Digital thermometer probe

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Digital thermometer probe

Post by Ben »

Since I started using a digital thermometer probe for the majority of my cooking the results have been very impressive, no more dry meat or over cooked steak.

It even saved the day with the very expensive Turkey my Sister bought at Christmas, the instructions on the box said 3hrs, we cooked it to 165F in under 90 mins! It would’ve been ruined if we didn’t have the thermometer.

I use the Redi Check BBQ and also the Redi Check handheld probe.

The internet has the “done” temps for every type and it of meat you can think of!

Does anyone else use this method and if so what brand do you trust?
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Digital thermometer probe

Post by Duncan Holmes »

I use one more and more, started off with using it for pan fried rib eye to get that perfect balance of heat right through but bleeding on the plate.

132oF seams to work for me.

As important in my kitchen is the oven thermometer, we have a very good oven but i don't trust it's in built thermostat.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 24 2019 08:32 -
I use one more and more, started off with using it for pan fried rib eye to get that perfect balance of heat right through but bleeding on the plate.

As important in my kitchen is the oven thermometer, we have a very good oven but i don't trust it's in built thermostat.
How do you do your steaks Duncan?

DO you dry brine for at least 2hrs a side before you cook ?

Do you reverse sear, or just direct cook on a griddle for the entire cooking process?

For best results I can recommend giving them a good dry brine for at least 6hrs in the fridge, then bring them up to room temp.

Either slow cook on the BBQ (120degf) or smoker if you have, or in the oven till the internal temperature is around 120deg ish. Leave to rest for 10 mins then high heat sear until you get to 130-135deg f for med rare......perfect every time :wink:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Thu Jan 24 2019 08:42 -
Duncan Holmes wrote: Thu Jan 24 2019 08:32 -

How do you do your steaks Duncan?

DO you dry brine for at least 2hrs a side before you cook ?

Do you reverse sear, or just direct cook on a griddle for the entire cooking process?

For best results I can recommend giving them a good dry brine for at least 6hrs in the fridge, then bring them up to room temp.

Either slow cook on the BBQ (120degf) or smoker if you have, or in the oven till the internal temperature is around 120deg ish. Leave to rest for 10 mins then high heat sear until you get to 130-135deg f for med rare......perfect every time :wink:
Always a rib eye.

Dry brine at room temp for a few hours, then straight in to a very hot dry pan. A single turn, when a 125, small knob of butter, at 132 take out of the pan, rest wrapped in foil, while I give the chips their final fry.

Serve, with a small amount of nice a from the foil poured on top and a couple of grinds of pepper. Hand cut chips in dripping, butter sauted field mushroom and cherry toms warmed in a cool oven while still on the vine.

Ice cold Heineken,

I will.try the smoker method when I finally get mine up and running :red:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Mmmm making my mouth water just reading that :grin:

I agree gotta be ribeye, or even bettter bone in ribeye (tomahawk).

Give it a shot slow cooking to 120ish in the oven first, then hit with high heat sear 😉 it don’t need to be a bbq or smoker, they (IMO) just give itvthat “little” bit extra 😉
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I use a thermo for some chicken dishes, not very often as all my chickens are sectioned with the bones made into stock.

For steak I buy myself I use the 2:1 process, 2min on one side 1 on the other and rest for 2 while I deglaze.

All other steak the Pro finger and the palm as below.
Method - by pressing the finger on the palm area below the thumb on a relaxed hand.
Rare - with the tip of your index finger to the tip of your thumb.
Medium-Rare - with the tip of your middle finger on the tip of your thumb.
Medium - with the tip of your ring finger to the tip of your thumb
Well-Done - tip of your little finger.... etc. (But who wants well done steak?)
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

I think the finger method only works accurately when cooking steaks day in day out, for me I like to use technology to help

I am salivating with all this talk of food

For steak lovers you must watch the ‘sous vide everything’ channel, they cook some truly amazing steaks
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Ben wrote: Thu Jan 24 2019 12:22 -
I think the finger method only works accurately when cooking steaks day in day out, for me I like to use technology to help

I am salivating with all this talk of food

For steak lovers you must watch the ‘sous vide everything’ channel, they cook some truly amazing steaks

Just before Christmas I had possibly the finest piece of beef I have ever tasted cooked sous vide. 32 aged Angus top fillet.

Beautifully seared, sliced to show a brown out edge with a hot but raw centre. Melted in the mouth like no other beef I have ever tasted, looked too good to eat on the plate, and tasted Devine.

So good, i went back 2 days later with the wife. :wink: