Best Float for perch

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
seven
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Best Float for perch

Post by seven »

Im fishing for perch with lobs,I'm using a Polaris waggler float.anyone else using these or what can you recommend,cheers
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Best Float for perch

Post by Andrew »

I like a loafer, aka swan float. great for trotting and twitching.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

On stillwaters driftbeater type float for "laying on"

On rivers, chubber or loafer
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Caught more big perch on pike floats than anything else I reckon! Normally use a loafer if I'm targeting them πŸ‘
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

On stillwater some form of waggler. I don't use Polaris type floats as I'm often fishing off the bottom.

I also use an undershotted waggler attached bottom end only for livebaits rather than the commonly recommended bobber or loafer. This is because the sunk line then slows the bait down. Additionally the long stem above the water tells me the direction the perch is running so making hitting takes more successful.
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

Small Drennan zeppler floats are good for perch, I think their length and smaller diameter reduces the resistance on them going under. Then again a heavy waggler gives even less resistance and fished lift method is ideal.
I've used Polaris floats in the past, but think they aren't as well made as they were and unless set up properly are susceptible to creeping up the line with wave / wind action.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Esoxuk wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24 2017 09:10 -
Small Drennan zeppler floats are good for perch, I think their length and smaller diameter reduces the resistance on them going under. Then again a heavy waggler gives even less resistance and fished lift method is ideal.
I've used Polaris floats in the past, but think they aren't as well made as they were and unless set up properly are susceptible to creeping up the line with wave / wind action.
Woyld you use zepplers for float fishing lobworms though :scratch:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

dannytaylor wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24 2017 16:08 -
Dont think i would. Maybe with fish bait but saying that though, ive used a loafer to good effect with a few cm to an inch lip hooked baits and lobs.

The indication with a loafer is so good for perch. When moved they pop up quick and stay amd are not hard to pull under. a bite at that point, as they do when twitching, there is no mistaking with a loafer.

Great floats for trotting a river too :grin:
johnweddup
Roach
Roach

Post by johnweddup »

Steve Burke wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23 2017 19:36 -
On stillwater some form of waggler. I don't use Polaris type floats as I'm often fishing off the bottom.

I also use an undershotted waggler attached bottom end only for livebaits rather than the commonly recommended bobber or loafer. This is because the sunk line then slows the bait down. Additionally the long stem above the water tells me the direction the perch is running so making hitting takes more successful.
You're name gets mentioned regularly these days Steve as my friend and I both know you and are fishing for perch again this winter. Your comments and writings are , as always, very interesting.

Kind regards

John
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

johnweddup wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24 2017 17:55 -
Steve Burke wrote: ↑Mon Oct 23 2017 19:36 -

You're name gets mentioned regularly these days Steve as my friend and I both know you and are fishing for perch again this winter. Your comments and writings are , as always, very interesting.

Kind regards

John
It's always nice to see some of the anglersnet lads. I think budgie floats about too :giggle:
Steve Burke
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Steve Burke »

Cheers, guys.

Yes, I hope to do some perch and pike fishing at Wingham this winter. Last year I got just 6 half days piking on the Main Lake.
seven
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by seven »

Cheers
billybaltic
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by billybaltic »

A chubber or loafer float, as good as each other, just my opinion.
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

dannytaylor wrote: ↑Tue Oct 24 2017 16:08 -
No but would certainly put a dead roach under one
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

I just use what ever will support my bait sufficiently?

(Usually live baits face)
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I remember watching some kids fishing live minnows for perch at Horton Kirby, back in the 70's. One lad was using a 3" Pike Bung ("Gazette" float) and a perch of about 8" whacked it straight under!

Notwithsanding this - regarding Drennan floats - is the "Zeppler" the one? I'd have thought the No.1 (6g) "Piker", which is slimmer than the "Zeppler", might be a good alternative for live baiting (sort of halfway between a Zeppler and a Loafer?).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

I usually use a Loafer or Dibber but those new fangled 'Baggin wagglers' do the job well enough too. I can't say that I have ever found live-bait caught perch the slightest bit fussy around floats. Miss or drop a take and -for my money- no matter how sprightly the bait still is you would think that it has somehow had 'Danger' tattooed on it, but in the first instance they will drag a balloon under.
"No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Surely Andrew field sells some decent perch floats ... Dig deep lol
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31 2018 19:30 -
Surely Andrew field sells some decent perch floats ... Dig deep lol
You don't want the perch hanging around to admire your float mate! :laughs:
"No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Is he the guy who makes those poncey floats with feathers under the laquer? :laughs:

(Wait a minute, I'll just get my ash hoop landing net, with the flamed bamboo pole) :grin:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

John Milford wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31 2018 20:10 -
Is he the guy who makes those poncey floats with feathers under the laquer? :laughs:

(Wait a minute, I'll just get my ash hoop landing net, with the flamed bamboo pole) :grin:

Says the lure collector.. Oh the irony John lol
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31 2018 20:15 -

Lure collector and wearer of floppy hats!
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

davelumb wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31 2018 20:16 -
Stewlaws wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31 2018 20:15 -

Lure collector and wearer of floppy hats!
Nothing wrong with hats Dave.. Long as its tweed a Fedora or a Panama... Floppy just doesn't cut the mustard lol😊
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Nothing floppy about my hats. Last hat I bought was a Homburg (not for fishing, but then again if one was good enough for Alfred Jardine . . . .)
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

John Milford wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31 2018 20:33 -
Nothing floppy about my hats. Last hat I bought was a Homburg (not for fishing, but then again if one was good enough for Alfred Jardine . . . .)
Last time I saw one was on fozzy bear... But wasn't lumby up there in the wings with Neville 😊 ....statler and Waldorf
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31 2018 20:40 -
John Milford wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31 2018 20:33 -
Last time I saw one was on fozzy bear... But wasn't lumby up there in the wings with Neville 😊 ....statler and Waldorf
:rasp: