Lamb shanks

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Lamb shanks

Post by Nobby C »

In the slow cooker for 8 hours, damn these things are good.
IMG-20190407-WA0000.jpg
Crispy roast spuds too. Sunday special, gotta love a hearty meal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
juttle
Perch
Perch

Re: Lamb shanks

Post by juttle »

Shanks are bloody delicious, mate. It’s a shame they can’t breed lambs with more suitable legs, but then again, an eight legged lamb would probably outrun many a collie!
Bob
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

I'll have a go,what did you put them in the slow cooker with?
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

food of gods!

I only get shanks, I'm the only one in the family that likes lamb so a sunday lamb joint is a no no :cry:
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

There's a fair amount of juices that come out of the meat so I just put a Knorr stock pot concentrate in there, splash of wine, garlic and rosemary. A metal bowl let's you brown the meat in situ.
IMG-20190305-WA0005.jpg
This is what I use, about 30 quid from Argos.
I save excess gravy juice, freeze and use again next time, it concentrates the flavour each batch.
My slow cooker (pictured) has a metal bowl which is hob friendly.
Pour a tablespoon of olive oil in metal pot and heat up on the hob.
Squash a lamb stock cube in more oil and rub the paste over the meat.
Season meat and add to olive oil in the pot and add flour, peeled garlic bulbs and rosemary.
Brown all areas gently,when done, place in main body.
Add onion, carrots, parsnips and spuds or whatever you want, don't chop up fine, they'll disintegrate.
Add glass of wine, any colour, doesn't really matter, a Knorr stock pot concentrate and maybe just a little water.
Set heat to low.
Come back in 7 to 8 hours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nobby C on Mon Apr 08 2019 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Seems like a tasty dish to me.
Tho I much prefer my lower end boned out and cooked as a tagine.

The much vaunted shank served in fast food pubs and elsewhere comes prepacked in mico bags and is served with a pair of scissors, gravy and all (prove by asking for extra gravy).
Those in butchers are odds and ends from.....why only lambmeat?? Where does ewe meat go?

Far better to buy a whole leg when the price is £12-14 and use a wood saw, that way you know what your getting.
Last edited by Mike J on Fri Jul 26 2019 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

no good killing ewes or there wont be any lambs ;)
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Ewe meat = mutton. :smile:
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Mutton shanks are even better, the first problem to overcome is finding the mutton in the first place!
Bob
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Mike J wrote: Mon Apr 08 2019 10:02 -
Seems like a tasty dish to me.
Tho I much prefer my lower end bined out and cooked as a tagine.

The much vaunted shank served in fast food pubs and elsewhere comes prepacked in mico bags and is served with a pair of scissors, gravy and all (prove by asking for extra gravy).
Those in butchers are odds and ends from.....why only lambmeat?? Where does ewe meat go?

Far better to buy a whole leg when the price is £12-14 and use a wood saw, that way you know what your getting.
Because a lamb is slaughtered to make lamb (!) and the shanks are the cut offs from what is served as half leg?
Who cares, it rocks.
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Actually, the best shanks come from the shoulder. Back in my butchery days we could always sell legs, but few people wanted the shoulders as they considered it too fatty. I always preferred it as the taste was better, but we used to remove the knuckles, or shanks, and sell them separately and bone the rest of the shoulder for stews.
Bob
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Oh for a decent side of mutton.
When I was farming a retired ewe made less than £5 at market, going for greyhound meat, a local term I don't know of it was.
I didn't have the money to buy a starter flock so picked up ewes that looked half decent, borrowed a ram and bred my own. It took me four years but result was a mongrel flock of 170 that kept all the rubbish down through the summer and made good money when I finished them on stuble turnips after harvest.
The best thing about having your own flock is that you can run on a few for mutton, big slow roasting shoulders, chops that have a proper eye and tastey legs that you really can carve into.
Other meat came from eight sows for myself and gifts at Christmas, ducks and geese, venison and trout, yes we ate well, but dont think it was easy, it all requires skinning, cutting, choping and packing and that takes time, lots of precious time.
I dont regret leaving it behind nor picking up my meat from a supermarket or a decent butchers, it makes everything so simple, even if mutton has to be forsaken.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

For mutton try a halal butcher.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

tigger996 wrote: Thu Jul 25 2019 17:32 -
For mutton try a halal butcher.

I use an Halal butcher but they only sell lamb and goat, the goat is a little older but hardly mutton age, it makes a superb curry tho.
Best about a knife killed animal is it can be allowed to mature because complete lack of blood in the veins and its the blood that goes off first.