Pike Pool 5 (Jason Skilton)

An archive of our superb Pike Pool articles
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Pike Pool 5 (Jason Skilton)

Post by ChristopherH »

Can I ask folks that we don't allow Mark's critique to drag the thread into a slanging match.

The Pike Pool articles have been great as far as I'm concerned. A real tonic from the contrived closet adverts of paid writers where the ONLY objective of the work is to be paid. Technicalities aside the good honest product of genuine anglers suits me personally far more. That's why the article content of Pikelines consistently outclasses that of the mothlies with regular writers.
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

ChristopherH wrote:
Can I ask folks that we don't allow Mark's critique to drag the thread into a slanging match.

The Pike Pool articles have been great as far as I'm concerned. A real tonic from the contrived closet adverts of paid writers where the only objective is to be paid. Technicalities aside the good honest product of genuine anglers suits me personally far more. That's why the article content of Pikelines consistently outclasses that of the mothlies with regular writers.

Lol at least your amusing Hammy!!!Image Image Image Image
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

First the Man U Man City thread now this whats up Mark have you blanked again Image Image
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

merlin wrote:
ChristopherH wrote:

The Pike Pool articles have been great as far as I'm concerned. A real tonic from the contrived closet adverts of paid writers where the only objective is to be paid. Technicalities aside the good honest product of genuine anglers suits me personally far more. That's why the article content of Pikelines consistently outclasses that of the mothlies with regular writers.

Lol at least your amusing Hammy!!!Image Image Image Image
How do you proof read to a professional standard without knowing a basic like this Mark? Image

It's a mistake I frequently see you make. The word is: you're.
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

merlin wrote:
Well without wishing to offend anyone most of what has appeared on the PP so far quite rightly wouldnt have got near a published magazine in a million years...
While Chris might not agree, from where I'm sitting that's sorta kinda parta the point.

By the people, of the people and for the people. Image
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

davelumb wrote:
merlin wrote:
Well without wishing to offend anyone most of what has appeared on the PP so far quite rightly wouldnt have got near a published magazine in a million years...
While Chris might not agree, from where I'm sitting that's sorta kinda parta the point.

By the people, of the people and for the people. Image
Our new motto Dave. Spot on! Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
AndyOBrien
Chub
Chub

Post by AndyOBrien »

merlin wrote:
AndyOBrien wrote:
merlin wrote:
Jason Skilton PAC wrote:
merlin wrote:
Can somebody please email me when this revolutionary stuff that we were promised will arrive please.

Considering that we were supposed to be getting something that was supposedly better than PnP personally I am pretty underwhelmed.Image
Mark, What would you like to see then?????
Well without wishing to offend anyone most of what has appeared on the PP so far quite rightly wouldnt have got near a published magazine in a million years or shouldnt have. Chris's paste article and Lumby;s piece being the exceptions.

Without wishing to offend because I believe its your first go Jason your piece whilst ok on a blog or diary is lacking a lot if detail which the Ed should be asking you for. as an example, you mention that you switched to roach, but neglected to say if it was live or dead, believe it or not people are bothered and do want to know.

Also there are still numerous spelling mistakes or bad english present.

Wrap up Mark, these are nice storys, written by anglers for anglers, which is what the people want (believe it or not).

So don't start up with your little digs at this new project, I think Chris and his writters are doing a fine job.

look at the top banner Andy "Freedom of speech for all". Well I am excercising that right, if you dont like it I really couldnt give a rats a**e.
Yawn.
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Thats Marks problem...

He is a writer that angles a bit..

Instead of an angler that writes a bit.

I know what I prefer reading Image
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

phil.c wrote:
Thats Marks problem...

Image Image Image Image
TIGGER PAC
Roach
Roach

Post by TIGGER PAC »

AndyOBrien wrote:
merlin wrote:
Jason Skilton PAC wrote:
merlin wrote:
Can somebody please email me when this revolutionary stuff that we were promised will arrive please.

Considering that we were supposed to be getting something that was supposedly better than PnP personally I am pretty underwhelmed.Image
Mark, What would you like to see then?????
Well without wishing to offend anyone most of what has appeared on the PP so far quite rightly wouldnt have got near a published magazine in a million years or shouldnt have. Chris's paste article and Lumby;s piece being the exceptions.

Without wishing to offend because I believe its your first go Jason your piece whilst ok on a blog or diary is lacking a lot if detail which the Ed should be asking you for. as an example, you mention that you switched to roach, but neglected to say if it was live or dead, believe it or not people are bothered and do want to know.

Also there are still numerous spelling mistakes or bad english present.

Wrap up Mark, these are nice storys, written by anglers for anglers, which is what the people want (believe it or not).

So don't start up with your little digs at this new project, I think Chris and his writters are doing a fine job.

Well said that man i have enjoyed all so far i cant say that about recent copies of P&P
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

okay at least you're amusing!!!

my turn!!!

in Jasons piece you havent picked up that Jason flits between capitalising the Fens and not. Poor miss.

In the same article HJason says that his bait was present 5 feet off bottom, it should have been presented.

oh and once again they must have ached by the time that they got home as it was a long DIVE home Image
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

phil.c wrote:
Thats Marks problem...

Yawn, my PB list will stand up to most Image
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

merlin wrote:

my turn!!!

in Jasons piece you havent picked up that Jason flits between capitalising the Fens and not. Poor miss.

In the same article HJason says that his bait was present 5 feet off bottom, it should have been presented.

oh and once again they must have ached by the time that they got home as it was a long DIVE home Image
But according to your own logic it does not matter in an unprofessional context? Nobody is being paid. It's merely the work of enthusiastic anglers. So in the same way you don't use word tools to correct the things you clearly don't know for yourself when writing in your own 'voice', nor have I. There's very little editing going on because I like the idea of the individual's voice coming through. And apart from yourself, who, let's be completely honest, clearly has another agenda, it has been pretty well received by the people who matter. The forum users. Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Btw Those little spelling errors and typos that are my fault I tend to spot in subsequent readings and correct. So that is laziness on my part. Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

merlin wrote:

my turn!!!

Failure to capitalise the first letter of all but one sentence. It should be "Jason's" and "haven't". WTF is "HJason"?

merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

I just thought you would have been a bit less sloppy Chris and changing incorrect words or spelling is not going to interfere with the "authors voice" as you well know!
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

davelumb wrote:
merlin wrote:

my turn!!!

Failure to capitalise the first letter of all but one sentence. It should be "Jason's" and "haven't". WTF is "HJason"?

I refer my honoured friend to the response that I gave earlier. Image
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Oddball's after you, Mark.

ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

merlin wrote:
phil.c wrote:
Thats Marks problem...

I'm sure it does. I've seen you pictured with some cracking fish. Out of interest though, you being a leading writer in the piking world, exactly how many different pike have you caught that weighed over 25lbs? I ask because I read somewhere else recently where you answered that question with the word 'plenty'. I'm genuinely interested to know how your success with the bigger pike stands up to your pike angling peers.
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

merlin wrote:
I just thought you would have been a bit less sloppy Chris and changing incorrect words or spelling is not going to interfere with the "authors voice" as you well know!
That's fair comment Mark I honestly will look to improve on that score in future. Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

At least with web publication errors can be corrected after publication. Image
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

i'd prefer to read a fresh attempt from joe public piker than a load of basic and regurgitated stuff from someone that probably has less angling ability but thinks he's above them because he's written a few articles for money Image
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

I tell you what. OLd Max Clifford is correct in saying that 'any publicity is good publicity'. I think there have been around two hundred more hits since Mark made his initial comments. Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

ChristopherH wrote:
merlin wrote:
phil.c wrote:
Thats Marks problem...

I'm sure it does. I've seen you pictured with some cracking fish. Out of interest though, you being a leading writer in the piking world, exactly how many different pike have you caught that weighed over 25lbs? I ask because I read somewhere else recently where you answered that question with the word 'plenty'. I'm genuinely interested to know how your success with the bigger pike stands up to your pike angling peers.

blmey going to have to have a look on my pike list wherever the hell that is to give you an accurate answer, but off the top of head its about 10
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

jigmaster flash wrote:
i'd prefer to read a fresh attempt from joe public piker than a load of basic and regurgitated stuff from someone that probably has less angling ability but thinks he's above them because he's written a few articles for money Image

Fair enough I bet you read the Beano too Image Image
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

ChristopherH wrote:
I tell you what. OLd Max Clifford is correct in saying that 'any publicity is good publicity'. I think there have been around two hundred more hits since Mark made his initial comments. Image

There you go maybe I am a force for good after all!!
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

merlin wrote:
jigmaster flash wrote:

Fair enough I bet you read the Beano too Image Image
of course, it contains humour, a good story and doesn't pretend to be anything its not!Image
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

merlin wrote:
phil.c wrote:
Thats Marks problem...

This is a Pike forum Mark..

And as you are so fond of insulting people for whatever reason you leave yourself open to

critism.

You are a rude bad mannered person who's only claim to fame is the fact that we know

that you are trying to make a name for yourself.

Catch some Pike and maybe you will be taken seriously.

Until then carry on writing your how to do it articles for people that don't know any better.Image
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

merlin wrote:
ChristopherH wrote:
merlin wrote:
phil.c wrote:
Thats Marks problem...

blmey going to have to have a look on my pike list wherever the hell that is to give you an accurate answer, but off the top of head its about 10
Fair play to you for offering an answer Mark I can recall two memorable fish in that bracket that you've had. The Old West fish I think? And the Ski Pit one. I don't recall seeing your articles backed up with fish of that calibre too often though, so I am a bit surprised by your answer. I think in your position, wrongly or rightly, readers expect you to be catching fish of that stamp regularly. Most pike readers buying there reading material I feel are looking for advice from the reasonably successful captors of big pike.

I guess if we're being totally honest there is probably room for improvement in both our dealings with current pike writing. I will take your critique onboard and try and improve on the silly stuff. Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

fair point Chris but pike are something that kinda happened really and to be honest i dont see any difference in a 21 ponder to a 25 and a half say, other than many waters will not hold the latter.