Food storage

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Food storage

Post by Chris Hammond »

For as long as I can remember I have stored vegetables and other edible sundry items in the fridge, but just about every item I buy is just sat on a shelf at room temperature in the shops.

In recent weeks, as much for the lack of fridge space as anything else, I have kept green and root veg in a cool dark place in my kitchen. Also items like fresh ginger root, garlic and mushrooms too and I think it has prolonged the lifespan of these items.

Have I been getting it wrong all these years by keeping stuff in the fridge? Has anyone got any storage tips to help me stop wasting food?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Food storage

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Dec 23 2023 07:04 -
For as long as I can remember I have stored vegetables and other edible sundry items in the fridge, but just about every item I buy is just sat on a shelf at room temperature in the shops.

In recent weeks, as much for the lack of fridge space as anything else, I have kept green and root veg in a cool dark place in my kitchen. Also items like fresh ginger root, garlic and mushrooms too and I think it has prolonged the lifespan of these items.

Have I been getting it wrong all these years by keeping stuff in the fridge? Has anyone got any storage tips to help me stop wasting food?
I hang my bananas on a wall hook outside the kitchen door, just bring in what Im using in the next few days. Never buy from a supermarket where they are heated before sale, always a fruit and veg stall.
For quickness I buy Ginger and Garlic as a paste in jars. Garlic for big dishes I use a paste I make from 1lb of peeled garlic bulbs mashed with 1/2lb of melted butter, kept in the freezer.
Other tips.
Rice, beans and lentils I store in recycled milk containers, same with my bird food 20kg of Millet fills 12 x 2ltr containers.
Carrots, parsnips and chestnuts store all winter using a sack of damp peat, just mixed and left in a wheelbarrow.
A side of smoked bacon (we used to call it a flitch) can be hung in a cool pantry, you just slice off what you need from the bottom up, I would buy a side in July (at the Royal Show) and it could hang for three months of more without any change in quality. The cutting of even slices my wife learnt as a farmers daughter.
A haunch or shoulder of venison will keep for months in a cool place once the exterior had been dried in a windy location.

Blood and high pressure washing is what ruins meat, Halal meat has no blood and has a dry exterior. A whole leg of lamb up to the backbone is cheaper than a shop or super, bone it out yourself and its good value and a far better quality.

:santa:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Dec 23 2023 07:04 -

I do blend Garlic,Ginger and chillies down into a paste with added fresh coriander, into this I also put in salted preserved lemons, this is into jars with rapeseed oil to cover to stop oxidisation and mould, good for marinading meats like chicken or pork, or into stir fries Chris.

Hate wasting food of any kind. My kitchen is cool so most of my stuff is fine out.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Thanks chaps.

What about short term storage of your veggies? In the fridge or not?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Dec 27 2023 23:24 -
Thanks chaps.

What about short term storage of your veggies? In the fridge or not?
Fresh picked beans or lettuces .. in the fridge wrapped in a damp t-towel, keeps them in top condition
Last edited by Stewlaws on Thu Dec 28 2023 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

I have found keeping veg out the fridge and in a dark place like yourself, it keeps better in paper bags, especially mushrooms. :thumbs:
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

The items you store together make a difference too.
For example, bananas produce a gas when ripening which causes other fruits, particularly apples, to ripen faster when stored together. You can actually use it to ripen things like mangos or kiwi to the softness and texture you (my kids) like.
There are other combinations which speed up/ slow down the process, which I can't remember off the top of my head.
Last edited by zodiac on Fri Dec 29 2023 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

zodiac wrote: Fri Dec 29 2023 15:54 -
For example, bananas produce a gas when ripening which causes other fruits, particularly apples, to ripen faster when stored together. You can actually use it to ripen things like mangos or kiwi to the softness and texture you (my kids) like.
There are other combinations which speed up/ slow down the process, which I can't remember off the top off my head.
:thumbs: I do the same with Bananas & Mangoes, it’s a good tip.
Interested to hear of any other combos?
Andy Sewell
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Andytheammer wrote: Fri Dec 29 2023 17:24 -
There are other combinations which speed up/ slow down the process, which I can't remember off the top off my head.
:thumbs: I do the same with Bananas & Mangoes, it’s a good tip.
Interested to hear of any other combos?
An old brickie I worked with used to put a banana with his green tomatoes to ripen them.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

RayB wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 15:38 -
I have found keeping veg out the fridge and in a dark place like yourself, it keeps better in paper bags, especially mushrooms. :thumbs:
Polythene bags makes veg or fruit sweat and get mouldy a lot quicker. As you say, the real key seems to be darkness.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

There are other combinations which speed up/ slow down the process, which I can't remember off the top of my head.
Bananas are inedible to me if they’re more than a day or so out of the shops. Because of this I rarely eat bananas other than to buy one while I’m at work for a snack. Nothing seems to spoil quicker.
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Dec 31 2023 10:52 -
RayB wrote: Thu Dec 28 2023 15:38 -
Polythene bags makes veg or fruit sweat and get mouldy a lot quicker. As you say, the real key seems to be darkness.
:thumbs:
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..