Wild Mushrooms Anyone

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Wild Mushrooms Anyone

Post by Pinkie »

Does anyone on here collect wild mushrooms? I started years ago when my son was a lad, to get him into nature, along with fishing. Anyways, we had some this weekend that were unbelievably good. We collected Tree Ears (Wood Ears) and tried a new recipe. You basically find them on old decaying Elder trees, and they are slightly coloured browny purple, and look like ears. Simply boil for five minutes and then marinade in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame seed oil, fresh chilli and chopped garlic. And enjoy on top of noodles or the meat of choice. We had them with pork chops and then again the next day with roast chicken. Yummy!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Wild Mushrooms Anyone

Post by Mike J »

Yes.
Field, Horse and Blueits.
In the Forest we have Truffles but the freeloaders from London have spoilt it for everyone and probably future generations.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Pinkie wrote: Mon Feb 08 2021 17:48 -
Does anyone on here collect wild mushrooms? I started years ago when my son was a lad, to get him into nature, along with fishing. Anyways, we had some this weekend that were unbelievably good. We collected Tree Ears (Wood Ears) and tried a new recipe. You basically find them on old decaying Elder trees, and they are slightly coloured browny purple, and look like ears. Simply boil for five minutes and then marinade in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame seed oil, fresh chilli and chopped garlic. And enjoy on top of noodles or the meat of choice. We had them with pork chops and then again the next day with roast chicken. Yummy!
Seen a recipe whereby they were dehydrated and turned into Jerky with spices... sounded ok and looked ok but bit of a faff I suspect for not a lot.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

When you say “collect” I’m guessing you mean you go out and harvest, then eat ! For a second I had visions of a collection of 6 month old puffball, boy they give off some dust when you kick them ! Taste nice though, found Horse Mushrooms bigger than dinner plate when I was a kid but haven’t seen any for many years.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

....just to clarify - fresh puffballs taste nice not the dusty versions :narfuk:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

No mushrooms
But
High quality drawing ink can be made from Parasol toadstools.

That is drawing from the days of tee squares, and drawing pens (anyone still got theirs?)

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Tried puffballs, sliced and fried....never tried again. Like eating an old bath sponge.
We used to get huuuuggee ones in the field at the back of our estate as kids but hardly ever see them bigger than a football these days.
Always fancied collecting the rarer ones but wary of what's what....the polish lads seem to know what's edible in the UK than us natives. They find plenty of " chicken of the woods" etc.
We used to go to Edale and camp out especially to pick very very small shrooms :stir: :pipe:
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by MANO »

JohnCopeman wrote: Fri Feb 12 2021 14:19 -
Tried puffballs, sliced and fried....never tried again. Like eating an old bath sponge.
We used to get huuuuggee ones in the field at the back of our estate as kids but hardly ever see them bigger than a football these days.
Always fancied collecting the rarer ones but wary of what's what....the polish lads seem to know what's edible in the UK than us natives. They find plenty of " chicken of the woods" etc.
We used to go to Edale and camp out especially to pick very very small shrooms :stir: :pipe:
You cant beat a night under the stars in Edale in October.

Very LIBerating :cool: :dizzy:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Every year these are growing in the same spot, we counted 16 in an area of 100yrds square, unimproved grassland with low grazing...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bryan m
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by bryan m »

I,ve been foraging for mushrooms, and other wild plants, for a couple years now and am loving it. Its a bit scary eating mushrooms that you've not picked before but there is a wealth of knowledge online to help you id correctly.
Within 2 miles from where i live i,ve collected Field mushrooms, Horse mushrooms, Parasols and Blewits, with the Field mushrooms being my favourite to eat. I'm still looking for a Chicken Of the Woods and would love to find a Puffball. Heres hoping this year........