Bachelor's Cupa Soup

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Bachelor's Cupa Soup

Post by Mark Phillips »

Always like to have a couple of sachets on me for a cold winter's day - just add hot water and a touch of Tabasco, nice... but WTF! I just realised they have changed the recipe and it is now just a disgusting gloop. I imagine bin juice would taste better! So, I Googled it and found the country is in uproar over it! From what I can see, only the Golden Vegetable seems to be true to the original recipe. Now I know why they are all on offer and no one is buying them! Be warned - the new versions have a little yellow warning sign on the carton, says "new and improved". Like f u ck it is.
Piking Plonker
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Re: Bachelor's Cupa Soup

Post by JohnCopeman »

Bought some recently.....thought my tastes had changed with age....gash.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Dec 17 2020 18:26 -
Always like to have a couple of sachets on me for a cold winter's day - just add hot water and a touch of Tabasco, nice... but WTF! I just realised they have changed the recipe and it is now just a disgusting gloop. I imagine bin juice would taste better! So, I Googled it and found the country is in uproar over it! From what I can see, only the Golden Vegetable seems to be true to the original recipe. Now I know why they are all on offer and no one is buying them! Be warned - the new versions have a little yellow warning sign on the carton, says "new and improved". Like f u ck it is.
Tabasco saved many a ration pack in the forces, used to send a mini one with it which would be swiftly upgraded.

Times must be hard if they're cutting back on the cup a soup mix, not much to ask for
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Heinz’s beef ravioli went the same way.
The ones we have with the pink label tastes burnt compared to the cans with the old orange label.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
When the sales drop management will blame it on Covid🙄
Andy Carpenter
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Like another fishing staple, the Pot Noodle, they've probably taken all the salt out to make it healthy (and flavourless).

A good splash of Fish Sauce makes the Pot Noodles taste like they used to, though. You never know, it might make these soups edible too. :thumbs:
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

Tomato one is disgusting, Chicken one is ok.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Dec 17 2020 19:20 -
Like another fishing staple, the Pot Noodle, they've probably taken all the salt out to make it healthy (and flavourless).

A good splash of Fish Sauce makes the Pot Noodles taste like they used to, though. You never know, it might make these soups edible too. :thumbs:
went right off pot noodles. though I keep a chicken and mushroom one in the cupboard for when ive got the munchies and all thats left crisps wise is the ready salted. a little sprinkling of chicken and mushroom pot noodle powder is bangin!
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Dec 17 2020 19:20 -
That would be my guess on the soups - reduced fat and salt (on the advice of some trendy nutritional boffin with no taste buds! :roll: ).

"I imagine bin juice would taste better!" :laughs:

That reminds me of one of my favourite Viz 'Top Tips'

Improve the taste of thin, low fat yoghurt, by simply stirring in a spoonful of lard. :giggle:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Agreed Mark. The tomato one is especially shyte now. :sick:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

I like the cheap Morrisons own cuppa soups. Add a packet to instant noodles for a bankside snack. Tabasco does improve it as does ground white pepper.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I've got a few Morrie's cuppa soup sachets in my food bag that are one or two seasons old now.

Trouble is, their 'use by' date was on their boxes!

I wonder how long they're good for? :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Thu Dec 17 2020 18:40 -
I’ve tried Ainseys ministroni Duncan thought it was spot on, plenty of flavour handy on the boat on a cold day :thumbs:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

John Milford wrote: Sat Dec 26 2020 22:19 -
I've got a few Morrie's cuppa soup sachets in my food bag that are one or two seasons old now.

It's dried powder John.....it can't change.
When they chipped that old run aground ship out of the ice the first thing they did was munch their chocolate 😉
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

John Milford wrote: Sat Dec 26 2020 22:19 -

It'll be a best before date John, not a use by date which are used on meat products etc that can make you seriously ill. I've got stuff on my "camping food" shelf with a best before date out by a couple of years. Stuff like savoury rice, cuppa soups and packs of noodles, they'll all get eaten at some point.