Curry again:

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Curry again:

Post by Chris Hammond »

Regarding your list of ingredients for the perfect curry:

Are there any specific procedures or tips you could pass on with them? I mean other than just chucking everything in the pot together and simmering. 🙂

Also does anyone have a recipe for a vegetable curry that will inspire me to eat? I’ve not really been bowled over by any that I’ve tried so far. :shrug:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Curry again:

Post by Chris Hammond »

Ps I’m currently cooking the curry mentioned in the other thread, in deference to Stew (Who I’m chuffed to see posting again. ) I’ve gone back to a couple of fresh bay leaves again. I’ve bunged the clove and cinnamon in whole this time too. 👍
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Chris
Use a heavy pan - preferably cast iron, or stainless, not non-stick.
Heat pan and add oil - I like peanut oil.
Cook chopped onion first and then add ginger, garlic, chillies. These days I blend all the latter. I freeze birds eye chillies so I don't have to remove the seeds.
If using curry leaves and fenugreek add to onion once cooked.
Then add curry powder and whole spices. If you have fussy eaters don't add whole cardamom pods or cloves. Cinnamon sticks and lemon grass can be removed before serving.
Add meat (or veggies), stir, put tight fitting lid on and cook at very low heat for long time (30 mins plus).
Stir occasionally, slight sticking is OK.
If using coconut milk, add but don't replace lid.
Green herbs go in for last few minutes.
Serve with steamed rice, Indian bread and chutney.
All of this is to suit your own taste, so experiment, modify and enjoy.

Cheers, Andy

chris
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Sep 09 2023 13:10 -

Are there any specific procedures or tips you could pass on with them? I mean other than just chucking everything in the pot together and simmering. 🙂

Also does anyone have a recipe for a vegetable curry that will inspire me to eat? I’ve not really been bowled over by any that I’ve tried so far. :shrug:

We use a lot of various squashes Chris for currys, no 2 types are the same and we have our favourites, some we roast prior to using and some we just cook slow within the curry.. Think long and slow, they go well with homemade breads and coming in from a long day or a brisk walk the smells are welcoming, best thing they improve with being made the day or 2 before... I also do a chickpea or butterbean hummus,to stir in the curries to give it some depth, and the type that coat the back of a spoon is the curries we enjoy most, I rarely add meat nowadays despite being a meat eater.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Old Mate wrote: Sat Sep 09 2023 18:02 -
Chris
Use a heavy pan - preferably cast iron, or stainless, not non-stick.
Heat pan and add oil - I like peanut oil.
Cook chopped onion first and then add ginger, garlic, chillies. These days I blend all the latter. I freeze birds eye chillies so I don't have to remove the seeds.
If using curry leaves and fenugreek add to onion once cooked.
Then add curry powder and whole spices. If you have fussy eaters don't add whole cardamom pods or cloves. Cinnamon sticks and lemon grass can be removed before serving.
Add meat (or veggies), stir, put tight fitting lid on and cook at very low heat for long time (30 mins plus).
Stir occasionally, slight sticking is OK.
If using coconut milk, add but don't replace lid.
Green herbs go in for last few minutes.
Serve with steamed rice, Indian bread and chutney.
All of this is to suit your own taste, so experiment, modify and enjoy.

Cheers, Andy

chris
Thanks Andy. That’s not so very different to how I prep my curries. I usually use ground nut oil but of late I am using authentic ghee, as a pal’s wife -who is a professional cook- gave me two jars of clarified butter she’d prepared in return for a couple of nesting boxes I made her for her parakeets.

…can’t beat old fashioned bartering! 😀
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: Sat Sep 09 2023 19:32 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Sep 09 2023 13:10 -

We use a lot of various squashes Chris for currys, no 2 types are the same and we have our favourites, some we roast prior to using and some we just cook slow within the curry.. Think long and slow, they go well with homemade breads and coming in from a long day or a brisk walk the smells are welcoming, best thing they improve with being made the day or 2 before... I also do a chickpea or butterbean hummus,to stir in the curries to give it some depth, and the type that coat the back of a spoon is the curries we enjoy most, I rarely add meat nowadays despite being a meat eater.
Thanks Stew, there’s food for thought there. The thing about preparing a day or two earlier resonates with me. I find that everything from cottage pie to curries etc eats better reheated the next day. :thumbs: