Chillie paste.

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Chillie paste.

Post by Mike J »

Anyone ever made their own chilli paste or sauce?

Im a fan of spicy food and often have a bottle of Encona Scotch Bonnet sauce on the table to give dishes an extra kick.

This has been a good year for my outdoor chillies so Im going to try making my own sauce.

Ideas, suggestions, anyone with experience of making chilli sauce out there?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
juttle
Perch
Perch

Re: Chillie paste.

Post by juttle »

I used to make sherry pepper sauce years ago for a customer in a pub I ran. Apparently it’s a regular addition to all sorts of stuff on St. kitts, where this guy was from. All you need is a bottle of sherry, I was told to use VP as there was no point in using decent stuff, empty it into a container and then stuff the empty bottle with the hottest chillies you can find, chopped makes it easier, and then pour the sherry back in. Obviously you won’t get all the sherry back in the bottle so keep it sealed in another bottle. Every day shake the bottle with the chillies and they will break down enough to allow a bit more of the sherry to be put back in the original bottle. Keep doing this until all the sherry is back in its original bottle any you’re pretty much there.

This sauce improves with age. Apparently, on St. kitts, the locals have bottles of this stuff stored away and the one in use could well be 5 or 10 years old!
Bob
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

juttle wrote: Fri Aug 21 2020 11:06 -
I used to make sherry pepper sauce years ago for a customer in a pub I ran. Apparently it’s a regular addition to all sorts of stuff on St. kitts, where this guy was from. All you need is a bottle of sherry, I was told to use VP as there was no point in using decent stuff, empty it into a container and then stuff the empty bottle with the hottest chillies you can find, chopped makes it easier, and then pour the sherry back in. Obviously you won’t get all the sherry back in the bottle so keep it sealed in another bottle. Every day shake the bottle with the chillies and they will break down enough to allow a bit more of the sherry to be put back in the original bottle. Keep doing this until all the sherry is back in its original bottle any you’re pretty much there.

This sauce improves with age. Apparently, on St. kitts, the locals have bottles of this stuff stored away and the one in use could well be 5 or 10 years old!

Wow that sound good, Im definately going to try that, thanks :thumbs:
Somewhere I might have a bottle of cheapo (only for cooking you understand) if not it will be trip to the shops.

Will use some the bullets and scotch bonnets as a trial run.

:stew:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

I always used habaneros because that’s what I could get hold of. Habaneros also have a slightly sweet fruity taste to them as well, rather than just being bl00dy hot!
Bob
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Had the Sherry so I started immediately after your reply.

I only prepped 4 Scotch Bonnets and 35 Biquinhos but despite using rubber gloves and full eye protection but still suffered two hours of sneezing and sniffling because I forgot the face mask.

:handshake:
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Yes, they do do that to you, don’t they. Once, while prepping a huge curry for my son’s mates to consume while watching a boxing match, I inadvertently took a break for a quick pee. You can guess the rest, never, ever, again!
Bob
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

A lady we work for grows dozens of different chilli varieties. We built her a massive greenhouse and she has hundreds of chillies each year. Her favourite way of using them is to make chilli jam. I've never tried it but I like the sound of it. I'm not a massive fan of spicy food but do make curries and chillies to my own tastes. I like a sweet chilli dipping sauce with Thai style fish cakes.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

I used to grow loads of jalapeños in the green house,mainly used to make a chutney with them and the onions I grew but also used to pickle them in rings which are handy to add to other dishes. My favourite way to use them was to cut them lengthways,scoop out the seeds then fill with chopped up bacon and cheese. Cook them in the oven on a foil lined baking tray , lovely!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

There is a mild chilli grown in Spain that they deep fry, it is somewhat similar to a Jalapeno and when fried has a slight crunchy texture.

Jalapeño curry one of my go to quick meals.
Peppers sliced and sauted in oil with a chopped onion and a drop of water, add and fry off some curry paste or powder and finally add the slices of steak until browned through. Add frozen peas if you want veg. rice from a 2min microwave packet, try Carribean rice and peas as a change.
Job done in under ten mins.
Tip; steak is sliced thin by part freezing or if frozen when its slightly defrosted,

If you want more protien without the meat use a tin of Adzuki beans instead (they go great with Chinese curry sauce as well).

Last edited by Mike J on Tue Sep 08 2020 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

What makes this recipe so attractive for me is that the result clearly keeps for a very long time and it only contains two ingredients.
All the recipes I have found say to comsume within a year most less than six months and want additions of spices, onion, etc.

If its the alcohol that makes it keep so well Ive been wondering if something stronger like rum, gin or vodka might even improve it. :grin:

Cooking is so much better than fishing, it has infinitely more variables.

juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

I can’t see it doing any harm, after all all you’ll be doing is upping the alcohol count. I think I good slug of rum should make it taste like the place the recipe came from originally!
Bob
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

juttle wrote: Sun Aug 23 2020 15:43 -
I can’t see it doing any harm, after all all you’ll be doing is upping the alcohol count. I think I good slug of rum should make it taste like the place the recipe came from originally!

Ive been rethinking the prep on what Im calling the St Kitts Jutt recipe.

My next batch will be 50/50 with rum with the chillies pulped in my food blender, to help it mature quicker and increase the flavours.

(Yes I have a spare blender)

juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 24 2020 09:19 -
juttle wrote: Sun Aug 23 2020 15:43 -

Ive been rethinking the prep on what Im calling the St Kitts Jutt recipe.

My next batch will be 50/50 with rum with the chillies pulped in my food blender, to help it mature quicker and increase the flavours.

(Yes I have a spare blender)

You should also get more chillies in the bottle that way Mike, win - win all round I’d say! The last time I did it I ended up ramming the chillies into the bottle with the handle of a wooden spoon. I don’t think it would have been possible to get any more in if I’d resorted to a hammer!
Bob
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

Just made some.Used a clear bottle, the wife has nicked it as a decoration in the kitchen!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

jack wrote: Sat Aug 29 2020 15:21 -
Just made some.Used a clear bottle, the wife has nicked it as a decoration in the kitchen!

Ha ha :grin:

I used a Soy sauce bottle and its crammed and it leaks when shook.
I bought 4 more schotch bonnets the other day and have more chillies ripening in the sun, so my plan is to blend them with all the previous mix with some rum and put everything in a screw top jar, until I can find a medium sized bottle.

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Update on Jutt's St Kitts Chillie Sauce.

All the Original sauce into a bowl
Added 4 Scotch Bonnets & 20 Biquinho chillies all deseeded plus 1/2 cup of sherry
Power blended to a fine constituency = 400gms and it filled a honey jar.

Fantastic aroma and I couldn't resist a taste, and it is simply brilliant!!

Score 8.5 out of 10 already.

Highly recommended :thumbs: try it and see for yourself.

juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

And it’ll get better with age - unlike me!
Bob
jack
Perch
Perch

WARNING!

Post by jack »

For all of you that have made the sherry and chilli sauce. Decided to try mine on some scrambled eggs for breakfast, didn't expect it to go off like a bottle fizzy pop! First time you open yours do it outside or over the kitchen sink!!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: WARNING!

Post by Mike J »

jack wrote: Sat Sep 19 2020 09:12 -
For all of you that have made the sherry and chilli sauce. Decided to try mine on some scrambled eggs for breakfast, didn't expect it to go off like a bottle fizzy pop! First time you open yours do it outside or over the kitchen sink!!

I have opened mine 5or6 times and never had that happen.
Sherry should not be fizzy so where do you think the gas in yours came from?

Doubt it was the chillies as some of my Scotch Bonnets were well advanced, the bullets ultra fresh just snipped off the bushes.
I did notice the level drop 4-5mm in the first week but put that down to the chillie flesh absorbing the sherry.
I will give it another taster today before I blend 12 more bonnets into the mix.

Mods - would it be possible to swop these two posts to the appropiate thread in Food and Drink Forum ? Thank you :handshake:

juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

I’ve been making the stuff for years and never experienced anything like that!
Bob
markyboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by markyboy »

Mike J wrote: Sat Sep 19 2020 12:23 -
jack wrote: Sat Sep 19 2020 09:12 -

I have opened mine 5or6 times and never had that happen.
Sherry should not be fizzy so where do you think the gas in yours came from?

Doubt it was the chillies as some of my Scotch Bonnets were well advanced, the bullets ultra fresh just snipped off the bushes.
I did notice the level drop 4-5mm in the first week but put that down to the chillie flesh absorbing the sherry.
I will give it another taster today before I blend 12 more bonnets into the mix.

Mods - would it be possible to swop these two posts to the appropiate thread in Food and Drink Forum ? Thank you :handshake:

Done (hopefully :laughs: ) :thumbs:
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

Just QC sherry and green and red chillies from the local market made up in an empty wine bottle. Get a 'fizz ' every time I open it.
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

I have no idea why it's happening Mike.I was hoping somebody on here could help with that😊 Apologies for posting in the wrong section.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

juttle wrote: Tue Sep 08 2020 22:38 -
And it’ll get better with age - unlike me!
Better with age, your telling me, wow, its now amazing!

Its been 4 months since I blended in the last of the chillis and moved the whole mix into an old honey jar.
This week I started on it and it is simply outstanding in flavour and heat, so much better than anything Ive ever had from from the Caribbean shops.
In store the chilli flesh sunk into a pulp on the bottom with the now red sherry laying ontop, to get everything mixed up just shake or a stir.

IMG_2286.JPG

Highly recommended, try making it yourself and see.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Just buy Bunsters "s**t the Bed" sauce. Lovely
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chico 48 PAC wrote: Mon Jan 25 2021 14:03 -
Just buy Bunsters "s**t the Bed" sauce. Lovely

More fun making your own, especially when you've got the plants growing.

Tip; mine go through the winter in the kitchen window sill, they are sending out new growth already.

Last edited by Mike J on Wed Jan 27 2021 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

I'm going to get back into chillie growing this year,5 different varieties of seeds. Going to have a go at jutts hot sauce.
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Mike J wrote: Fri Aug 21 2020 10:15 -
Anyone ever made their own chilli paste or sauce?

Im a fan of spicy food and often have a bottle of Encona Scotch Bonnet sauce on the table to give dishes an extra kick.

This has been a good year for my outdoor chillies so Im going to try making my own sauce.

Ideas, suggestions, anyone with experience of making chilli sauce out there?

I made some chilli pickle and pickled chillies this year 🤣

The chilli pickle was superb, still got some now! Id have to dig the recepie out but theres no fixed method really.

Mine were home grown but im sure shop bought ones from an asian supermarket would do well. I did two, one with green chili's (chang rai) and the other with pimenta da neyde, a Brazilian variety and a couple of chocolate douglas, sgit me they're hot!!

Basically cut em all up fryup some spices, cumin seeds coriander etc,. Bang em in some oil and vinegar mix in a sterilised jar and put em in a dark cupboard

The pickled chilli's just went whole/halved into brine. Very nice but the chilli pickle is the one. Kerps for ages due to the oil content

Heres last years haul from the greenhouse, which was a poor year and i moved house to an area with not as much sun . Secret is start em in January/February
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Tue Jan 26 2021 20:50 -
I'm going to get back into chillie growing this year,5 different varieties of seeds. Going to have a go at jutts hot sauce.
Jutt's sauce is dead simple, you certainly wont be disappointed.

I grew a few from a starter pack that Id had kicking around for ages, some grew strongly so has their offspring. I found was they can take 4-6weeks to germinate, but grow well outside and are quite hardy eg;mine only came inside in mid November.
Id previously seen chillie plants trimmed into small pot grown bushes so I tried it with the 3-4ft variety and got it fruiting at 6".
Ive successfully used seed from fresh chillies, tried and failed with pickled chillies but now trying seed from the chillies in stuffed olives.

I also experimented with two tubs of ginger, both are surviving winter outside :grin:

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

I usually start mine from seed in the house around now and move them to the greenhouse when it warms up a bit.Our garden is south facing so gets the sun all day. One of the seed types I bought this time is an indoor variety that stays small and bushy but looks to be high yielding so it will be interesting to try that one out. I'll report back in the autumn with any recommendations