Curry

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Curry

Post by Monts »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Jan 14 2024 21:55 -
Monts wrote: Sun Jan 14 2024 18:43 -
What's left of a Lamb Kneck curry and home made Roti we had earlier with brown rice and a green salad, I am stuffed.

PXL_20240114_173227754.jpg

[attachment=0]PXL_20240114_173257469~2.jpg[/attachment
Looks good! :thumbs:

I tried the brown rice but didn’t think much to it tbh. A bit too chewy for me.

It is weird though, just about every Indian I’ve ever had a curry from has had pilau rice up front and centre, but the only pilau I can find on the supermarkets is that precooked stuff in foil sachets, so I always end up with basmati. :shrug:
We always use Basmati mate.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

What's left of a Lamb Kneck curry and home made Roti we had earlier with brown rice and a green salad, I am stuffed.

It is weird though, just about every Indian I’ve ever had a curry from has had pilau rice up front and centre, but the only pilau I can find on the supermarkets is that precooked stuff in foil sachets, so I always end up with basmati. :shrug:

Pilau is a dish not a type of rice.
The rice used in Pilau is usually basmati, but other grains can be used.
Tip; buy bulk bags and look at the rice through the clear side window provided, if the grains are not white don't buy. Cheapest Ive found is Tescos, even the (watertight) Chinese buy from there.
Remember to much rice will make you fat so always ensure that you use a rice measure.

I wash until clear, soak for 15min and cook for 8min in a cheapo Chinese made microwave rice pot. Two measure makes 4 portions, one to eat, three to freeze once its cold.

Another trick for a quick meal is a mod of Jamaican rice and peas, but with more peas actually they are red kidney beans which provide the protein, starch from the rice and coconut the fat with the spices or homemade chilli sauce for flavour. Had a pack last night,with a spoon of yogurt. delish!

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jan 15 2024 11:06 -

Tip; buy bulk bags and look at the rice through the clear side window provided, if the grains are not white don't buy. Cheapest Ive found is Tescos, even the (watertight) Chinese buy from there.
Remember to much rice will make you fat so always ensure that you use a rice measure.

I wash until clear, soak for 15min and cook for 8min in a cheapo Chinese made microwave rice pot. Two measure makes 4 portions, one to eat, three to freeze once its cold.

Another trick for a quick meal is a mod of Jamaican rice and peas, but with more peas actually they are red kidney beans which provide the protein, starch from the rice and coconut the fat with the spices or homemade chilli sauce for flavour. Had a pack last night,with a spoon of yogurt. delish!

It's not a Jamaican dish, it's a Caribbean dish. Each island cooks it slightly differently, we always use black eyed peas over kidney beans..😉

Your have my wife and family sptiing feathers seeing it attributed to Jamaica.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Monts wrote: Mon Jan 15 2024 11:18 -

It's not a Jamaican dish, it's a Caribbean dish. Each island cooks it slightly differently, we always use black eyed peas over kidney beans..😉

No dis'in man, no wanna upset dem sistas :grin: 🙏

🍻

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jan 15 2024 11:38 -
Monts wrote: Mon Jan 15 2024 11:18 -

No dis'in man, no wanna upset dem sistas :grin: 🙏

🍻

🤐
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I had a half decent heat and eat pilau from asda the other day Chris and the best supermarket curry I've ever had.

https://groceries.asda.com/aisle/chille ... 5686355601
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Thu Jan 18 2024 18:50 -

I had a half decent heat and eat pilau from asda the other day Chris and the best supermarket curry I've ever had.

https://groceries.asda.com/aisle/chille ... 5686355601
We don’t have a local Asda Bob but the Coop do a couple of nice ones too.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Aha…. That explains why the only pilau I can find is the precooked stuff!

Cheers Mike. You’ve saved me countless hikes up and down the rice section in Tescos. :thumbs:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

…the bay leaf is back in. 😮
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Jan 22 2024 21:25 -
…the bay leaf is back in. 😮
Going to be controversial now, I use to add 1 bay leaf, I now add a minimum of 3 and once cooked, remove 2 and leave one in,
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

One decent sized leaf for me Stew.

True story. I've let my garden hedge grow unkempt for the past two or three years. I finally got around to squaring it up last week and discovered a self set bay tree that must be at least 12ft high. Somehow or other my potted bay bush must have gone to seed and drifted over there. They're a good six metres apart.

And on the subject of my potted bay bush, I'm pretty sure it is pot bound now, and the leaves grow with a sort of serated edge. Anyone know if that's through a lack of water or too much?