Aquariums n Fish Keepers

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Angler Dangler
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Aquariums n Fish Keepers

Post by Angler Dangler »

Who here keeps fish ?

As a fish keeper myself I just wonder who else has got a fish tank and what fish you keep.

I currently have got 4 aquariums running, my biggest is a 450litre with American cichlids in, my favourite two fish are my Red Tiger Oscar and Green Terror .... What's yours ?
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Re: Aquariums n Fish Keepers

Post by brian donnelly »

I used to have numerous tanks years ago, biggest being 6x2x2 which held 4 stunning tiger Oscars that I reared from 2 inches long when 1st bought them to 14 inches. Feeding time in when lakes where rich with fry was amazing, I'd gather hundreds from nearby lakes and keep them in other tanks for feeding, place got soaked when I'd introduce the fry into their tank. Oscars have to be my favourite, but I do have a soft spot for green sevrums too.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

The last few set ups I've had were marine, spent god knows how many thousands on them over the years just for the odd tang to get white spot and wipe the tank out in the end it was just stressing me out too much and got shut, I have been thinking lately to get another tho.
Angler Dangler
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Angler Dangler »

brian donnelly wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 19:14 -
I used to have numerous tanks years ago, biggest being 6x2x2 which held 4 stunning tiger Oscars that I reared from 2 inches long when 1st bought them to 14 inches. Feeding time in when lakes where rich with fry was amazing, I'd gather hundreds from nearby lakes and keep them in other tanks for feeding, place got soaked when I'd introduce the fry into their tank. Oscars have to be my favourite, but I do have a soft spot for green sevrums too.
Yeh, Severums are nice, I used to keep Mbuna and my tank was very impressive to look at, I did lose interest abit though, I don't know why. Id love a big tank with a shoal of peacock bass... I think there beautiful in fish terms :smile:
Angler Dangler
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Angler Dangler »

Wes12 wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 19:37 -
The last few set ups I've had were marine, spent god knows how many thousands on them over the years just for the odd tang to get white spot and wipe the tank out in the end it was just stressing me out too much and got shut, I have been thinking lately to get another tho.
The marine side of things scares me tbh, as well as the prices. I know nothing tropical can compare with with tropical for looks etc, I do occasionally think of going marine. Is it a nightmare in terms of upkeep, husbandry and commitment ?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Gotbin to it few years ago. Kept roach and rudd and a tench for 3 years.

Lost a little interest in it so all ive got the now are some weather loach and a banjo catfish. Its in limbo just now but looking to try roach again. Tried at start of summer and dumped about 8 in, too much too soon i think. All got fungal infection and died.
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

Angler Dangler wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 19:42 -
Wes12 wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 19:37 -
The marine side of things scares me tbh, as well as the prices. I know nothing tropical can compare with with tropical for looks etc, I do occasionally think of going marine. Is it a nightmare in terms of upkeep, husbandry and commitment ?
It's very expensive setting it up , then having to make sure the fish are stocked in the right order because a lot are very territorial, then there's the tangs which look really nice but can be a nightmare with white spot.but when everything s running well with the corals in and the led lights on, there's nothing better.
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

Andrew Croft wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 20:08 -
Gotbin to it few years ago. Kept roach and rudd and a tench for 3 years.

Lost a little interest in it so all ive got the now are some weather loach and a banjo catfish. Its in limbo just now but looking to try roach again. Tried at start of summer and dumped about 8 in, too much too soon i think. All got fungal infection and died.
Get some pihrana in or snakeheads, soon liven things up.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

had a 6 x 2 x 2tank, kept all sorts in it

best was a 1lb jack (that grew to 1-12) brilliant watching him and the way he would chase fish, wouldn't eat deads though
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I have kept marines, malawi, and freshwater tropical. For many years I kept and bred south and central american cichlids. Big central americans have always been my favourite area but due to their need for big tanks and the running costs that go with that I sold up when the recession hit.
These days I just keep the 5x2x2 community set up above, it holds a nice variety of fish and there is always something to watch happening somewhere, be it a little dispute over an area or something has paired up and began spawning.
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Post by brian donnelly »

I can't see anything above Daniel :scratch: :shrug:
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

brian donnelly wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 21:16 -
Bloody photobucket have blocked the pictures.
Will try and upload them tomorrow.
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Daniel wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 21:23 -
brian donnelly wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 21:16 -
Bloody photobucket have blocked the pictures.
Will try and upload them tomorrow.
Only if you pay them £300 I think it is..
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
Wes12
Perch
Perch

Post by Wes12 »

I just clicked on it and the pics came up, sent me to safari on my iPhone
Angler Dangler
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Angler Dangler »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Sep 08 2017 20:24 -
had a 6 x 2 x 2tank, kept all sorts in it

best was a 1lb jack (that grew to 1-12) brilliant watching him and the way he would chase fish, wouldn't eat deads though
Awesome. I live very close to a well known aquatics shop.... There's always the desire to keep buying :shrug:
Barbelist
Chub
Chub

Post by Barbelist »

For me, always seemed to have fish about the house - 6x2x2 coral reef in the living room....a fair sized pond in the back garden as well

Paul
COMPLAINING ABOUT A PROBLEM WITHOUT PROPOSING A SOLUTION IS CALLED WHINING
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Barbelist wrote: Sat Sep 09 2017 14:48 -
For me, always seemed to have fish about the house - 6x2x2 coral reef in the living room....a fair sized pond in the back garden as well

Paul
If we are getting all sizeish like that me ole mucker, Ill see your 6x2x2 tank and pond and raise you a 56 acre lake in the front garden and a 10 acre marina in the back garden....

(that you are always welcome to fish face)

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Post by brian donnelly »

Ye big show off :smile: :thumbs:
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
Mully
Roach
Roach

Post by Mully »

Heres my 55L Cube set up. No Co2 just a few drops of tropica fertiliser. Currently have 3 zebra nerite snails and a few tetras knocking about. All the plants have grown since the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barbelist
Chub
Chub

Post by Barbelist »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Sep 09 2017 15:04 -
Barbelist wrote: Sat Sep 09 2017 14:48 -

Paul
If we are getting all sizeish like that me ole mucker, Ill see your 6x2x2 tank and pond and raise you a 56 acre lake in the front garden and a 10 acre marina in the back garden....

(that you are always welcome to fish face)

Cheers Alan
Cookie - Made I chuckle....might just take you up on that offer come pike o'clock mucker....

Paul
COMPLAINING ABOUT A PROBLEM WITHOUT PROPOSING A SOLUTION IS CALLED WHINING