Freezing casters

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
seanyboy
Perch
Perch

Freezing casters

Post by seanyboy »

Never heard of this and wondered how much it affects the quality of the bait,my nearest tackle shop is a bit of a trek and I'm soon going to be starting bream/tench fishing so wondered if buying a good few pints at a time and freezing ?
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Re: Freezing casters

Post by Fish on.... »

No idea about freezing them, but depending how much you will be using you can buy them online. Here for example

https://willyworms.co.uk/products/willy ... 3150392336

Free postage over £30
Actually know as Danny..
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

seanyboy wrote: Thu Apr 12 2018 22:09 -
Never heard of this and wondered how much it affects the quality of the bait,my nearest tackle shop is a bit of a trek and I'm soon going to be starting bream/tench fishing so wondered if buying a good few pints at a time and freezing ?
they usually burst when they freeze---liquid expands, caster shells don't
so when you defrost them you have a load of yuk---which is great mixed up in your groundbait but useless as hookbaits
seanyboy
Perch
Perch

Post by seanyboy »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Apr 12 2018 22:17 -
seanyboy wrote: Thu Apr 12 2018 22:09 -
they usually burst when they freeze---liquid expands, caster shells don't
so when you defrost them you have a load of yuk---which is great mixed up in your groundbait but useless as hookbaits
Thanks for clearing that up kev🖒
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

My mate used to use milton sterilising tablets when he match fished.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Sodium metabisulphate will preserve them. Just keep changing the water and redoing the sm. All the casters will end up a lovely chestnut colour. They dead of course and after a wash in fresh water they catch. Never got much faith in them as with fresh casters though.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I freeze all my own casters and have caught 2lb Roach on 2nd season casters.

I often buy more maggots than I need and keep them in an open bucket stood in cold water on my garage floor, they last for weeks except in high summer.
As they start to turn I tip them into a screen (plastic frame from inside a salad spinner) suspended over the bucket and the casters remain behind, they get tipped into a plastic take-away box and frozen - simples.

To use just knock the box to loosen then float in cold water on the bank.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
loughouversdream
Roach
Roach

Post by loughouversdream »

I freeze all my excess castors and maggots after every session in a zip lock bag. Never had any bother
Graham Osbourne
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Graham Osbourne »

Simple chaps, put them in a maggot box or similar container and cover with water, then freeze them, Good as new when you defrost them.
catfish 1
Roach
Roach

Post by catfish 1 »

Graham Osbourne wrote: Mon Apr 16 2018 15:46 -
Simple chaps, put them in a maggot box or similar container and cover with water, then freeze them, Good as new when you defrost them.
Dead simple isn't it... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: