Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7180
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by John Milford » Mon Oct 19 2020 12:35

Cakes, that is? 🤔
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3501
Joined: Mon Sep 14 2015 15:45
Location: Where Sheep are Nervous.

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by alan behenna » Mon Oct 19 2020 12:41

Had to google the Chorley, put them on my "to do" list.

:laughs:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Mon Oct 19 2020 12:47

Chorley. Buttered. :grin:

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7180
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by John Milford » Mon Oct 19 2020 13:35

davelumb wrote:
Chorley. Buttered. :grin:
Ah! Worth a try. I find them a bit dry, but that could be the trick! :thumbs:

I like Welsh cakes with a cuppa when I'm fishing.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Mon Oct 19 2020 14:00

Just the other week I was pondering how far south Eccles and Chorley cakes are available.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1720
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012 06:00

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by Mattjb » Mon Oct 19 2020 19:56

davelumb wrote:
Just the other week I was pondering how far south Eccles and Chorley cakes are available.
I've never heard of Chorley cakes! (Here in Bristol)

User avatar
OLDESOX
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: BELVEDERE

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by OLDESOX » Mon Oct 19 2020 20:27

ECCLES for me them big buggers. :thumbs:
retired so time to smell the roses.

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7180
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by John Milford » Mon Oct 19 2020 20:55

Mattjb wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Just the other week I was pondering how far south Eccles and Chorley cakes are available.
I've never heard of Chorley cakes! (Here in Bristol)
They're like an Eccles cake, but plain (unsweetened) shortcrust pastry instead of puff pastry. Dave's spot on about buttering them, tried one tonight - much better! :thumbs:

Apparently the Southern equivalent of the Eccles cake is the 'Banbury cake', although the filling is spicier mincemeat and they're oval.

I've never seen a Banbury cake, but apparently they date back to the 16th Century.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Mon Oct 19 2020 21:03

John Milford wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Just the other week I was pondering how far south Eccles and Chorley cakes are available.
I've never heard of Chorley cakes! (Here in Bristol)
They're like an Eccles cake, but plain (unsweetened) shortcrust pastry instead of puff pastry. Dave's spot on about buttering them, tried one tonight - much better! :thumbs:

Apparently the Southern equivalent of the Eccles cake is the 'Banbury cake', although the filling is spicier mincemeat and they're oval.

I've never seen a Banbury cake, but apparently they date back to the 16th Century.
I didn't know about Banbury Cakes either until I went on on Wikipedia this evening. :wink: So no doubt you'll have seen the suggestion for a chunk of Lancashire cheese to accompany a buttered Chorley cake? I suggest a Creamy Lancashire to start with, then progress to Crumbly and Tasty as your palate develops. Greenfield's Lancashire cheeses are recommended. :smile:
rose.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

suffolk si
Zander
Zander
Posts: 5350
Joined: Thu Jul 03 2014 23:41
Location: broadland

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by suffolk si » Mon Oct 19 2020 21:11

My wife does a mean welsh cake! I don’t know why she comes from Devon :shrug:
They get my vote

Mattjb
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1720
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012 06:00

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by Mattjb » Mon Oct 19 2020 21:15

John Milford wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Just the other week I was pondering how far south Eccles and Chorley cakes are available.
I've never heard of Chorley cakes! (Here in Bristol)
They're like an Eccles cake, but plain (unsweetened) shortcrust pastry instead of puff pastry. Dave's spot on about buttering them, tried one tonight - much better! :thumbs:

Apparently the Southern equivalent of the Eccles cake is the 'Banbury cake', although the filling is spicier mincemeat and they're oval.

I've never seen a Banbury cake, but apparently they date back to the 16th Century.
Ah,the random things you end up learning on here!

Mattjb
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1720
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012 06:00

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by Mattjb » Mon Oct 19 2020 21:26

The only cake I can think of originating from the Bristol area is the Colston Bun,although they will be renamed now I expect!They've got an interesting history if anyone wants to google it.
Easter biscuits made with oil of cassia I think are a West Country /Bristol thing if I remember correctly.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1720
Joined: Tue Jan 31 2012 06:00

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by Mattjb » Mon Oct 19 2020 21:33

Colston bun history.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7180
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by John Milford » Mon Oct 19 2020 21:41

suffolk si wrote:
My wife does a mean welsh cake! I don’t know why she comes from Devon :shrug:
They get my vote
Mine too Si. :thumbs: (Welsh cakes generally, I mean, not your wife's!! 😬). :clown:

My local supermarket has stopped stocking them recently, as their cake aisle is now full of Christmas crap!

I've been trying the two alternatives in the title as a (hopefully temporary) alternative.

