Marty Mac
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Rod Stuck

Post by Marty Mac » Wed Mar 16 2016 14:10

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Marty wrote:
Rob just seen this, and here's what you need to do:

run masking tape around the blank and away from the join point on both halves of the rod, so you have a good 4" each side covered. Then tape (and tape well!) 3 pieces of 3" long wood (1/2" x 1/2" ) equidistantly around the blank on top the masking tape on each side of the joint. You will now have well over an inch of diameter to grip on both sides, and be able to exert MUCH more pull force. As long as youve taped it well it should come apart with a pull+twist no problem.

i've done it with salmon and sea rods that have been stuck solid, and its always worked.

btw, the WD40 may help but it is not a good thing to leave on carbon rods (especially inside where it has direct contact to bare carbon fibres) for any period of time, as it will contaminate and possibly damage the resin that bonds the fibres together.
Marty as you're taping wood around the joints now, could it also be an idea to lightly tap down on one section (the top of the wood) at the same time as twisting pulling? So it would act a bit like pulling your tool.....
:afraid: :afraid: :afraid:

nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage » Wed Mar 16 2016 23:17

Emma Hamilton wrote:
Unlucky Mr Lumb, put those new blanks back in the cupboard :bounce: :cry:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Mar 17 2016 08:57

a**e. :cry:

BOBC
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by BOBC » Thu Mar 17 2016 18:47

Right Rob, now do the following to stop it happening again. :roll:
Clean off the male part :afraid: [of the rod] and then wipe it with the side of a wax candle, don't go mad doing this. Put the joint together and slightly twist before fully fitting the joint. this with coat both parts with a light coating of wax. I do this once a year with all my rods and have never had a problem , or stuck joint. :thumbs:
Last edited by BOBC on Thu Mar 17 2016 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton » Thu Mar 17 2016 19:18

BOBC wrote:
Clean off the male part :afraid: [of the rod] and then wipe it with the side of a wax candle, don't go mad doing this. Put the rod together and slightly ywist before fully fitting the joinrt. this with coat both parts with a light coating of wax. I do this once a year with all my rods and have never had a problem , or stuck joint. :thumbs:
r

Thanks Bob, i will do this. However, it'll have to wait. The next time i want to touch any fishing gear will be in the garden giving the lot it's annual clean up and it wont be until it warms up and ive shorts and Tshirt on and beer in hand :grin:

rob

nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage » Fri Mar 18 2016 20:13

BOBC wrote:
Clean off the male part :afraid: [of the rod] and then wipe it with the side of a wax candle, don't go mad doing this. Put the joint together and slightly twist before fully fitting the joint. this with coat both parts with a light coating of wax. I do this once a year with all my rods and have never had a problem , or stuck joint. :thumbs:
The old ones are the best Bob :thumbs:

Kev Berry
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Kev Berry » Fri Mar 18 2016 20:36

had one of my dictators get stuck, wasn't an option to bring it home and try all the known methods. All I could try was the heave ho, you twist one way, pour hot tea over joint etc all to no avail
In the end I tightened a small adjustable spanner onto the female joint, and hit it with stainless bank stick--two hits and it popped out and didn't really do any damage just scuffed the varnish on the whipping :cool:
(must remember to apply the yearly candle rub to ALL my rods :laughs: )

zodiac
Chub
Chub

Post by zodiac » Sat Mar 19 2016 00:16

Try this if your on your own, bend over as if your about to s**t but not too low.. then put one arm either side of your thighs, about half way down, gripping the rod tight, under your a**e, so to speak,prise your legs apart and use the strength of your legs to pull them apart. It's difficult to describe but it works.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly

BOBC
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by BOBC » Sun Mar 20 2016 11:48

This post reminded me of a problem we had a few years back. A mate had a stuck joint and after much pulling and twisting it came free. The problem was that it was a spigot joint and the glue had failed on the bottom section. The spigot still fast in the top section but now loose in the butt section :afraid: It went back to the shop and then back to the makers and he did get a replacement after quite a while, after many phone calls :evil: I had the same rod, bought at the same time as my mates. Thought I'd test mine out. Butt stood on the floor and 1 hit on the end of the spigot [with a rubber mallet] saw the spigot drop down the inside of the blank :mad: There looked to be only a few spots of glue on the spigot. I reglued it in and had no problems with it. Couldn't understand how the makers were holding back on mates rod replacement when it was such a clear case of faulty manufacture. :evil:

nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage » Tue Mar 22 2016 10:29

BOBC wrote:
This post reminded me of a problem we had a few years back. A mate had a stuck joint and after much pulling and twisting it came free. The problem was that it was a spigot joint and the glue had failed on the bottom section. The spigot still fast in the top section but now loose in the butt section :afraid: It went back to the shop and then back to the makers and he did get a replacement after quite a while, after many phone calls :evil: I had the same rod, bought at the same time as my mates. Thought I'd test mine out. Butt stood on the floor and 1 hit on the end of the spigot [with a rubber mallet] saw the spigot drop down the inside of the blank :mad: There looked to be only a few spots of glue on the spigot. I reglued it in and had no problems with it. Couldn't understand how the makers were holding back on mates rod replacement when it was such a clear case of faulty manufacture. :evil:
Those Winfield rods from Woolworths definitely overrated Bob, you should have taken your £5- 19s6d elsewhere :wave:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Mar 22 2016 10:53

nigel savage wrote:
Those Winfield rods from Woolworths definitely overrated Bob, you should have taken your £5- 19s6d elsewhere :wave:
My Winfield rod had ferrules. :grin:

BOBC
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by BOBC » Tue Mar 22 2016 20:11

nigel savage wrote:
BOBC wrote:
:boing: :boing: My secrets out now Nigel :sad:

HARRYW
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by HARRYW » Tue Mar 22 2016 21:19

Woolworths used to make really good feathers for summer mackerel. :thumbs:

MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford » Wed Oct 09 2019 13:41

managed to get two sections of my fly rod rod well and truely stuck together, a quick search and this thread from 3 years ago popped up and following Martys instructions it was soon sorted!! happy days
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook