Traeger? Good/Bad?

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Traeger? Good/Bad?

Post by Cyprio »

So I’ve finally stopped drooling over Steve’s last Smoker, :worthy:
It’s got me thinking about replacing our ageing Ducane gas BBQ.
As luck would have it spent the weekend traveling around for new garden furniture. Two stores had the Traeger on offer.

Any of you smokers have good review for them. Speaking to the chap in Blofield store he loves it as he said pellets are expensive but on slow cooking work well and lecky cost better than house oven, the cooking is excellent and can still cook burgers and sausages on it if you wanted.

Here’s the model (below) I am thinking about as it’s only the two of us thought the bigger ones may waste pellets etc. :scratch:

Is it Worth a punt Or am I stepping on to a slippery slope like boats. Spend spend spend. :laughs:
F26D2372-59B9-4575-8CB2-E027CC1E0B38.jpeg
Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Traeger? Good/Bad?

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Andy you won’t go wrong with a Treager mate :thumbs:

Had mine over 2 years now, and it really is the bollox.

Word of warning though. Expect your lecky bill to go up :wink:
If you’re doing a decent sized Brisket or joint you could be running it for 12hrs +
6D05F47B-786E-4344-B0EB-D730F2EFC9E6.jpeg
B581F201-6EEA-4A8C-9CEF-535130F21399.jpeg
6DB18FE8-8DF4-4C9A-856F-A1FBBBD54BCE.jpeg
IMG_0530.jpeg
You’ll do about a bag of pellets if you use the super smoke option on a decent sized brisket.

But the wifi temp control is awesome. Stick a joint on, set the program and bugger off fishing. No need to keep faffing about trying to control the temp :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Sounds good. Should have messaged you direct as I thought you might have to have one as soon as I saw it. :laughs:

I was thinking that about lecky cost but thought it might’ve better than turning the house oven on. :scratch:

By the way have you moved or got rid of plastic grass? :thumbs:
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Cyprio wrote: Mon Jul 10 2023 09:22 -
Sounds good. Should have messaged you direct as I thought you might have to have one as soon as I saw it. :laughs:

I was thinking that about lecky cost but thought it might’ve better than turning the house oven on. :scratch:

By the way have you moved or got rid of plastic grass? :thumbs:
:laughs:
“Plastic grass”
Sold up and moved to sunny Stumpy bout 18 months or so ago. Bought a 200 yr old money pitcottage at the end of a private loke :cool:

The oven would prolly work out cheaper Andy (wouldn’t know got gas :laughs: ) as you wouldn’t have the oven on for 12hrs. But then you wouldn’t get the flavour :wink:

You won’t regret getting a treager :wink:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Cheers Karl. :cool:
Hope you’ve not got a Heat pump @ this one. My mates just had his decommissioned that was fitted same time as yours as his Lecky Bill was astronomical, now cheaper to keep the Arga burning oil :afraid:

Might have to sink some armour cable just in case I trip the Cartlodge ….Smoking 💷 💷 💷 :wink:

Just found some specs, advises 300w on start up to temp and average 50w whilst running.
Our ponds are drawing over 500w 24/7 so might just turn a 100w UV light off whilst cooking then I won’t notice anything 🤣.

Have you found a better pellet or do you use Traegers own.
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Hope you’ve not got a Heat pump @ this one. My mates just had his decommissioned that was fitted same time as yours as his Lecky Bill was astronomical,.

f**k NO !!!!! I know how much that POS was costing BEFORE everything went through the roof.....Im scared to think how much its costing them now. 2 kids and adults living there!!..... :afraid:
I would (and do) advise anyone against getting an ASHP....prolly THE most expensive way to heat a home!!!! Plus installation costs etc :sick:
Have you found a better pellet or do you use Traegers own.

Just use Treagers own Andy. NCaL did have a deal on when I bought mine, but not seen any deals on the pellets anywhere since.
If its just you and Jan you prolly wont go through the amount of pellets I do :laughs: :laughs:

We've got a big gathering planned (45 greedy f*****s) the 12th Aug when I get back. So will have it running around 14-16hrs that day....... :pale: :laughs:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

My mates bill was nearing 6k :dizzy: and always had issues with meter reading and faulty units. Only people it’s good for is the installer, though at the time I think the installers were in it for the £££ like the first solar installers. Make money quick drain the money and fold the Co.

NCaL took 2k off us yesterday so what’s another 800 :laughs:

They will throw in cover and front folding shelf and a bag of pellet maybe more as their Price match promise saved me 300 yesterday :rock:

Thanks for confirming I need to spend more. :wink:
Got the lawn finished another 9 fence bays todo couple of gates happy summer then the drive. :cool:
:cheers:
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Cyprio wrote: Mon Jul 10 2023 13:26 -
My mates bill was nearing 6k :dizzy: and always had issues with meter reading and faulty units. Only people it’s good for is the installer, though at the time I think the installers were in it for the £££ like the first solar installers. Make money quick drain the money and fold the Co.

NCaL took 2k off us yesterday so what’s another 800 :laughs:

They will throw in cover and front folding shelf and a bag of pellet maybe more as their Price match promise saved me 300 yesterday :rock:

Thanks for confirming I need to spend more. :wink:
Got the lawn finished another 9 fence bays todo couple of gates happy summer then the drive. :cool:
:cheers:
I well believe it Andy!!
Ours lekky bill was £4K PA BETORE covid snd everything went through the roof. And more than half the time it was just carole…..!

NCaL do some good deals. :thumbs:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Well didn’t take long to get here :laughs:

Couldn’t wait to fire it up so excuse the building site.

So good. BIG learning curve, so much to absorb :dizzy:
Doogie loves the smell so his hoping for failures…

Obviously cooked a chicken :roll: but it was super moist and I put some red baby pots in covered in garlic rub.

Roll on the Pork :pipe:
3AA79BF1-1634-45B4-926B-DE85121C5580.jpeg
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Cyprio wrote: Fri Jul 14 2023 10:11 -

Obviously cooked a chicken :roll: but it was super moist and I put some red baby pots in covered in garlic rub.

Welcome to the club… :wink:
Have you got the treager app Andy ?

Plenty’s of easy to follow recipes in there :thumbs:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Like you I’ve jumped in Big :wink:
Traeger everything :red:

The App works well, though I had to install a Wi-Fi range extender in the Cart lodge. So good to get the messages and to see the temp etc. stopped the urge to have a peak well almost.
Very informative and simple to follow but the recipes make me hungry and the extra ingredients are limitless.

Can’t wait to do a proper slow smoke, though Jan’s taste buds are hyper sensitive and opposite end of spectrum to mine. I need full flavour and extra hot which can be fun at times :laughs:
Just on my way to see my parents and guess what Riverside. Garden Centre is just round the corner! Big smoke shop
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Cyprio wrote: Fri Jul 14 2023 10:55 -
Like you I’ve jumped in Big :wink:
Traeger everything :red:

The App works well, though I had to install a Wi-Fi range extender in the Cart lodge. So good to get the messages and to see the temp etc. stopped the urge to have a peak well almost.
Very informative and simple to follow but the recipes make me hungry and the extra ingredients are limitless.

Can’t wait to do a proper slow smoke, though Jan’s taste buds are hyper sensitive and opposite end of spectrum to mine. I need full flavour and extra hot which can be fun at times :laughs:
Just on my way to see my parents and guess what Riverside. Garden Centre is just round the corner! Big smoke shop
Pity I’m away. You could’ve popped in for a cold one. I’m literally 5 mins from there.

(Which means it gets expensive face)

Edit; DOOOOH…read the post properly. NOT 5 mins from there
(Thought you meant NCaL face)
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

:cool: Suffolk RA08 PAC meetings taking a turn! :yahoo:
Andy Sewell
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Andytheammer wrote: Sat Jul 15 2023 14:35 -
:cool: Suffolk RA08 PAC meetings taking a turn! :yahoo:
:fu:
Now on that slippery slope of no return.
175E2BE8-77AD-4FC9-A0B0-E9BE0E3CFDF6.jpeg
Karl should have added Hertford.
Riverside was a mistake :hit:

OMG. BIG FLOOR dedicated to different Brands in their own space. Traeger Yetti Keg Broil king Webber Church etc etc all in one place. Was running out of time fortunately so will be going back, one of them places you just enter your pin without asking what the total was £££:red: :laughs: :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

:grin:
Where did you get y’a baby backs from Andy ?
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Our local butcher.
Been using him last couple of years. Meat so far so good. His Aged tomahawks are excellent, and his pork chops must come from Dinosaurs their huge.
Andy Carpenter
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Cyprio wrote: Fri Jul 14 2023 10:11 -

Andy the Traeger is a really good bit of kit my mate has one and it produces some good bbq, looks spot on get those ribs on. :thumbs:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

So I prepared a rack earlier to overnight in the fridge for cook tomoz Pm. :bounce:

The aroma got the better of me so of I went and came back with pack of wings and drum sticks. Quick dusting with cornflour and rub, in they went @365F.
Turned halfway and brushed with apple juice. On the hour turned and brushed with “Traeger Que” 15 mins they were out cooling and devoured 5mins later :laughs: Superb :stew:

Swapped out the Mesquite for the Signature Pellet. Much better and no bitter twang.
A14FA52E-DE28-4D7C-9B0F-E152A844D868.jpeg
93DF7D54-58C7-4004-8C33-AB61B209B4CF.jpeg
DF3EF198-3724-41F2-B419-B5B552DE2D81.jpeg
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Cyprio wrote: Mon Jul 17 2023 21:59 -
So I prepared a rack earlier to overnight in the fridge for cook tomoz Pm. :bounce:

The aroma got the better of me so of I went and came back with pack of wings and drum sticks. Quick dusting with cornflour and rub, in they went @365F.
Turned halfway and brushed with apple juice. On the hour turned and brushed with “Traeger Que” 15 mins they were out cooling and devoured 5mins later :laughs: Superb :stew:

Swapped out the Mesquite for the Signature Pellet. Much better and no bitter twang.

A14FA52E-DE28-4D7C-9B0F-E152A844D868.jpeg
93DF7D54-58C7-4004-8C33-AB61B209B4CF.jpeg
DF3EF198-3724-41F2-B419-B5B552DE2D81.jpeg
:cool:
Looking good Andy :thumbs:

Those chick pieces just look a little too dry for my tastes. I prefer them nice and sticky, so you end up with sauce all over your cheeks :laughs:

I tend to stick to the signature blend, or apple/pecan for my pellets :thumbs:
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

:thumbs: Superb getting hungry now.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

I prefer them nice and sticky, so you end up with sauce all over your cheeks
✅

Agree with the chicken. Was trying out the flavours on eating I dipped in “Que” Sauce. :thumbs:

Well the rib went in today. 5 1/2 hours later & 10 mins resting they were gone quicker than a cornfield in a locust storm.
Three layers of sauce with just enough adhesion to the bone soft but not mushy🤩
37A79EE6-3A1E-4F35-98E8-3FF1A8F01E85.jpeg
DB011FA3-504F-487A-A471-F5ADC5E88785.jpeg
Smoked well today. Think the neighbour’s might have noticed. Especially the 3 hours @ 180 :laughs:

Can’t wait to get the pulled pork done. :cool:
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

:thumbs:
Now that’s what y’a call proper ribs :cool: