Rod and reel

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Rod and reel

Post by jocki »

Hello,

I need help finding a spinning reel and rod. Im gonna be live and deadbait fishing for pike. But also casting lures. I'll be fishing from shore and from boat.

I lost my box with all my lures last summer so i havent bought any lures yet. I will buy lures according to what Rod you recommend. My budget is 150€ (200€ if necessary.) Thanks in advance :)
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Re: Rod and reel

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I think with a rather generous budget like (200e) that I would suggest you by two rods and two reels (if required), one for lure fishing and one for bait fishing.
A good lure rod makes for a poor bait fishing rod and vice versa.

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jocki »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu May 11 2017 07:35 -
I think with a rather generous budget like (200e) that I would suggest you by two rods and two reels (if required), one for lure fishing and one for bait fishing.
A good lure rod makes for a poor bait fishing rod and vice versa.

Cheers ALan
Whats the difference between the two and what do you recommend?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

The most obvious difference here between the two is usually length, bait rods are often 12 ft and spinning rods often around 9ft.
Then there is the correct action and power.
A good bait rod for pike will have a softish action or as Mr Lumb puts it, "on the stiff side of through" some people call this action "progressive"
A test curve of around 2.75lb will cover most conditions.
These long and often powerful rods are designed for casting large loads, often weighing 8oz or more and yet are forgiving enough when it comes to playing fish.
These rod will spend most of their life sitting in rod rests.

A good spinning rod as said is shorter and has a faster action.
These rod are designed for being held in the hands all the time, casting lures that often weigh just a couple of ounces and so must have a faster or tippy ation for flicking accurate casts here and there.
There faster actions often often have hidden power near the butt of the blank making them surprisingly powerful little rods.

There is such a difference between a good bait and lure rod that you will come to appreciate if you buy one of each and then for fun, ask then to do the other task.

What sort of lures do you intend to use as their weight is important and what sort of waters will you be bait fishing as these factors are important in selecting the right rods.

You never know I may even get some help in answering you question lol

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jocki »

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I intend to use wobblers and shads weighing up to a little over 2oz. Slow sinking or shallow running lures. I'll be fishing in different lakes with a depth of 3-7 feet.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

I dont keep up on new tackle much but got these from others threads, http://www.thetackle-shop.co.uk/section ... 4588/.html I would go for the 8ft 20-60g and http://www.thetackle-shop.co.uk/section ... 5570/.html. I would go for the 12ft 2.75lb tc
This way you could make an order from one supplier.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money initially, not until you appreciate the the finer thinks in rod design and blank technology.

Cheers Alan
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jocki »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat May 13 2017 06:55 -
I dont keep up on new tackle much but got these from others threads, http://www.thetackle-shop.co.uk/section ... 4588/.html I would go for the 8ft 20-60g and http://www.thetackle-shop.co.uk/section ... 5570/.html. I would go for the 12ft 2.75lb tc

I wouldn't spend a lot of money initially, not until you appreciate the the finer thinks in rod design and blank technology.

Cheers Alan
I think they ship to Finland. But i sent a mail and asked them. But what reels or reel do you recommend?
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jocki »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat May 13 2017 06:55 -

Cheers Alan
They ship to finland but the shipping is 50€ and i cant seem to find the rods in Finland. Could i buy a good spinning rod for lures and use it for both live/dead baiting and lures. And then invest in a good deadbait rod later on when i can spend more? Or can i really get 2 good rods and reels for under 150-200€?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Im still a bit surprised some of the tackle nerds haven't jumped in to recommend a few products.
The rods I linked above are more of a guide to what you should be looking for and what's out there, what you can pay.
There are loads of reels on ebay for decent money, shimano and okuma make nice spinning reels for less than £40. Searching for sea spinning reels with whatever brand should find a decent reel.

Cheers Alan
jocki
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by jocki »

Thanks for the guidelines and help. But i dont really know the difference between the fast,slow action, test curve etc.. And can you really rely on all manufacturers specifications? It would be easier if someone recommended something specific 😊
Fenlandesox
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Fenlandesox »

jocki wrote: Tue May 16 2017 13:46 -
Thanks for the guidelines and help. But i dont really know the difference between the fast,slow action, test curve etc.. And can you really rely on all manufacturers specifications? It would be easier if someone recommended something specific 😊
where do you live in finland ? im an expat living in helsinki i could help , at least lend you some gear until you get it together. motonet is so cheap though the fishing tackle here must be some of the cheapest in the world.... berkley cherrywood rods are about 24 euros....
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Fenlandesox wrote: Tue May 30 2017 06:17 -
jocki wrote: Tue May 16 2017 13:46 -
where do you live in finland ? im an expat living in helsinki i could help , at least lend you some gear until you get it together. motonet is so cheap though the fishing tackle here must be some of the cheapest in the world.... berkley cherrywood rods are about 24 euros....

Now that is what I call a helpful reply.
Top man Ferox :thumbs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus