Wonton noodle soup... Hai Karate!

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Wonton noodle soup... Hai Karate!

Post by Nobby C »

IMG_20190511_172921.jpg
Pork mince, prawns, water chestnuts, spring onions and spice.
Thai supermarket apocalypso :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Wonton noodle soup... Hai Karate!

Post by Mike J »

100% :thumbs:

My favourite quick and easy meal.
The way I do it;
Defrost 6 pork or prawn wontons, slice 3 button mushrooms, a few frozen peas, chopped small red onion and a bundle of Udon noodles all added to 3/4pint of boiling water with a level tsp of Maggies Wonton Soup Base.
10 mins on the stove and yummy!!

Blimey writing that has got me salivating!

PS I serve mine in a pasta bowl as well :grin:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

I made these mice elf Mike, I just bought the stock, noodles and wraps extra.
The red blobs are chilli oil paste with crunchy garlic. You can feed 8 people for around £30 max, 100 wontons in total
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Nobby C wrote: Wed May 22 2019 15:00 -
I made these mice elf Mike, I just bought the stock, noodles and wraps extra.
The red blobs are chilli oil paste with crunchy garlic. You can feed 8 people for around £30 max, 100 wontons in total

Well done, hats off to you :thumbs:
You must be massive or yours are tiny, 100 between 8 equates to 12 apiece and tasters for the chef (wow)!
Do you make your own chillie crunch? If yes, how?

Ive always said I would make wontons myself, even got the wraps in the freezer!
Beef, spring onion and ginger are the ones I really like, an eatery near me does them as dim sum but its b hard to get a table as its full of Chinese.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

1558599949398684061780122600627.jpg
The chilli is just crushed, dried peppers, peanut oil and roasted garlic but its cheaper and easier to buy a jar.
The wraps are roughly 2 inches (old money 😁) square, a teaspoon of mix goes in them so a pound of mince and about 20 uncooked prawns make up the filling. I never thought that would go so far and frankly, we are officially wontonned out now.
I hand chop the prawns and veg rather than blend them, it leaves it more chunky.
Add a splash of ginger vinegar, sherry and soy sauce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Okay, down to business?
What veg do you add?
What is ginger vinegar? Been in every Asian Supermarket Ive ever passed and never seen it. Japanese pickled ginger is superb btw.
Do you use egg to seal the wrap?
How long to cook?

どうも
(Cheers)
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Get some white vinegar, finely chop or 'julienne' (la de da) some fresh root ginger, add brown sugar and star anise. Leave to steep for a, week or so.
The only veg is the spring onion and water chestnut mixed with the prawn/pork mix. A sprinkle of the old coriander leaf on the served product doesn't go amiss. You could use some choi sam or maybe leaf greens as an extra, I don't bother.
Just dollop a teaspoon of mix in the centre of the wrap and pinch and fold closed, no egg.
Drop in boiling water and when they pop up and float, like little magical ducklings they're done.
Yoi ichinichi wo
(have a nice day)
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Arigato :thumbs:

I visited my favourite greengrocer yesterday and his good lady who works the till is Thai.
So not to miss an opportunity I asked her how chilli garlic mix is made.....and she looked at me blankly!
My Thai is hopeless and her English is basic but this is how she told me she makes hers.
Red & Green chillies chopped very very fine, same with fresh garlics and a bit of ginger then sprinkle with Fish Sauce and mash the whole lot in a morter and pestle.
She didnt mention using any oil but Im going to give it a go and see what comes out.
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

I think that's called Nam Prik, (seriously). Chopped chilli, garlic, fish sauce and lime juice. Bit of coriander leaf on top.

Kanpai!
(cheers).