Eel

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Eel

Post by zodiac »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Oct 27 2017 08:52 -
zodiac wrote: Thu Oct 26 2017 21:44 -
I remember watching footage on 'wildlife on one'- it was narrated by the great man himself, Mr Attenborough, so it must be genuine!!- of eels crossing across fields from a landlocked pond to a nearby river, on a wet night. It was a good few years ago, 20 maybe, but it stuck in my head.
was that the one where a tawny owl was eyeing one up ?
Possibly Kev, i'd be lying if I said I remember that specifically, but that rings a bell now you mention it.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

zodiac wrote: Fri Oct 27 2017 10:36 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Oct 27 2017 08:52 -
zodiac wrote: Thu Oct 26 2017 21:44 -
I remember watching footage on 'wildlife on one'- it was narrated by the great man himself, Mr Attenborough, so it must be genuine!!- of eels crossing across fields from a landlocked pond to a nearby river, on a wet night. It was a good few years ago, 20 maybe, but it stuck in my head.
was that the one where a tawny owl was eyeing one up ?
Possibly Kev, i'd be lying if I said I remember that specifically, but that rings a bell now you mention it.
I was hoping to see some footage of it grabbing one---would have been ---er-- interesting :laughs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Lots of "Wildlife on one" on you tube. I had a quick look through but couldn't find any titles with "Eel" in.

I've had a recent interest in the species stir me and would have been interested to see this.

There's a few waters local to me that have possibilities, even more so now! I've always known about the possibility, or rumour of the ability, for them to cross land from water to water. How far and if they do habitually, or for reasons unbeknown was always a grey area to me.
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

mark salt wrote: Sun Aug 13 2017 17:09 -
There are loads of anecdotes regarding eels crossing land, but no scientific evidence. I can see that they will follow a flow of water, for example, in flood conditions when the surrounding land has an inch or so of water, or in marsh environments, but I am sceptical that they will cross dry land. Tesch carried out an experiment in which they removed eels from a stillwater and located them some 5 metres from the waters edge. The intention was to determine whether eels could find their way back to the water. In all cases the eels went off all over the place, and did not navigate back to the water, so it is unlikely that they would be able to locate watercourses across dry land. Cue someone to say they have seen this...........
I must admit it surprises me to read this. As kids we would drop them in the grass pointing away from the river to see them navigate across land, and infallibly they would immediately turn towards the water and start trying to get there.
"No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Wat Tyler wrote: Fri Oct 27 2017 18:13 -
There are loads of anecdotes regarding eels crossing land, but no scientific evidence. I can see that they will follow a flow of water, for example, in flood conditions when the surrounding land has an inch or so of water, or in marsh environments, but I am sceptical that they will cross dry land. Tesch carried out an experiment in which they removed eels from a stillwater and located them some 5 metres from the waters edge. The intention was to determine whether eels could find their way back to the water. In all cases the eels went off all over the place, and did not navigate back to the water, so it is unlikely that they would be able to locate watercourses across dry land. Cue someone to say they have seen this...........
I must admit it surprises me to read this. As kids we would drop them in the grass pointing away from the river to see them navigate across land, and infallibly they would immediately turn towards the water and start trying to get there.

Usually happens because banks run downhill to the water and the eel follows the law of gravity. I doubt that they know where the water is.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

mark salt wrote: Fri Oct 27 2017 19:00 -

Usually happens because banks run downhill to the water and the eel follows the law of gravity. I doubt that they know where the water is.
What do you look for in a potential water Mark? and how would you explain the presence of Eels in still waters good distances from waterways when they're a migratory species?

I'm not provoking a t*t for tat by the way, I'm genuinely interested in your opinions.
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Ideally I look for waters with little or no eel history. A few accidental captures are OK, but I tend to avoid waters that have been eel fished in the past. Best waters are those that have "no eels in 'ere mate" when enquiries are made; I had four eels over 6lbs from such a water. Most waters have been flooded at some time, or have irrigation ditches near to them, and this is ideal for elver ingress. Often ditches and inlets to lakes have been piped or culverted, and are not obvious. It has also been suggested that elvers can move through gravel seams. Certainly they can shoot through gravel at the bottom of a fish tank with ease, so would have no problem in moving between gravel pits. There aren't many still waters that have never had a connection to any of the above, so it is more likely that eels are present than not.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

delboy wrote: Fri Oct 27 2017 07:19 -
mark salt wrote: Wed Aug 09 2017 12:13 -
Danny's right about growth rates; they vary dramatically depending on the environment. Generally speaking, however, the eel does have a slow metabolism and growth rate. Without wishing to start a row, I would ask that you consider using smaller hooks. It is easy to deep hook an eel, and even an eel that is hooked at the back of the mouth is in danger. The major organs and blood vessels are all situated just behind the head, and sticking a size two or 4 in there is a recipe for disaster. Prior to changing exclusively to small circle hooks for eels, for the last 7 seasons I used size 6 and 8 barbless hooks for all types, and sizes, of bait, attaching baits by a very short hair to leave the hook fully exposed, and using very short hook lengths for immediate bite indication. Reducing hook size did not seem to affect results (a couple of 8s, a couple of 7s and many 6s attest to that), and it certainly reduced the damage that can occur through deep hooking. Any eels that were hooked inside the mouth were left sacked until morning, the hook length having been unclipped. In almost all cases the hook link, and often bait, were in the bottom of the sack in the morning. The use of circle hooks has reduced deephooking dramatically, and I have found that it is not necessary to leave the take for any longer than when using a conventional hook. As soon as I reach the rod I engage the bail arm, gently tighten up, and allow the fish to hook itself against the rod. Don't wait for runs to "develop". They've either got it or they haven't!
Morning boy,can you tell me what make and size and where you get them from please,
Is it a secret.
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

delboy wrote: Sat Oct 28 2017 16:06 -
Danny's right about growth rates; they vary dramatically depending on the environment. Generally speaking, however, the eel does have a slow metabolism and growth rate. Without wishing to start a row, I would ask that you consider using smaller hooks. It is easy to deep hook an eel, and even an eel that is hooked at the back of the mouth is in danger. The major organs and blood vessels are all situated just behind the head, and sticking a size two or 4 in there is a recipe for disaster. Prior to changing exclusively to small circle hooks for eels, for the last 7 seasons I used size 6 and 8 barbless hooks for all types, and sizes, of bait, attaching baits by a very short hair to leave the hook fully exposed, and using very short hook lengths for immediate bite indication. Reducing hook size did not seem to affect results (a couple of 8s, a couple of 7s and many 6s attest to that), and it certainly reduced the damage that can occur through deep hooking. Any eels that were hooked inside the mouth were left sacked until morning, the hook length having been unclipped. In almost all cases the hook link, and often bait, were in the bottom of the sack in the morning. The use of circle hooks has reduced deephooking dramatically, and I have found that it is not necessary to leave the take for any longer than when using a conventional hook. As soon as I reach the rod I engage the bail arm, gently tighten up, and allow the fish to hook itself against the rod. Don't wait for runs to "develop". They've either got it or they haven't!
Morning boy,can you tell me what make and size and where you get them from please,
Is it a secret.
Sorry Delboy-missed that one! Size 4 Mustad Demon Fine circle hooks from e bay. About the size of a conventional 6.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

mark salt wrote: Sat Oct 28 2017 12:46 -
Ideally I look for waters with little or no eel history. A few accidental captures are OK, but I tend to avoid waters that have been eel fished in the past. Best waters are those that have "no eels in 'ere mate" when enquiries are made; I had four eels over 6lbs from such a water. Most waters have been flooded at some time, or have irrigation ditches near to them, and this is ideal for elver ingress. Often ditches and inlets to lakes have been piped or culverted, and are not obvious. It has also been suggested that elvers can move through gravel seams. Certainly they can shoot through gravel at the bottom of a fish tank with ease, so would have no problem in moving between gravel pits. There aren't many still waters that have never had a connection to any of the above, so it is more likely that eels are present than not.
Thanks for that Mark :thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I've just had my local tackle dealer recommend these to me for perch fishing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322793001127?c ... 541&crdt=0

Off the sea shelf and less than half the price of coarse tackle alternatives. Available in sensible coarse fishing sizes too.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

mark salt wrote: Sat Oct 28 2017 16:34 -
Is it a secret.
Sorry Delboy-missed that one! Size 4 Mustad Demon Fine circle hooks from e bay. About the size of a conventional 6.
Thanks boy. :thumbs:
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Oct 28 2017 16:47 -

Off the sea shelf and less than half the price of coarse tackle alternatives. Available in sensible coarse fishing sizes too.
They look interesting-will buy some and have a look. I see they have an offset point. I usually bend the offset out, as it can cause deep hooking if the point section of the hook is not aligned with the shank.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

mark salt wrote: Sun Oct 29 2017 10:48 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sat Oct 28 2017 16:47 -

They look interesting-will buy some and have a look. I see they have an offset point. I usually bend the offset out, as it can cause deep hooking if the point section of the hook is not aligned with the shank.

Mark is right.
Never, ever use a circle hook that has an offset point as they are a sure way of getting a deep hooked fish.

Loads of circles available here; https://www.uk-hooks.com/category.php?selected=261

Perch, bream, roach, et al, circles work for all and every, just ensure the line comes out/off the front of the eye (hook point side).
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I thought the point (no pun intended) of circle hooks was the offset point. I thought the mechanics of the offset point were to allow the hook to "slide" out of the throat and catch on an edge, ie, the lip :shrug:
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Do any circle hook users here tie a loop for hook attachment or just tie direct,? I ask​ because a cat angler uses the former for his fishing as it imparts more hook movement/pivot point .
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Oct 29 2017 12:53 -
I thought the point (no pun intended) of circle hooks was the offset point. I thought the mechanics of the offset point were to allow the hook to "slide" out of the throat and catch on an edge, ie, the lip :shrug:

When hook manufacturers talk of offset they refer to the curve of the hook having a slight twist so that the point is out of line with the shank. This is separate to the attitude of the hook point of a circle hook. Having had a closer look at the link you posted earlier, Bob, I notice that these hooks are not true circles, as the point is far too straight.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

mark salt wrote: Sun Oct 29 2017 13:54 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sun Oct 29 2017 12:53 -

When hook manufacturers talk of offset they refer to the curve of the hook having a slight twist so that the point is out of line with the shank. This is separate to the attitude of the hook point of a circle hook. Having had a closer look at the link you posted earlier, Bob, I notice that these hooks are not true circles, as the point is far too straight.
The manufacturer does another circle pattern, the link I posted was for "mutsu" circles, they also do just a circle pattern. Not sure what the difference is!
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Nobby C wrote: Sun Oct 29 2017 13:46 -
Do any circle hook users here tie a loop for hook attachment or just tie direct,? I ask​ because a cat angler uses the former for his fishing as it imparts more hook movement/pivot point .
I prefer the hooklink material to exit the eye to the front, as it seems to help turn the hook correctly on exit. Excellent Avatar, by the way. One of my favourite Zappa albums!
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

mark salt wrote: Fri Oct 27 2017 19:00 -

The banks I'm talking about were flat. Perhaps it was just coincidence and youthful imagination though.
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

I also fish a land-locked stillwater for eels that has nil potential to flood. Unless somebody once purposefully stocked it with eels they have managed to arrive there somehow across land. I'm not sure I subscribe to the idea that they migrate with impunity across land but there is no doubt in my mind that they are able to travel across short distances if necessary.
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Wat Tyler wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 13:31 -
I also fish a land-locked stillwater for eels that has nil potential to flood. Unless somebody once purposefully stocked it with eels they have managed to arrive there somehow across land. I'm not sure I subscribe to the idea that they migrate with impunity across land but there is no doubt in my mind that they are able to travel across short distances if necessary.
Is your still water supplied by surface water only then?
As for stocking, there were certainly some illicit stocking of elvers and small eels into waters in the past. I agree with your suggestion on land travel. I like to think that in very wet conditions this might happen, but for very short distances. Elvers swim upstream against downstream current instinctively, so I can't see why they might break out across land.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Is it a secret.
Hello boy,got some of them in size 4,they look about right for eels etc but I think i will have to get some bigger ones for piking. :thumbs:
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

delboy wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 16:05 -
Is it a secret.
Hello boy,got some of them in size 4,they look about right for eels etc but I think i will have to get some bigger ones for piking. :thumbs:
I have been using VMC 2/0 circles for Pike with success.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

mark salt wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 16:27 -
delboy wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 16:05 -
Is it a secret.
I have been using VMC 2/0 circles for Pike with success.
Thanks boy
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

mark salt wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 15:58 -
As for stocking, there were certainly some illicit stocking of elvers and small eels into waters in the past. I agree with your suggestion on land travel. I like to think that in very wet conditions this might happen, but for very short distances. Elvers swim upstream against downstream current instinctively, so I can't see why they might break out across land.
There is a dyke which carries surface water perhaps twenty yards away but unless there is an underground aquifer or something other unknown to me, the eels would have to be human stocked (And I would say that is unlikely) or have traveled in some way across the dyke. Even the latter, to be absolutely truthful, would seem unlikely as the dyke is probably eight feet deep with near vertical sides and never has more than perhaps a foot of water in it.

It is the only eel water I have fished where -for me personally at least- I have reasonably convincing evidence of eels traversing dry obstacles.

It is an enigma but my take on it is that I have only seen the one badger by accident myself in many, many years of outdoor nocturnal pursuit: The oft quoted reference of doubt around eel migration across land is that nobody has ever seen or filmed the event. Given that not many if any have ever set out to film or even see the event, could the lack of any real, even anecdotal evidence of eels moving across land, not just be the 'badger factor'?
mark salt
Roach
Roach

Post by mark salt »

Wat Tyler wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 18:07 -
There is a dyke which carries surface water perhaps twenty yards away but unless there is an underground aquifer or something other unknown to me, the eels would have to be human stocked (And I would say that is unlikely) or have traveled in some way across the dyke. Even the latter, to be absolutely truthful, would seem unlikely as the dyke is probably eight feet deep with near vertical sides and never has more than perhaps a foot of water in it.

It is the only eel water I have fished where -for me personally at least- I have reasonably convincing evidence of eels traversing dry obstacles.

It is an enigma but my take on it is that I have only seen the one badger by accident myself in many, many years of outdoor nocturnal pursuit: The oft quoted reference of doubt around eel migration across land is that nobody has ever seen or filmed the event. Given that not many if any have ever set out to film or even see the event, could the lack of any real, even anecdotal evidence of eels moving across land, not just be the 'badger factor'?
Possibly a balancing pipe somewhere.
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

mark salt wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 19:37 -
Wat Tyler wrote: Sat Nov 04 2017 18:07 -

Possibly a balancing pipe somewhere.
Not impossible I guess. There are reasons why I still think it improbable, but in the interests of maintaining anonymity for the water I'll have to leave it at that.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ive been out and about at night all my life, even now into my retirement I still fish for sea trout at night, but I have never ever seen an eel moving across land at night.
Ive also fished many landlocked waters that have contained eels, some were half a mile or more from running water.

The underground aquifer is probably the best hypothesis I have heard.

For really big eels, my experience is to fish where they are not supposed to be or a big place full of snags.
Eel trappers, legal and otherwise, will set a net wherever they think they can get a good catch and get away without being noticed.
Ive pulled up nets from private lakes that were set by EA licensed trappers, but never recovered any type of eel trap from a river, which is probably the best indication of where to fish for good sized eels.

I and several others fish a place where we cannot catch an eel under 4lb but have had nothing over 5, lots of eels but not a big one - yet.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

I have heard anecdotally that some feel fishermen seed waters with small eels
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."