The bouncing apple core

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The bouncing apple core

Post by davelumb »

Whenever I have an apple with my lunch I chuck the core either on teh grass in what passes for my back lawn or into the hedge for whatever finds it to eat. Today it landed on the grass.

I happened to look out the back window a short while later to see this apple core apparently bouncing along under its own steam. I went for a closer look and there was a vole or mouse (couldn't get a good look) dragging it along. The creature was smaller than the apple core! By the time I had got my binocular the core was out of sight under some trailing leaves. I bet it had seen the jackdaw take the mouldy cheese I'd thrown out earlier and wanted the apple for itself! :laughs:

No photos or video, unfortunately, but it was fun to watch. :grin:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: The bouncing apple core

Post by Monts »

Simple pleasures Dave and as my Nan used to say "Simple pleasures are always the sweetest".
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Watching it reminded me of the time I was fishing a drain out east one winter and had dropped half a lamprey in the grass to chuck in when I was leaving. I caught sight of some movement at my feet while watching the floats and there was a bank vole dragging the lamprey away through its run in the grass. I watched the lamprey disappear. Couldnt bring myself to deprive the little bugger of it's meal - or meals given the relative size of the fish!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Slightly different and it must be over ten years ago now, we booked a stretch on the Kennet for the day as a group to fish for Grayling, Roach, and Perch. I sat down around noon to have a sandwich and a coffee. Put my sandwich down to pour my drink and looked back and a baby Stoat was trying to nick my corn beef and mustard lunch. It was not phased by me at all, when I reached for my camera it decided to mooch off. I wish I could have got a snap, it was so bold but so small. But it stays in my head and it makes me smile. The wonders of the world and look yee while life lasts and all that. :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

:grin:

Are you sure it wasn't a weasel? :suspect: :laughs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I've just googled Weasel photos and your right it was. :wink: All the years I've been in denial. :red:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

And they're so weasely identified... :coat:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Mon Jul 23 2018 18:05 -
And they're so weasely identified... :coat:
Doh, why did i not notice the ginger hair?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ron+w ... e&ie=UTF-8

Enough of this childish banter I need to water the garden. :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Just been to check and the little bugger's dragged the apple core further under cover and been feasting on it. :grin:
fishandy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fishandy »

was nodding off on a lincs drain when I had a one toner run went to the rod and tightened down line ran across drain up the bank and down a hole walked round to a bridge pulled line out of hole and there was a mink on the other end when it saw me it let go so I chucked the bait back in the drain by the time I had walked back round the bridge the bait was back down the hole so wound up and pulled bait plus mink out of hole onceagain it let go but I un hooked the bait and threw it back to the mink it needed it more than me
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

I heard something rustling about in the cabin a while ago. When i threw a penguin down at the wall where the skirting should be a wee shrew came out and dragged the thing back in behind the wall. (Penguin the biscuit with the s**t jokes)

Had this not so timorous wee beastie eating out my hands too
13661822_10154102923519584_8011175596128963756_o.jpg
No fear in this one. Id noise it up moving the food and it just grabbed it and wouldnt let go :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

fishandy wrote: Mon Jul 23 2018 21:24 -
was nodding off on a lincs drain when I had a one toner run went to the rod and tightened down line ran across drain up the bank and down a hole walked round to a bridge pulled line out of hole and there was a mink on the other end when it saw me it let go so I chucked the bait back in the drain by the time I had walked back round the bridge the bait was back down the hole so wound up and pulled bait plus mink out of hole onceagain it let go but I un hooked the bait and threw it back to the mink it needed it more than me
Andrew Croft wrote: Mon Jul 23 2018 21:36 -
I heard something rustling about in the cabin a while ago. When i threw a penguin down at the wall where the skirting should be a wee shrew came out and dragged the thing back in behind the wall. (Penguin the biscuit with the s**t jokes)

Had this not so timorous wee beastie eating out my hands too
13661822_10154102923519584_8011175596128963756_o.jpg
No fear in this one. Id noise it up moving the food and it just grabbed it and wouldnt let go :lol:
:thumbs:
colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb »

It's not like you to give anything away Dave.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

colinb wrote: Mon Jul 23 2018 22:51 -
It's not like you to give anything away Dave.
If you can find me a buyer for apple cores I'll cut you in on the deal, Colin. :thumbs:

In the mean time...

As it was going dark last night one of next doors vile cats was staking out the bush under which the apple core was. It got chased. I'd already set up my (cheap and cheerful) trail cam on the apple core.

Turns out the thief was a field mouse, but it looks like a vole paid a visit too.