Bone Marrow, Bones

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Bone Marrow, Bones

Post by Stewlaws »

Usually try to get these to roast and scoop out,when doing casseroles using either Beef or Lamb/Venison, this use to be a by-product with zero cost, extortionate cost now of £6-7 for 2 4"-5" sections.

My kids love it, my partner thinks it is too rich, on these cold spells nothing is nicer than a casserole with fresh baked bread, dumplings and a walk preceding a hot meal.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Bone Marrow, Bones

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: Sat Jan 20 2024 16:38 -
Usually try to get these to roast and scoop out,when doing casseroles using either Beef or Lamb/Venison, this use to be a by-product with zero cost, extortionate cost now of £6-7 for 2 4"-5" sections.

My kids love it, my partner thinks it is too rich, on these cold spells nothing is nicer than a casserole with fresh baked bread, dumplings and a walk preceding a hot meal.
The name puts me off tbh but I wouldn’t mind betting they make for great flavour.

I’ve just got back from a six mile hike. Some nice local sausages sizzling in the air fryer. Slobbing out tonight. 😀
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jan 20 2024 17:38 -

The name puts me off tbh but I wouldn’t mind betting they make for great flavour.

I’ve just got back from a six mile hike. Some nice local sausages sizzling in the air fryer. Slobbing out tonight. 😀
The roasting of the bones then scooping out the marrow is a bit unsightly Chris, it's a dish I make without the kids seeing it, however it does change the taste and consistency, a slightly gelatinous consistency with a richness.. for those cold days it really is worthwhile trying, I will add the bones as well and casserole it all. Scoop out the marrow first and add though.

A dish was Marrow on toast, not had it but my eldest son has and ate it heartily, my youngest asks too many questions if it doesn't look conventional!
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Stewlaws wrote: Sat Jan 20 2024 17:54 -

The roasting of the bones then scooping out the marrow is a bit unsightly Chris, it's a dish I make without the kids seeing it, however it does change the taste and consistency, a slightly gelatinous consistency with a richness.. for those cold days it really is worthwhile trying, I will add the bones as well and casserole it all. Scoop out the marrow first and add though.

A dish was Marrow on toast, not had it but my eldest son has and ate it heartily, my youngest asks too many questions if it doesn't look conventional!
Can’t beat it Stew. :thumbs:

Only trouble is my wife’s too squeamish to even try anything like that.
She has VERY rigid lines on what she’ll eat, or not. No fish, nothing runny, or a watery jus, or sauce, gravy has to be sliceable :roll: slightest bit of gristle on, or in piece of meat and she’ll not eat any more. :roll:
And certainly nothing from inside a bone :eek:

She does annoy me at times. Especially when trying to book a decent meal. Until I met her she’d never tried Chinese, or Indian. It took me a couple of years to get her to even try those :hissy:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Sun Jan 21 2024 03:25 -

She has VERY rigid lines on what she’ll eat, or not. No fish, nothing runny, or a watery jus, or sauce, gravy has to be sliceable :roll: slightest bit of gristle on, or in piece of meat and she’ll not eat any more. :roll:

She does annoy me at times. Especially when trying to book a decent meal. Until I met her she’d never tried Chinese, or Indian. It took me a couple of years to get her to even try those :hissy:
Morning Karl,

One thing I enjoy about travel mate was the different cultures of food, If I choose one though it would be French classical dishes, my partner is a bit like what you described, she is a bit delicate, over the last several years she has got better though things like Oxtail or beef cheek/ pork cheek etc she is just averse to trying, always a butcher friend who said he would always buy meat close to the bone, we never buy legs of, always shoulder, shin, rib etc .. all in the cooking as you know.

I use to get a french black pudding that was out of this world, however it would be like a thick gravy consistency , use to run over the plate, but the taste was sublime...I was the only one who wanted it as it did look like a 'blood red dish once cut into'

Nose to tail cooking, cannot beat it, funnily enough watched a program last night on a korean bone both, looked amazing, used around 12 marrow bone just to form the base stock,with char grilled ginger and onions, my partners son will not not even try anything that does not look like ultra processed, luckily my children will try most things, my eldest will try then deliberate, usually by several more helpings!
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Stewlaws wrote: Sun Jan 21 2024 09:17 -
Edward.P.A.C wrote: Sun Jan 21 2024 03:25 -

Morning Karl,

One thing I enjoy about travel mate was the different cultures of food, If I choose one though it would be French classical dishes, my partner is a bit like what you described, she is a bit delicate, over the last several years she has got better though things like Oxtail or beef cheek/ pork cheek etc she is just averse to trying, always a butcher friend who said he would always buy meat close to the bone, we never buy legs of, always shoulder, shin, rib etc .. all in the cooking as you know.

I use to get a french black pudding that was out of this world, however it would be like a thick gravy consistency , use to run over the plate, but the taste was sublime...I was the only one who wanted it as it did look like a 'blood red dish once cut into'

Nose to tail cooking, cannot beat it, funnily enough watched a program last night on a korean bone both, looked amazing, used around 12 marrow bone just to form the base stock,with char grilled ginger and onions, my partners son will not not even try anything that does not look like ultra processed, luckily my children will try most things, my eldest will try then deliberate, usually by several more helpings!
I feel your pain, Stew.

Mine has got better over the years, ( been together 34 this year :cool: ). I have managed to get her into a few good establishment over the years, and improve her palette a little :wink:

I booked a table at Restaurant Paul Bocuse while we were in Lyon last year :cool: I had to make it a surprise, as if she'd seen the menu beforehand, she would never have come. :roll:
She loved it !!!!

The bank balance didn't though :pale:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

I was looking at 'La Gavroche' menu of Michel Roux jnr, which has now shut its doors..was £495 for the tasting menu. Sure it was an experience.

One guy I don't get is Salt Bae, all hype and no substance, and what the fcuk is the idea of them cutting your meat, last time that happened I was 4 yrs old

Another hype is Heston Blumenthal, too much like a science experiment than a dining experience. think if I was to win the pools mate I would move to France (South) and hire a personal trainer before I embark on a Fish/Shoot and dine lifestyle..
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

I would've loved to try La Gavrouche :cry: .

Been to a couple of Marco's, Ramseys and Kedrige restaurants. All excellent :thumbs: But Bocuse was a whole next level !!!!

Im with you Salt Bae, or whatever he calls himself. A grand for a "golden tomahawk" WTF is that all about :roll: And didn't he do a golden burger in Las Vegas or something that cost hundreds of dollars ffs.

Heston, I would like to try though.

My Bordeaux retirement plans have been scuppered, she won't come :mad: ........mind you,on the upside :wave: ... :laughs: :laughs:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Sun Jan 21 2024 10:35 -
I would've loved to try La Gavrouche :cry: .

Been to a couple of Marco's, Ramseys and Kedrige restaurants. All excellent :thumbs: But Bocuse was a whole next level !!!!

Im with you Salt Bae, or whatever he calls himself. A grand for a "golden tomahawk" WTF is that all about :roll: And didn't he do a golden burger in Las Vegas or something that cost hundreds of dollars ffs.

Heston, I would like to try though.

My Bordeaux retirement plans have been scuppered, she won't come :mad: ........mind you,on the upside :wave: ... :laughs: :laughs:
:laughs: I take she doesn't watch your online comments.

I think Marco fell out of love with food many years a go, Ramsey is just a potty mouth bully, think it was Roux jnr who came out recently and said the culture of shouting and swearing at staff needs to be consigned to history, he stated he mentored staff without the need to shout or blasphemy, I watched a program on a 4th generation restaurant in France, the staff were in their whites and hats, the kitchen was clinical like watching Swan lake, they moved effortlessly and in synchronicity without any hint of tension or shouting, was booked a year in advance and the menu had only changed once in the life of the restaurant and it had catered for world leaders and dignitaries who flew in just to eat here..
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

One place, well one of 3, we always go to when we visit the smoke is Goodman's. They have 3 steak houses in the city. They're far from cheap, but all the cuts they have are superb!

And the wine list :pale: :laughs:
Stewlaws wrote: Sun Jan 21 2024 10:47 -
:laughs: I take she doesn't watch your online comments.

Thankfully......NO :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

How much? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I get them free from my butcher for my dog!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Cant eat it Stew, same with Foie gras, both a bit to rich for me.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus