Gran knew how to cook

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Gran knew how to cook

Post by Mike F »

I've always liked trying different foods, condiments, spices, pickles, flavors etc but I have never really found anything that has come close to my grandmother's cooking. Indeed anything she made or cooked was truly delicious and nobody has come near to her flavours and how she cooked.
I was reminiscing recently the about how I miss the chutneys she used to make, as I found one the other day called Mrs Balls jalapeno chutney which is delicious and made me think of hers.
Has anyone else found that grans cooking was way better than what people make now?
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
jack
Perch
Perch

Re: Gran knew how to cook

Post by jack »

Mine was a great cook but some stuff she cooked was horrible as well, sheep's brains, pigs trotters, tripe, something called neck end. No idea what animal that was from.
davyr
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davyr »

jack wrote: Sun May 29 2022 12:48 -
something called neck end. No idea what animal that was from.
Probably lamb - also known as 'best end of neck' and usually slow-simmered for stews. You had to chew it carefully, as it often contained sharp splinters of bone.
davyr
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davyr »

Confusingly, 'best end of neck' now seems to mean an expensive and tender cut from the first 8 ribs of a lamb - not at all what I remember, which was this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/lamb_neck
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

davyr wrote: Sun May 29 2022 13:05 -
Confusingly, 'best end of neck' now seems to mean an expensive and tender cut from the first 8 ribs of a lamb - not at all what I remember, which was this:
“Scrag end” ?
Andy Sewell
davyr
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by davyr »

Andytheammer wrote: Sun May 29 2022 13:16 -
“Scrag end” ?
That does sound more like it - maybe my Mum was trying to make it seem posher than it was!
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

They certainly knew how to use every single bit of food and leftovers. Not like today's throwaway society. My gran would have a fit over the amount of waste now. They were a different generation brought up on a waste nothing attitude. Amazing what she conjured up with next to nothing. Onion suet was another favourite.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Mike F wrote: Sun May 29 2022 11:57 -
I've always liked trying different foods, condiments, spices, pickles, flavors etc but I have never really found anything that has come close to my grandmother's cooking. Indeed anything she made or cooked was truly delicious and nobody has come near to her flavours and how she cooked.
I was reminiscing recently the about how I miss the chutneys she used to make, as I found one the other day called Mrs Balls jalapeno chutney which is delicious and made me think of hers.
Has anyone else found that grans cooking was way better than what people make now?
My gran passed away when I was very young. I only have one vague memory. walking in to her house, she was sat on her seat next to the horse bridal hung on the wall and the huge sliding wall to the dining area. Anyway, my mum makes a killer soup full of veggies, tatties, lentils and a whole ham hock in a massive soup pot that was handed down from gran 😁. Was my gran who taught my mum to make it and is just the best thing ever. Mum only knows how to proportion it and make it in the big hand me down soup pot so we end up with tons of soup in the freezer that we'll be eating for weeks.

We'd be gathered round for the cutting of the ham to get a few bits before it all went back in the pot just like my mum did when my gran was around.
Screenshot_20220529-140419_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Andrew Croft wrote: Sun May 29 2022 14:06 -
Mike F wrote: Sun May 29 2022 11:57 -
My gran passed away when I was very young. I only have one vague memory. walking in to her house, she was sat on her seat next to the horse bridal hung on the wall and the huge sliding wall to the dining area. Anyway, my mum makes a killer soup full of veggies, tatties, lentils and a whole ham hock in a massive soup pot that was handed down from gran 😁. Was my gran who taught my mum to make it and is just the best thing ever. Mum only knows how to proportion it and make it in the big hand me down soup pot so we end up with tons of soup in the freezer that we'll be eating for weeks.

We'd be gathered round for the cutting of the ham to get a few bits before it all went back in the pot just like my mum did when my gran was around.

Screenshot_20220529-140419_Gallery.jpg
You cant beat it can you! Good memories!
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

Damn right Mikef. I've just remembered her 'broth' can't remember if it had meat in it but it was full of pearl barley, carrot,onions and goodness knows what else. It tasted great.
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

Chicken! It was Chicken broth.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

jack wrote: Sun May 29 2022 16:47 -
Chicken! It was Chicken broth.
:thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Never had much of my grans food but I do remember her toffee brittle that she made with top off the milk.
My mum had no sense of taste, she couldn't smell gas and her food was always guesswork, perhaps why she made so few dishes (she even put baked beans in a curry) anything decent and my Father would cook it. Mind you her sloe wine was outstanding and won her lots of prizes.

Croftus, that is a proper pot your gran left your mum. To buy something like that these days would cost you the best part of £100.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Mike J wrote: Mon May 30 2022 12:57 -
Never had much of my grans food but I do remember her toffee brittle that she made with top off the milk.
My mum had no sense of taste, she couldn't smell gas and her food was always guesswork, perhaps why she made so few dishes (she even put baked beans in a curry) anything decent and my Father would cook it. Mind you her sloe wine was outstanding and won her lots of prizes.

Croftus, that is a proper pot your gran left your mum. To buy something like that these days would cost you the best part of £100.

Just looking at it the other day, could actually be doing with the second handle being repaired. I can never remember it having one before. Used to have a handle on the lid though. Would be an absolute travesty if this was thrown away. Definitely older than me.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Andytheammer wrote: Sun May 29 2022 13:16 -
“Scrag end” ?
Scrag end for sure, my Mrs uses them for a winter Saturday soup. Big pot, in they go with Pumpkin, Yam, Dumplings, Celery, Carrots etc and Pig Tail. The b******s.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach