidity create a quick cover around the egg white.

Wait till the water starts to simmer, then turn down heat and let them sit. Size m eggs should take about 2 min in total, bigger eggs a little longer. But the best way is to take a skimmer and just gently lift them out. Just feel gently with your finger tips and you will know how long till your pferered hardness. Once they are done you lift them out and put on a moist plate. You can trim off the egg white that isn’t shaped nicely. Then jus flirt with a spoon and use as desired.

Goes perfectly with toasted brioche and sauce bernaise (oeuff Benedict) or with nice new asparagus and ham.

Edit: lol when I started my reply the video was not here yet. Looks legit 👌

Tim
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Post by RAB-HENDO »

How’s about veg pakora😛
DANCES WAE PIKE
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

nordbeck wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 23:24 -

When you make poached eggs professionally you usually use a combi steamer. 50 minutes @ 64 Celsius and 100%steam gives you the perfectly poached egg. They can sit in the steamer for up to 3 hours and are perfect.

For homecooking you could achieve the same with a stick Sous vide cooker (thermaliser). Might be something for a technology guy like yourself.

Otherwise just take a large enough sauce pan, full with water and salt generously (10 g per litre) and add about 25 ml (tablespoon) of mild vinegar (Cidre, Apple etc. no Balsamico or all purpose), bring to boil.

When the water boiled take a whisker and bring to spin, there has to be a swirl. You then gently drop the eggs into the swirl. The combination of movement, heat, salts and acidity create a quick cover around the egg white.

Wait till the water starts to simmer, then turn down heat and let them sit. Size m eggs should take about 2 min in total, bigger eggs a little longer. But the best way is to take a skimmer and just gently lift them out. Just feel gently with your finger tips and you will know how long till your pferered hardness. Once they are done you lift them out and put on a moist plate. You can trim off the egg white that isn’t shaped nicely. Then jus flirt with a spoon and use as desired.

Goes perfectly with toasted brioche and sauce bernaise (oeuff Benedict) or with nice new asparagus and ham.

Many thanks for that Tim.
Eggs Benedict with Patanegra my perfect breakfast.

My glass hob cracked yest. dual fuel AEG coming tomorrow, do it once and do it right!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
nordbeck
Chub
Chub

Post by nordbeck »

Mike J wrote: Wed Mar 21 2018 10:23 -
nordbeck wrote: Mon Mar 19 2018 23:24 -

Many thanks for that Tim.
Eggs Benedict with Patanegra my perfect breakfast.

My glass hob cracked yest. dual fuel AEG coming tomorrow, do it once and do it right!
Very welcome. Pata negra is lovely 😍

Congrats on the stove. Sounds like a beast.

Tim
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

nordbeck wrote: Tue Mar 06 2018 12:50 -
Mike J wrote: Tue Mar 06 2018 09:26 -
Tim, do you have a recipe for the perfect pancake mix, and what oil would you advise.

I use a De Buyer Mineral B and like them ultra thin with lots of lemon juice and white sugar (Limie style).

Thanks in advance.
Indeed I do 👌

Start of with a lump of butter (in this case about 40g) and brown it in a casserole. Don’t get it black or burnt but nicely brown and caramelized. Set aside and let cool down but not so much that it gets solid again.

Whisk 2 eggs, a pinch of salt, 25g of vanilla sugar and a 1/4 scratched out pod of fresh vanilla, just whisk till it is dissolved.

Add about 150g of milk and whisk again, now add sifted pastry flour till you have a nice runny consistency. Now quickly stir in the browned butter. Cover and set aside. Let it rest at least 45 minutes (you can also do this days before and leave it in the fridge up to 4days without risk).

The gluten in the flower will expand and possibly thicken the batter again, so check before use and otherwise attach with a little more milk.

Bring favorite pan to medium heat and use butter, when the bubbles become bigger, spread out the batter very thinly and quickly bake to preference. Classical French wants them to be pale and colourless but I prefer a bit of color. Goes well with almost everything...

Hope it turns out well. 👍

Okay, NOW I am ready to try your pancake recipe.
Previously - first I sourced a Vanilla pod (Madagascar) then my glass hob (English) cracked, to install my new (German) cooker some work was required on my (English) cabinets, a gas fitter (Local) was required to install the gas hob, the floor required raising (self) finally everything was set to go. Ah but the central heating system had stopped operating brrr, gas fitter again, parts (English) required, gas fitter again, more eggs as I had eaten the others, and now I am finally ready to make the pancakes, tomorrow!

During the above my Demeyere Pans (Belgium) were delivered, made to special order but without the faults of those I had rejected in the shop, but oh no, they all had the same fault (you were right Tim) so yest a trip to drop-off location to ship them back and receive my full refund immediately thereafter.

Fingers crossed for me - please!

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Best ask the missues,it was only last year i learnt how to turn the cooker on
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.