I'm intrigued by Dave's cheese suggestion with the Chorley cakes though. That will be getting a try! :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Mon Oct 19 2020 21:44

Mattjb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Just the other week I was pondering how far south Eccles and Chorley cakes are available.
I've never heard of Chorley cakes! (Here in Bristol)
They're like an Eccles cake, but plain (unsweetened) shortcrust pastry instead of puff pastry. Dave's spot on about buttering them, tried one tonight - much better! :thumbs:

Apparently the Southern equivalent of the Eccles cake is the 'Banbury cake', although the filling is spicier mincemeat and they're oval.

I've never seen a Banbury cake, but apparently they date back to the 16th Century.
Ah,the random things you end up learning on here!
I'd never heard of Welsh Cakes until today. Are they made from lamb and seaweed? :joker:

suffolk si
Zander
Zander
Posts: 5350
Joined: Thu Jul 03 2014 23:41
Location: broadland

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by suffolk si » Mon Oct 19 2020 21:50

John Milford wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
My wife does a mean welsh cake! I don’t know why she comes from Devon :shrug:
They get my vote
Mine too Si. :thumbs: (Welsh cakes generally, I mean, not your wife's!! 😬). :clown:

My local supermarket has stopped stocking them recently, as their cake aisle is now full of Christmas crap!

I've been trying the two alternatives in the title as a (hopefully temporary) alternative.

I'm intrigued by Dave's cheese suggestion with the Chorley cakes though. That will be getting a try! :thumbs:
They go very well with a decent cup of tea John, oddly I only ever have tea with cake .
Unfortunately we on are on a health kick at the moment so I won’t be seeing any for a while( thanks to the GP on my fortieth year health check convincing the wife I’ll die if I eat anything remotely tasty :evil: )

Cheese and cakes sounds wrong!

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Mon Oct 19 2020 22:01

Cheese and cakes sounds wrong!
Chorley Cakes are mostly pastry, so not cakes in the usual sense. What about cheese scones?

suffolk si
Zander
Zander
Posts: 5350
Joined: Thu Jul 03 2014 23:41
Location: broadland

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by suffolk si » Mon Oct 19 2020 22:07

Very true Dave, although I find cheese straws and scones the least likely thing I’ll ever compliment the wife on. For me pastry needs to be accompanied by something sweet. It’s seems almost as odd as the chilli chocolate thing, what’s that all about :shrug:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Mon Oct 19 2020 22:08

suffolk si wrote:
Very true Dave, although I find cheese straws and scones the least likely thing I’ll ever compliment the wife on. For me pastry needs to be accompanied by something sweet. It’s seems almost as odd as the chilli chocolate thing, what’s that all about :shrug:
Chilli chocolate? :sick: Must be a southern thing. :clown:

suffolk si
Zander
Zander
Posts: 5350
Joined: Thu Jul 03 2014 23:41
Location: broadland

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by suffolk si » Mon Oct 19 2020 22:17

It’s our equivalent of the battered Mars bar!

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Mon Oct 19 2020 22:29

suffolk si wrote:
It’s our equivalent of the battered Mars bar!
:laughs:

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7180
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by John Milford » Mon Oct 19 2020 22:34

suffolk si wrote:
John Milford wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
My wife does a mean welsh cake! I don’t know why she comes from Devon :shrug:
They get my vote
Mine too Si. :thumbs: (Welsh cakes generally, I mean, not your wife's!! 😬). :clown:

My local supermarket has stopped stocking them recently, as their cake aisle is now full of Christmas crap!

I've been trying the two alternatives in the title as a (hopefully temporary) alternative.

I'm intrigued by Dave's cheese suggestion with the Chorley cakes though. That will be getting a try! :thumbs:
They go very well with a decent cup of tea John, oddly I only ever have tea with cake .
Unfortunately we on are on a health kick at the moment so I won’t be seeing any for a while( thanks to the GP on my fortieth year health check convincing the wife I’ll die if I eat anything remotely tasty :evil: )

Cheese and cakes sounds wrong!
Unfortunately those seem to be the rules Si. :shrug:

If it looks and tastes like something scraped off the bottom of a budgie's cage, it's good for you.

If it is the least but succulent and tasty, you're digging your own grave with your teeth! :laughs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7151
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by Mike J » Tue Oct 20 2020 09:15

suffolk si wrote:
It’s our equivalent of the battered Mars bar!

Or tea you can stand a spoon up in!
Or any cake that is overly sweet with dead flies in.


Lightly steamed Asparagus and buttered brown bread, delish :thumbs:

.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7180
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by John Milford » Tue Oct 20 2020 09:55

Mike J wrote:

Or any cake that is overly sweet with dead flies in.
Ha ha! How could I have forgotten the Scottish entry? 'Scottish fruit slice' (or squares) better known as 'Fly Cemetery'? :grin:

My Nan never called it anything but Fly Cemetery when we were kids, but the name never put us off in the slightest, in fact if anything it made us want it even more! :laughs:

Talking of properly overly sweet regional confections (no flies): Kendal mint cake. What's that all about? :sick:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Tue Oct 20 2020 09:57

Mike J wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
It’s our equivalent of the battered Mars bar!

Or tea you can stand a spoon up in!
Or any cake that is overly sweet with dead flies in.


Lightly steamed Asparagus and buttered brown bread, delish :thumbs:

.
There's your north/south divide in a nutshell. :clown:


Butter pie. Now there's a delicacy - pastry, potato, onion, butter. What more could you want? :thumbs:

I know, put it in a barm cake for a Wigan Kebab. :grin:

User avatar
Mike J
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7151
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by Mike J » Tue Oct 20 2020 10:23

davelumb wrote:
Mike J wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
It’s our equivalent of the battered Mars bar!

Or tea you can stand a spoon up in!
Or any cake that is overly sweet with dead flies in.


Lightly steamed Asparagus and buttered brown bread, delish :thumbs:

.
There's your north/south divide in a nutshell. :clown:


Butter pie. Now there's a delicacy - pastry, potato, onion, butter. What more could you want? :thumbs:

I know, put it in a barm cake for a Wigan Kebab. :grin:

:roll: Next you will be raving about curry and chips.

(I thought it was an '80's joke until I went to Manchester and saw the signs in the chippy's).

:tea:
Last edited by Mike J on Wed Oct 21 2020 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Tue Oct 20 2020 10:36

Mike J wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mike J wrote:
suffolk si wrote:
It’s our equivalent of the battered Mars bar!

Or tea you can stand a spoon up in!
Or any cake that is overly sweet with dead flies in.


Lightly steamed Asparagus and buttered brown bread, delish :thumbs:

.
There's your north/south divide in a nutshell. :clown:


Butter pie. Now there's a delicacy - pastry, potato, onion, butter. What more could you want? :thumbs:

I know, put it in a barm cake for a Wigan Kebab. :grin:

:roll: Next you will be raving about curry and chips.

(I thought it was an '80's joke until I went to Manchester and saw the signs jn the chippy's).

:tea:
No curry sauce for me. Chips and gravy. Pie, mushy peas and gravy. Yum.

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 7180
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by John Milford » Tue Oct 20 2020 10:40

Mike J wrote:

:roll: Next you will be raving about curry and chips.

(I thought it was an '80's joke until I went to Manchester and saw the signs jn the chippy's).

:tea:
That reminds me of the Peter Kay joke where he's in a Southern chippy and can't get any curry, gravy or mushy peas with his chips!

"Has tha' got nowt moist?!!" :laughs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3501
Joined: Mon Sep 14 2015 15:45
Location: Where Sheep are Nervous.

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by alan behenna » Tue Oct 20 2020 10:47

davelumb wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Just the other week I was pondering how far south Eccles and Chorley cakes are available.
I've never heard of Chorley cakes! (Here in Bristol)
They're like an Eccles cake, but plain (unsweetened) shortcrust pastry instead of puff pastry. Dave's spot on about buttering them, tried one tonight - much better! :thumbs:

Apparently the Southern equivalent of the Eccles cake is the 'Banbury cake', although the filling is spicier mincemeat and they're oval.

I've never seen a Banbury cake, but apparently they date back to the 16th Century.
Ah,the random things you end up learning on here!
I'd never heard of Welsh Cakes until today. Are they made from lamb and seaweed? :joker:


Bloody Philistine!

:laughs:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 29085
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Eccles, Chorley or Welsh?

Post by davelumb » Tue Oct 20 2020 10:53

alan behenna wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Mattjb wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Just the other week I was pondering how far south Eccles and Chorley cakes are available.
I've never heard of Chorley cakes! (Here in Bristol)
They're like an Eccles cake, but plain (unsweetened) shortcrust pastry instead of puff pastry. Dave's spot on about buttering them, tried one tonight - much better! :thumbs:

Apparently the Southern equivalent of the Eccles cake is the 'Banbury cake', although the filling is spicier mincemeat and they're oval.

I've never seen a Banbury cake, but apparently they date back to the 16th Century.
Ah,the random things you end up learning on here!
I'd never heard of Welsh Cakes until today. Are they made from lamb and seaweed? :joker:


Bloody Philistine!

:laughs:
:grin:
John Milford wrote:
Mike J wrote:

:roll: Next you will be raving about curry and chips.

(I thought it was an '80's joke until I went to Manchester and saw the signs jn the chippy's).

:tea:
That reminds me of the Peter Kay joke where he's in a Southern chippy and can't get any curry, gravy or mushy peas with his chips!

"Has tha' got nowt moist?!!" :laughs:
ED3LCQ2WwAACQ0B.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply