Curry

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Curry

Post by Chris Hammond »

After years of experimenting I have come up with a tasty and aromatic curry recipe that I really enjoy. The only slight flaw is that one of the seeds or spices that I roast and grind causes a minor effect on the texture in that I can detect tiny fragments of husk.

I’ve tried straining the resulting spice mix through a sieve but some still seems to get through. Below is the combination of seeds/spices I grind into the garam masala. Can anyone tell me why I’m getting the husky texture?

Cumin
Coriander
Fenugreek
Cinnamon stick
Cardamom (seeds removed from pods)
Cloves
Black pepper

I also use fresh garlic, root ginger, paprika and turmeric. It’s nice combination and a lovely curry, especially the next day.🙂
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: Curry

Post by Bob Watson »

Fresh or ground coriander?

Fenugreek is a bit husky when dry but I've never noticed it in my finished curry.

Cardamom and cinnamon stick I've never used so I'd look at those????

I subscribe to a you tube channels that gives good info on making your own. Not that you're asking, just thought it might be of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/@LatifsInspired

https://www.youtube.com/@thebaltibrothers2574/videos
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Chris have you tried it without crushing the cinnamon stick or the clove’s. They still impart their flavour just being there like Bay leaves do. Try one at a time see if it improves.
My wife doesn’t like it when she gets a bit of cardamon so I got this Tea holder. The seeds go in it and also the clove’s as it saves me digging them out when cooked. :wink:

I still leave a couple loose just for fun :joker:
638CC83D-D0C6-448D-844C-95582700A099.jpeg
If we solve the issue care to share recipe :stew:
:laughs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

This is what you want Chris, the best spice grinder I have ever used, fenugreek, nutmeg, cori and cumin, cassia bark, it all comes out like talcum powder. £20 or £2/yr as my previous one lasted for over ten years.

A9E87AF5-D98C-46CF-A2C6-85467473C32B.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Mike J wrote: Mon Sep 04 2023 09:54 -
This is what you want Chris, the best spice grinder I have ever used, fenugreek, nutmeg, cori and cumin, cassia bark, it all comes out like talcum powder. £20 or £2/yr as my previous one lasted for over ten years.

Can’t beat Krupps :thumbs:

My coffee grinder is a Krupps burr grinder. :wink:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i would say say the cinnamon sticks are the problem ......dont grind ......just take out last minute the flavour will still be there .

steve x chef
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

F**k all that ,sounds like hard work to me .
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

The recipe for garam masala I use was solen from Charmaine Solomon (old testament). Same as Chris' except nutmeg replaces fenugreek and all dry roasted and ground with blade grinder. No husk...

Cooking is good fun Mick if you have beer and loud music!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Old Mate wrote: Wed Sep 06 2023 11:34 -
The recipe for garam masala I use was solen from Charmaine Solomon (old testament). Same as Chris' except nutmeg replaces fenugreek and all dry roasted and ground with blade grinder. No husk...

Cooking is good fun Mick if you have beer and loud music!

Gram masala I have three mixes, Kashmiri, Punjabi, and one I designed just for my dall.
I love cooking, I have always said I will be a chef next time around.
Anything spicy, Indian and Arabian, Chinese or Thai but I couldn't cook English to save me life though Ive just learnt how to make pretty good roast potatoes in my airfryer.

Just bought s new knife, nothing like a good blade. Don't ask the price!
E216EED7-E681-40D9-AE5C-40F711FD45B8.jpeg

:grin:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Mike - I am too lazy to use a knife for chopping these days! Blend everything. Dahl is a firm favourite in our house. The child bride grows ginger, tumeric, chillies, lemon grass, curry leaves etc. Have you tried Cajun? I would be interested to hear your dahl garam masala blend...

Cheers, Andy
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Sep 03 2023 13:32 -
After years of experimenting I have come up with a tasty and aromatic curry recipe that I really enjoy. The only slight flaw is that one of the seeds or spices that I roast and grind causes a minor effect on the texture in that I can detect tiny fragments of husk.

I’ve tried straining the resulting spice mix through a sieve but some still seems to get through. Below is the combination of seeds/spices I grind into the garam masala. Can anyone tell me why I’m getting the husky texture?

Cumin
Coriander
Fenugreek
Cinnamon stick
Cloves
Black pepper

I also use fresh garlic, root ginger, paprika and turmeric. It’s nice combination and a lovely curry, especially the next day.🙂
The only thing I would add to that Chris, is putting in 2-3 Bay leaves, I use fresh so usually 3 in, I add cloves/cinnamon stick and cardamons in whole. Everything else blended.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Sorry chaps I clean forgot about this.

Judging by the collective wisdom it’s the cinnamon stick and cloves. I hadn’t thought of just using them whole and removing them before eating . I will give that a try, thanks everyone. 👍

Mike I will check out the recommended grinder.👍 iI just grind them to powder with a mortar and pestle.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: Wed Sep 06 2023 17:19 -

Cumin
Coriander
Fenugreek
Cinnamon stick
Cloves
Black pepper

The only thing I would add to that Chris, is putting in 2-3 Bay leaves, I use fresh so usually 3 in, I add cloves/cinnamon stick and cardamons in whole. Everything else blended.
Funnily enough Stew I’ve arrived at my favourite combo by leaving the fresh bay leaves out. 😀

I also use a fresh chilli by way of imparting extra heat.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Sep 06 2023 20:04 -
Stewlaws wrote: Wed Sep 06 2023 17:19 -

Cumin
Coriander
Fenugreek
Cinnamon stick
Cloves
Black pepper

Funnily enough Stew I’ve arrived at my favourite combo by leaving the fresh bay leaves out. 😀

I also use a fresh chilli by way of imparting extra heat.
That is what makes us all individuals mate, my children won't eat fried onion but will if bay leaves in, mind you they eat pot noodles given the chance so perhaps not on the critique top table quite yet! I got into Aleppo chillies (dried, not overly hot but almost a fruity sweet heat)
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Well chaps it isn’t the cinnamon or cloves that are the problem after all??

I’m beginning to suspect the coriander seeds. I don’t have the same problem when making a chilli with home ground cumin, and I have tried the fenugreek powder (as opposed to seeds)and still had the same minor problem. :shrug:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Try ground coriander Chris.

Fenugreek should also be ground between the fingers whilst adding to the dish.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Sep 10 2023 08:19 -
Try ground coriander Chris.

Fenugreek should also be ground between the fingers whilst adding to the dish.
Yes Bob, that’s my next amendment.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Made some Peshwari Nan breads, not quite there, but makes you realise how much sugar they must put in for the commercial stuff you find in the curry houses. Though the dough is superior when homemade and not the dry texture of the bought item.
Next lot will be minced spice lamb, with fennel seed rolled into the dough before flat leafing with the lamb.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Old Mate wrote: Wed Sep 06 2023 14:03 -
Mike - I am too lazy to use a knife for chopping these days! Blend everything. Dahl is a firm favourite in our house. The child bride grows ginger, tumeric, chillies, lemon grass, curry leaves etc. Have you tried Cajun? I would be interested to hear your dahl garam masala blend...

Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy,
Dall/dahl of various recipes are one of my favourites, cooked and frozen I can have one on the plate in the time it takes me to unload the car and wash-up.
I will send you a PM of my blend.

:stew:

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Stewlaws wrote: Sun Sep 17 2023 08:49 -
Made some Peshwari Nan breads, not quite there, but makes you realise how much sugar they must put in for the commercial stuff you find in the curry houses. Though the dough is superior when homemade and not the dry texture of the bought item.
Next lot will be minced spice lamb, with fennel seed rolled into the dough before flat leafing with the lamb.

Nan from a shop.
To get the best results wet both sides under a tap and leave to soak in, to cook a toaster is better, to blacken a bit more use a blowtorch, then a bit of melted butter on one side before serving.
I don't eat them but I had to learn to get them right as my good Lady doesn't eat rice.

The Indian breads I prefer are paratha and bhaturas.

Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

I’ve just got around to ordering one Mike. Gone up a little at £28 but a reasonable price in today’s market I think.

What I didn’t think to ask you was whether I can use it for relatively small amounts of spice? Something like a tablespoon full for instance?
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Tue Dec 12 2023 13:11 -

I’ve just got around to ordering one Mike. Gone up a little at £28 but a reasonable price in today’s market I think.

What I didn’t think to ask you was whether I can use it for relatively small amounts of spice? Something like a tablespoon full for instance?
I bought one Chris and only grind a tablespoon at a time, will usually toast the spices first in order to release the oils. I bought a 2 kilo bag of mixed spices from Amazon.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Yes you can Chris. What I do is give it a whiz, then switch off, hand on top and bottom and shake it up a bit, power on then whiz it again. Do not unload with the power on!
For the best results warm the spices in the same pan you cook your curries in. Have cold plate handy when you warm to spices and only use enough heat to release the oils in the seeds and (broken up) bark, but not so much that they burn. Cardamon pods require splitting, I use a finger nail or a thump with the flat side of a knife. Cumin seed takes less time than coriander seed, cassia bark and cloves can go in from the beginning.
Slow gentle heat releases the oils, it will smell amazing, tip everything out onto the plate to cool a little, then whiz it all up and spoon it into a small jar with a screw-on lid.
I keep separate jars of cumin, coriander and gram masala, that way you can use as little or as much as you need for specific recipes. Dont forget you will need some Turmeric powder a little goes a long way so you will need another storage jar.
I prefer the sweet Kashmiri chilli powder, use dried red chillis if I want extra heat and green chillies for lentil dishes.
I make large quantities of Roghan Josh and my own Thai curry mix and keep them in the freezer in single and double helping packs, that way I just need to cook the meat add the defrosted sauce, bring to boil and its done.

I also cook West Indian and for that I use the hot pepper sauce recipe posted on here a while back, its very simple to make, just bonnets and cheap sherry but it is easily the best chilli sauce Ive ever tasted.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: Tue Dec 12 2023 22:37 -

I bought one Chris and only grind a tablespoon at a time, will usually toast the spices first in order to release the oils. I bought a 2 kilo bag of mixed spices from Amazon.
Thanks Stew. Yes I always toast my spice seeds etc for about 30/60 seconds in a dry, heavy little frying pan before grinding. :thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Wed Dec 13 2023 00:35 -

Yes you can Chris. What I do is give it a whiz, then switch off, hand on top and bottom and shake it up a bit, power on then whiz it again. Do not unload with the power on!
For the best results warm the spices in the same pan you cook your curries in. Have cold plate handy when you warm to spices and only use enough heat to release the oils in the seeds and (broken up) bark, but not so much that they burn. Cardamon pods require splitting, I use a finger nail or a thump with the flat side of a knife. Cumin seed takes less time than coriander seed, cassia bark and cloves can go in from the beginning.
Slow gentle heat releases the oils, it will smell amazing, tip everything out onto the plate to cool a little, then whiz it all up and spoon it into a small jar with a screw-on lid.
I keep separate jars of cumin, coriander and gram masala, that way you can use as little or as much as you need for specific recipes. Dont forget you will need some Turmeric powder a little goes a long way so you will need another storage jar.
I prefer the sweet Kashmiri chilli powder, use dried red chillis if I want extra heat and green chillies for lentil dishes.
I make large quantities of Roghan Josh and my own Thai curry mix and keep them in the freezer in single and double helping packs, that way I just need to cook the meat add the defrosted sauce, bring to boil and its done.

I also cook West Indian and for that I use the hot pepper sauce recipe posted on here a while back, its very simple to make, just bonnets and cheap sherry but it is easily the best chilli sauce Ive ever tasted.
Thanks Mike the advice is much appreciated.

I toast my spices in the pan as mentioned to Stew above and I try and gauge the time individual spices need. If I chuck them all in together the smaller seeds like Cumin start popping and jumping out if the pan before heavier stuff like cinnamon and cloves become aromatic.

I must have missed the chilli sauce recipe but O’d like to try it. I’ll have a trawl through the threads. :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 19:19 -

I toast my spices in the pan as mentioned to Stew above and I try and gauge the time individual spices need. If I chuck them all in together the smaller seeds like Cumin start popping and jumping out if the pan before heavier stuff like cinnamon and cloves become aromatic.

I must have missed the chilli sauce recipe but O’d like to try it. I’ll have a trawl through the threads. :thumbs:

Its dead simple, an empty spirt bottle, scotch bonnet chillies deseeded, chopped or sliced small enough to go in the bottle, cover the chillies with cheap sherry. Shake it up and stand it somewhere for a year or longer. It will smell amazing!
TIP = WEAR WASHING UP GLOVES, the bonnet chilli is so strong it goes through normal food gloves!

To speed thing up I whizzed my first lot, r/h bottle in a blender, beware - if you try it do it outside!
A 1/5 of a teaspoon is all you need, just add when the curry is on the plate.

6B9D12A4-4735-436A-BA63-ABFA6D330195.jpeg
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 19:41 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Thu Dec 14 2023 19:19 -

Its dead simple, an empty spirt bottle, scotch bonnet chillies deseeded, chopped or sliced small enough to go in the bottle, cover the chillies with cheap sherry. Shake it up and stand it somewhere for a year or longer. It will smell amazing!
TIP = WEAR WASHING UP GLOVES, the bonnet chilli is so strong it goes through normal food gloves!

To speed thing up I whizzed my first lot, r/h bottle in a blender, beware - if you try it do it outside!
A 1/5 of a teaspoon is all you need, just add when the curry is on the plate.

6B9D12A4-4735-436A-BA63-ABFA6D330195.jpeg

Cheers MikeI be giving that a try.👍
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Got the Krups sorted now. A great little bit of kit! Thanks for the heads up Mike.👍
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

What's left of a Lamb Kneck curry and home made Roti we had earlier with brown rice and a green salad, I am stuffed.
PXL_20240114_173227754.jpg
[attachment=0]PXL_20240114_173257469~2.jpg[/attachment
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Monts wrote: Sun Jan 14 2024 18:43 -
What's left of a Lamb Kneck curry and home made Roti we had earlier with brown rice and a green salad, I am stuffed.

PXL_20240114_173227754.jpg

[attachment=0]PXL_20240114_173257469~2.jpg[/attachment
Looks good! :thumbs:

I tried the brown rice but didn’t think much to it tbh. A bit too chewy for me.

It is weird though, just about every Indian I’ve ever had a curry from has had pilau rice up front and centre, but the only pilau I can find on the supermarkets is that precooked stuff in foil sachets, so I always end up with basmati. :shrug: