Almost ready to have a go at dead baiting

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Fishplate42
Stickleback
Stickleback

Almost ready to have a go at dead baiting

Post by Fishplate42 »

This autumn/winter I intend to have a go at pike fishing for the first time. Initially, I will be fishing a Stillwater, which claims to have fish up to mid doubles in weight. Most fish seem to be around the 10lb mark. Although I will be fishing alone there will be other people fishing for pike on the lake and the bailiff will be around too, so I will have some 'supervision' unhooking if I need it. I am fairly confident I will be able to deal with the fish.

I want to go through the gear I have (and am acquiring) before I make the trip. I plan to use my 3lbtc 12ft carp rod loaded with braid on a 60 size reel. I have a large unhooking mat and a large (900mm) rubberised predator net. I will have 12-inch long nose pliers and a pair of long-reach wire cutters. I do have a pair of forceps and a 'butcher's' glove, although I don't intend using the glove unless I have to. Is there anything else I should have in the way of tackle?

For bait, I intend to use supermarket frozen fish. Any suggestions as to what to buy?

As far as end tackle is concerned I will have to use single or double barbless hooks (Fishery Rules). It is the line and trace wire I am not sure about what to use so some advice here would be useful.

Ralph.
It was T H I S big - Honest!

My blog
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Almost ready to have a go at dead baiting

Post by Duncan Holmes »

THE most important thing you need to make sure you have a good understanding of how your bite indication system will work.

The easiest fool proof method is a heavy running lead with a tight line to a heavy indicator, or an oversized lift float method using an unloaded float.

Make sure that you are able to immediately respond to any indication, and strike within a few seconds, especially this time of year when water is still warm(ish) pike often have a tendency to grab and swallow the bait.

The most effective strike is to wind down hard with the rod pointing at the fish, and sweep the rod in to a long curve, keeping the pressure on will help drive the hooks home at the point the fish decides to release the hold on the bait.

A really good book to get your hands on a as a pike fishing beginner is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-P ... 1852238232, although its 20 years old, the information there is as valid today as it was then for 95% of the stuff.

As for line, 0.33-0.44mm braid is perfect for bait fishing, I use powerpro for a floating line and Suffix 832 for a sinking/neutral line.

Trace wire needs to be at least 28lb, have a search on the forum for traces and you will find plenty of helpful threads on crimping and twisting.

Bait wise, you wont go far wrong with a lump of mackerel on most waters at any time of the season, but TBH any dead fish will catch pike on its day.

If you are going to unhook pike without a glove, expect to get scratched by the rakers, and although minor they can bleed for a long time so a roll of tape is handy to have, give them a good scrub when you get home and they will heal pretty quickly.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Last edited by Duncan Holmes on Wed Oct 11 2017 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Fishplate42
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Fishplate42 »

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I intend to just sit it out with one rod initially so I can react quickly to a bite, even if that means missing the odd fish by striking too quickly, rather that than to deep-hook my first fish. I will seek out the book you recommend and will reconsider my intention to not use a glove, especially if I happen to hook a bigger fish first time out.

I intend to use my 3lb tc carp rod, at least at first. Do you think this will do the job?

I will let you know how I get on, again, thanks for taking the time to rely.

Ralph.

My blog
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

What carp rod is it ? They aint really made for piking they could be really tippy not made for throwing a pike rig. That said i had a carp rod that felt fine for float and close in ledgering. I certainly wouldnt want to give it full beans with the cast. They were banshee rods, people around here were buying them like mad for pike cause it said "3lb tc" they were cheap decent rods.... for carp. People started breaking them and a mate gave me a spare one he had and knew right away why they were getting broken. Good pike float rods though imo. 4oz and a big mackie at full pelt was just asking too much of them.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Fishplate42 wrote: Wed Oct 11 2017 18:31 -
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I intend to just sit it out with one rod initially so I can react quickly to a bite, even if that means missing the odd fish by striking too quickly, rather that than to deep-hook my first fish. I will seek out the book you recommend and will reconsider my intention to not use a glove, especially if I happen to hook a bigger fish first time out.

I intend to use my 3lb tc carp rod, at least at first. Do you think this will do the job?

I will let you know how I get on, again, thanks for taking the time to rely.

Ralph.
A carp rod action will generally not be ideal for pike, but I have caught plenty of pike up and in to the twenties on my Harrison Torrix rods, as Andy says just be mindful that a carp rod is designed for casting a small dense load, rather than a heavy bulky load and adjust your casting to suit.

As a beginner I wouldnt rush out and buy a pike rod just yet, get out there and catch a few, upgrading your gear as you work out what you need.

Its more than fine to not use a glove, hundreds of pikers and many before them have never used a glove, BUT do what ever gives you the confidence, with no glove sometimes you WILL get cut and it WILL sting abit, but TBH it really isn't that bad. Just remember don't try to pull your fingers out of a thrashing pike, for one its not good for the pike and 2nd it will hurt a lot more if you do, just hold on an the pike will calm down. Its usually the little ones that get you the best.

With a glove, just be careful you down grab the gill rakers, from time to time we all catch pike that have a broken gill raker, I am convinced this is the result of use of gloves, purely because with no glove you will soon know if you have grabbed the gill raker.

I should have said on the 1st post, it is well worth seeking out you local Pike Anglers Club Group, there are usually plenty of resources and opportunities for a new pike angler.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Wed Oct 11 2017 16:37 -
A really good book to get your hands on a as a pike fishing beginner is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-P ... 1852238232, although its 20 years old, the information there is as valid today as it was then for 95% of the stuff.

thanks for the link just bought a good hardback off ebay for 2.35 :)
Fishplate42
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Fishplate42 »

My carp rod is a cheap Lineaffe Total Carp 3lb (sold by Chapmans Angling). I am trying to use what I have to start with and, as you say, upgrade once I have some experience. The lake I am intending to fish is not very big so casting will be fairly short, no huge chucks or I will be on the far bank or even the lake next door! The glove thing is still open for debate as far as I am concerned. My initial reason for using them was so I could feel what am holding. As far as a few cuts are concerned I would rather that tan damage the fish. I will be taking some tape and plasters with me.

Your input has been very useful - Thank You.

Ralph.

My blog
Fenlandesox
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Fenlandesox »

dont overthink it, just use a float to give good indication and stong terminal tackle you will be fine. its not really that hard so dont panic. loads of great videos online showing you how to unhook. it sounds like you are pretty well prepared and know what you need.
David.F.Scobie
Perch
Perch

Post by David.F.Scobie »

Most of what I would advise has already been said to you on here so I will just wish you luck and tight lines.

I normally suggest going fishing with a more experienced angler so you can see how things are done, but if this isn’t possible then decent bite indication a trace no shorter than 18” and tools to remove hooks is a basic starting point.

So good luck to you buddy.
Through adversity to the stars

YouTube Channel:-
https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidScobie

David Scobie Angling Adventures:-https://www.facebook.com/DFSAngling/
Angler Dangler
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Angler Dangler »

Give it a go mate, but go with someone experienced at unhooking... It can be a bloody ordeal ... Let us know how you get on and tight lines
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

Best advice I can give is strike early ! Floats give fantastic bite indication, an Tesco finest sardines from the fish monger are doing me proud at the moment , also try go with someone who has experience with pike and take a small first aid kit although pike don't bite but the teeth are that sharp you won't even know your cut an then the bleeding comes lol
Born to fish but forced to work
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Cheap carp rods often tend to have softer actions so you may be lucky with that one.
One little tip I would give is always use an alarm even when float fishing one rod, little distractions from wildlife or when nature calls can cause delay and a deeply hooked fish!

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Oct 20 2017 00:55 -
Cheap carp rods often tend to have softer actions so you may be lucky with that one.
One little tip I would give is always use an alarm even when float fishing one rod, little distractions from wildlife or when nature calls can cause delay and a deeply hooked fish!

Cheers ALan
Do you use an alarm on the boat Alan?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Fri Oct 20 2017 07:12 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Fri Oct 20 2017 00:55 -

Cheers ALan
Do you use an alarm on the boat Alan?
Sometimes mate if tied up solid.

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Fishplate42
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Fishplate42 »

I started this thread, almost a year ago with the intention of having a go. For various reasons it did not happen and time slipped by. I have, however, now had some experience with unhooking pike. Back in January, I decided to have a day fishing for perch at my favourite Fishery. First cast was an underarm flick into the close margin. To my utter surprise, no sooner had the bait hit the water it was taken, and taken at speed, with power. This was no perch.

It turned out to be a pike, and no small jack either. I had caught and landed it on a size 16 hook with no trace. luckily I had hooked in in the corner of its mouth. The full story is on my blog HERE, if you want to see my first pike and tell me what you think it might weigh.

A couple of months later, a similar thing happened. This time the pike took my feeder hook bait, while I was reeling it in. Again, no trace and a relatively small hook.

My second pike, again caught by accident!

It is now the very end of September and I am intending to have a proper go at piking this season. I have all the gear, and a mate who is now just about to start his second season of pike fishing, so I now have someone to discuss it with. As well as having a go using dead bait at the commercial, the rivers of Kent will be a target as I am now getting more interested in fishing natural venues. I will post any results - good or bad!

Ralph

My blog
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Well done.
You should be very pleased at landing two nice fish on such light tackle.

What you should appreciate with the fish in your pic is that it has no marks, missing sclaes or fin tears caused by anglers line* this is a clear indication it has not been caught many times if at all, or that if it was it has been handled correctly, it is also in very good condition, well proportioned and obviously feeding well.
If you catch a number of pristine fish it could indicate that the water is not fished intensively by anglers targeting pike, which is even better as the fish will not be cautious of your methods, or it could indicate that the water is being pike fished but that the anglers know exactly what they are doing, and you must remember experienced pike anglers do not waste their time fishing poor waters.

Buy yourself a suitable weigh sling and a set of good scales, if your luck continues your going to need them.
For the fish in the pic and caught on a 16 I'll give you 10lbs.

* the damage to the lower lobe of the tail is not uncommon, usually caused when the tail stikes an obstruction during in the lightning fast surge as the fish attacks prey.

Lastly if you want to ruin a good pike water the very best way to tell someone, anyone, it doesn't matter who, people talk, pike anglers harvest such info and correlate it with indiscreet photographs eg; a neat edge to grass, and the location of your water is discovered. Blogs, Fu++book, loose talk in tackle shops or to the 'Bailiff' should be avoided at all costs.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Yeap,Don't tell anyone anything,even your mates,only tell your mates if they are putting as much into it as you are,Why not give singles a try,this season all my piking has been done with a single single..............I sleep a lot better at night..Good luck boy
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
Fishplate42
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Fishplate42 »

I have no intention of broadcasting the exact location of my natural venues, nor will I mention the name of the commercial fisheries I will visit, on this forum. Although I understand the reasons for not giving away hard earned information, I don't see the reason for not talking about a fishery that openly advertises its pike lake(s) to the world, and publishes catches.

That said, I respect the rules of this forum and will not disclose the locations.

I have bought a couple of books and watched a lot of pike videos. After catching a couple of pike this year, I have now handled them and I feel a lot more confident I will be able to deal with the catch. Everyone has to start somewhere and having someone around when I caught my first fish was a great help. I am looking forward to getting out and having a go. It may not be straight away as I have a few 'issues' with the medication I am using at the moment, which does not make fishing trips very wise. Hopefully, my system will settle down over the course of the coming week.

Over the past year, I have acquired the necessary gear for dead baiting. I intend to use single circle hooks, at least initially and see how it goes. I have a good sized unhooking mat and weigh sling along with a set of scales. I also have put together a set of unhooking tools, as recommended here and from several other sources. The long-nose pliers and cutters are serious looking pieces of kit!

My first attempt will probably be on a river in Kent, where I know there are pike to be had. Hopefully, that will be in just over a week's time when I have arranged to go and fish this stretch with my brother, who is also a novice pike angler. Wish me luck.

BTW, Is it okay to mention the river, if not the actual location?

Ralph.

My blog