Sous Vide Duck

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Sous Vide Duck

Post by Ben »

Did duck breast in my Sous Vide this weekend, it was hands down the best I’ve ever had, my parents both agreed.

Trim the breasts of excess fat, score the skin, a bit of salt then into a vacuum bag, 1hr in the water bath at 131F then placed in cold water for 30 mins to stop it cooking, finished in the pan until the skin crisps.

Served it with fondant potatoes, steamed asparagus tips and a beetroot/red onion/orange/feta/parsley salad with a plum sauce, it was tremendous
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Re: Sous Vide Duck

Post by Ben »

Oh and whilst the duck was resting for 5 mins I used my handheld smoker with applewood, gave it a nice delicate smoky taste
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Sounds nice, especially if your guests thought so too.

Personally anything I cant cook in an hour isn't for me.
My duck breast go to is to score, rub with 5spice, breast down in a thick pan and baste, followed a single turn and rest.
Thinly sliced with a drizzle of honey served over noodles that have been sprinkled with sesame oil and dark soy.

I buy whole ducks from Sainsbury's (cheaper than Tesco) bone them out, breasts as above, legs and wings for crispy with pancakes, bones for stock, and use the ally tray for oven chips.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Ben wrote: Mon Apr 01 2019 11:41 -
Oh and whilst the duck was resting for 5 mins I used my handheld smoker with applewood, gave it a nice delicate smoky taste
You're turning into a right little Raymond Blanc aint ya..... :thumbs:

I hope you're gonna pull out all the stops when I come up in May.... :grin: :wink: