TUNNY by Chris Berry

piker60
Barbel
Barbel

TUNNY by Chris Berry

Post by piker60 »

This little book is well worth a read. One of the few angling books in recent years that I couldn't put down. Discusses the history of the big Bluefin Tuna that used to swim off the Yorkshire coast in the early 1900's. Tackle development (Hardy the first big game reels rods etc) that resulted in these huge fish being caught on rod and line. The anglers spats, fallouts egos etc. Bit like these days really :laughs: . Written by a pike anger as well. A great book for not a lot of money. Medlar press published.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.
d roberts
Perch
Perch

Re: TUNNY by Chris Berry

Post by d roberts »

https://www.medlarpress.com/8022-Fishin ... Berry.html

I came across this a while ago, but had forgotten about it until now, cheers looks a good read.
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

The tunny fishery of north-east England was undoubtedly one of the most fascinating parts of angling history during the last century. :thumbs:

However, I preferred The Glory Days of the Giant Scarborough Tunny by Mark Ross. Expensive but worth it :smile:
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

d roberts wrote:
https://www.medlarpress.com/8022-Fishin ... Berry.html

I came across this a while ago, but had forgotten about it until now, cheers looks a good read.

That's the one pal. Paul sells it as well. :wink:
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

Luke wrote:
The tunny fishery of north-east England was undoubtedly one of the most fascinating parts of angling history during the last century. :thumbs:

However, I preferred The Glory Days of the Giant Scarborough Tunny by Mark Ross. Expensive but worth it :smile:
Yes Paul, was on your site yesterday and noticed that one. :thumbs:
W.Churchill
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

piker60 wrote:
Luke wrote:

Oi! I'm Luke. Paul's the old fella with the beard :laughs:
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

Luke wrote:
piker60 wrote:
Luke wrote:

Oi! I'm Luke. Paul's the old fella with the beard :laughs:

:laughs: my apologies are you related?
W.Churchill
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

No, I just work for him, occasionally outfish him (though generally don't) and often drink his beer and/or wine :smile:

Oh, and read all his books whilst pretending to sell them :study:
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

Luke wrote:
No, I just work for him, occasionally outfish him (though generally don't) and often drink his beer and/or wine :smile:

Oh, and read all his books whilst pretending to sell them :study:

Cough. You sound like the perfect employee :laughs:
W.Churchill
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

Luke wrote: Sun Apr 06 2014 14:40 -

Was in Hardy's of Alnwick last month. The Missus brought me the book you recommended. It was discounted. Very good read with excellent photos. Those Hardy and Alcock reels were very well engineered!
W.Churchill
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

The 'tunny' are back in the north sea. My mate has 6 fish this summer off the north coast of Denmark.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Are you allowed to keep them over there Andrew ? They have to be released here I believe.

Will.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

No... only 30 boats are granted a license to fish for them as a part of a state research program over a 2 week period in the summer. All fish are tagged and returned.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

How big are they getting?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

There have been fish getting caught off Ireland for some time (not the north see I know) so things are looking up.
Obviously the lack of herring caused their demise and is such a shame but they are back in small numbers.
I wonder what migration route they take to the north sea?
Interestingly tuna can almost (but not really) be classed as warm blooded as they can hold their temperature several degrees above that of the water and why the cold north sea is suitable habitat, also they do not possess swim bladders as this inhibits sudden changes in depth which suits the tunas feeding habits.

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
steve28fishing
Perch
Perch

Post by steve28fishing »

Fascinating.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

davelumb wrote: Sun Dec 16 2018 15:35 -
I'll ask him. He mentioned up to 800kg when I was last at his place, and he showed me some video. They had 6 fish to the boat over 4 days. The longest fight was 6 hours. On the forth day they took a mate out to fight any fish as they were too knackered.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Scroll down... there's a few videos. This is off Skagen in the north of Jutland.
https://smaabaadsnyt.dk/2018/08/30/se-d ... ra-skagen/
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

They were first sighted here again about 2 or 3 years ago. It was believed that they are feeding on the mackerel, herring and/or garfish. One fish that died during the fight was taken back to the labs and dissected. It's belly was full of crabs!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

On the forth day they took a mate out to fight any fish as they were too knackered.
:eek: :laughs:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

andrew_nagel wrote: Sun Dec 16 2018 22:26 -
I'll ask him. He mentioned up to 800kg when I was last at his place, and he showed me some video. They had 6 fish to the boat over 4 days. The longest fight was 6 hours. On the forth day they took a mate out to fight any fish as they were too knackered.
800 kg Andrew, that is exceptionally big by anyones standards and 120kg over the record (I just checked), do you think he may have meant pounds ? which is still a very good one! Here is a picky of the record fish http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecDetail.aspx?uid=24526&cn=Tuna, bluefin#.XBbOqkhFBok

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Dec 16 2018 23:15 -
800 kg Andrew, that is exceptionally big by anyones standards and 120kg over the record (I just checked), do you think he may have meant pounds ? which is still a very good one! Here is a picky of the record fish http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecDetail.aspx?uid=24526&cn=Tuna, bluefin#.XBbOqkhFBok

Cheers Alan
Sounds very big to me too, that's why I'll ask him again. :thumbs:
We might be piking together again over the festive season, so I'll get some gen.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

andrew_nagel wrote: Sun Dec 16 2018 23:31 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Dec 16 2018 23:15 -

Cheers Alan
Sounds very big to me too, that's why I'll ask him again. :thumbs:
We might be piking together again over the festive season, so I'll get some gen.
:cheers: Alan
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Biggest he had was 263cm and estimated at 345kg or 760lb(ish).
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Good stuff.

I watched a bit of one video and the rod was in a holder while the fish was being played!
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

That's how many of them do it. I know Christian had to have special rod holders and fittings fabricated for his boat. I think they stand and fight them, but others do it directly from the holder. These fish are towing the boat around for miles! I've tried some big game fishing and TBH find fish that physically exhaust me not much fun. I like to relax!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

In another vid there was a guy holding the rod - but looked in danger of going water skiing!
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

You see videos with a bloke standing with the rod, and another bloke stood behind him holding on to the anglers harness. I would imagine that if the reel jammed when a 350kg tuna makes a run then both are going overboard! I'll stick to placid pike.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

I caught one reasonable tuna a couple of years ago, just over 200lb and to be honest it wasn't that much fun, like being hooked to the bottom for 40 minutes!

Cheers Alan
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

andrew_nagel wrote: Mon Dec 17 2018 12:01 -
That's how many of them do it. I know Christian had to have special rod holders and fittings fabricated for his boat. I think they stand and fight them, but others do it directly from the holder. These fish are towing the boat around for miles! I've tried some big game fishing and TBH find fish that physically exhaust me not much fun. I like to relax!
Stand and fight with a 300lb sturgeon in fast water is exhausting enough, let alone with a pelagic fish twice that size.

Not sure how tight they would have the drag when standing and fighting, but my experience showed me if I thumbed the spool too hard on a running fish I had to do a little shuffle to keep upright. :eek:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."