Home grown Tatie's

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Home grown Tatie's

Post by Cyprio »

After reading Zodiac at the start of lockdown started a veg patch. I found a bag containing 4
Baking potatoes from Tesco that I missed in the cupboard which had started to grow roots.
As I was unable To get bedding plants, I decided to plant them.

So far a great crop they have produced. :cool:
6513C4B4-723D-4C33-AB85-73967355F671.jpeg
Today I put my hand beneath the next one and found it had given birth to
Mr Potato Head :afraid:
618A50D4-C85E-4C2B-806E-BC67840DBBB8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Home grown Tatie's

Post by davelumb »

:afraid:

:laughs:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Looks like a mole :laughs: .

Will
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

1596638648179194719650514767509.jpg
My first crop of earlies..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

^^^
Good start Gav. :cool:
I've only bothered with toms Cues and runners in the past, but I've just cleared a patch of land we purchased next to us and a veg patch is defo on the cards as part of the landscaping.
Found growing your own very rewarding. Especially the quality, like yours above no damage and the taste is so much better than the week old damaged high priced supermarket veg.
Noticed the same with meat supplies, since lock down I only purchase from the butcher, quality meat without the added fat and water :thumbs:
Andy Carpenter
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Yes I'm quite chuffed with the results, as total novice. Had lots of kale and broad beans, a lot of the carrots look about ready, and that's the first Maris peers and cultra I dug up today, there's a few Maris piper and king Edwards that can wait a few weeks. Got beetroot, onions and a 2nd wave of carrots too. Done quite well in a confined space methinks.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Proud moment! Tatties, carrots, beans and broccoli for dinner, all out the garden. With salmon and a cheese sauce, delicious, I hope!
15975925408361980801401201128024.jpg
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Nice.
Just dug up one plant that foliage had died right back and unearthed all these.
Still got two plants with some bakers growing.
0B9A3AFA-D305-47AE-A70D-9128068A29EF.jpeg
Next door just gave me some Purple Broccoli plants.
As long as I can keep killing the caterpillar’s that find them irresistible and keep the pigeon’s away they should be good for late Feb.

Quite chuffed with the results from no effort :laughs:
Looking forward to having a proper go next year :cool:
Andy Carpenter
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Freebie tatties always seem to do well.
I reckon they know when you've given them a reprieve and pay you back accordingly.
Those carrots look scrumptious, a quick rub on the trouser leg, nip off the tip and Id be crunching in a jiffy :grin:

Apart from growing a bean up an old sea rod Ive also grown one through an ornamental tree, the leading tip is now waving in the wind 9ft plus above its roots, most beans I eat as I potter around the garden or wok fry with a dash of sugar, those that are missed are seed for next year.
My Toms are grown from seed recovered from fruit from Tesco's, damn things are growing like crazy with up to 25fruits on each truss, all in a planter filled with mole hills and sheep dung collected in my bait bucket.

IMG_2101.JPG
The blackberries in the background have yielded a shopping bag full in the bait freezer, a handful with breakfast cereal the 2019's crop lasted until this April.

As kids we ate cherries from a tree my mother grew from a pip, I have a fig grown from one that went off, but it has yet to bear fruit.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus