Eels on lures ?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Eels on lures ?

Post by Woolley bully »

Hi all Wile out today checking out a small brook/river I decided to take a small bait casting setup with me and to cut a long story short I caught an eel on a small single hook soft plastic lure , didnโ€™t weigh it but was 2ft long and gave a real good scrap on a light rod. , never heard of eels being caught on lures before and it was in blazing sunshine ,, anybody else ever caught an eel on lures ? Sorry in advance if this has been covered before. ๐Ÿ‘
Born to fish but forced to work
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Eels on lures ?

Post by alan behenna »

Yup, on a few occasions, never in midwater, always very close to or actually bottom-bumping. Cleanly hooked up on all occasions. Biggest around 3lb's ish.

:eek:
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

alan behenna wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 05 2018 18:29 -
Yup, on a few occasions, never in midwater, always very close to or actually bottom-bumping. Cleanly hooked up on all occasions. Biggest around 3lb's ish.

I did the same , was bottom bouncing a rod length out around some large tree roots , clean hook up right in the top jaw , never noticed on otheres caught before but this eel had a beautiful blue markings towards the tail , is this typical of eels for this time of year? I have Only caught probably 10 eels In my 33 years largest was 3lb 8oz caught wile fishing for carp with hair rigged worms in probably the worst park in Birmingham at the time lol ๐Ÿ˜‚
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Woolley bully wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 05 2018 18:59 -

I did the same , was bottom bouncing a rod length out around some large tree roots , clean hook up right in the top jaw , never noticed on otheres caught before but this eel had a beautiful blue markings towards the tail , is this typical of eels for this time of year? I have Only caught probably 10 eels In my 33 years largest was 3lb 8oz caught wile fishing for carp with hair rigged worms in probably
the worst park in Birmingham
at the time lol ๐Ÿ˜‚
Villa Park?!
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

No , this place we used to go was a nightmare to fish , I stopped going there after a few times as although there were some nice fish in there the risk was a joke, people trying to kill each other with swords and knives a few pegs down is something you donโ€™t want to be apart of ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

sounds a nice place lol

Mr Ash Shaw
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

Yeah I would tell you the name of the place but donโ€™t want the pit police ๐Ÿ‘ฎโ€โ™€๏ธ On my ass ! may have changed but I think I will give it a miss lol
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

its not worth it.

fishing is supposed to be relaxing, you cant relax somewhere like that.

Mr Ash Shaw
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

spincityfan wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 05 2018 20:31 -
its not worth it.

fishing is supposed to be relaxing, you cant relax somewhere like that.
Yeah itโ€™s the only place I have fished where I spent more time looking behind me than watching the rods
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Ade Hawes had a 4-14 from memory trolling a 6" manns shad. I know of a couple of others caught on ultra light jigs

I remember a story from the anglers mail or times a few years back of a bloke getting one in the 6+ range trolling a spoon in midwater
James Dobie.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Woolley bully wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 05 2018 18:59 -

I did the same , was bottom bouncing a rod length out around some large tree roots , clean hook up right in the top jaw , never noticed on otheres caught before but this eel had a beautiful blue markings towards the tail , is this typical of eels for this time of year? I have Only caught probably 10 eels In my 33 years largest was 3lb 8oz caught wile fishing for carp with hair rigged worms in probably the worst park in Birmingham at the time lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

Can't help you with the colouring, never "deliberately" targeted the Freshwater' Eel on Lure or Bait.

Don't want' to!

Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

Itโ€™s probably normal colour for eels but I have never noticed before lol ๐Ÿ˜‚
philbrown
Perch
Perch

Post by philbrown »

Been a few big eels caught on the fly at Rutland water in mid water. Nigel savage will possibly have pictures?
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

philbrown wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 06 2018 13:18 -
Been a few big eels caught on the fly at Rutland water in mid water. Nigel savage will possibly have pictures?
Would be good to see them if there still kicking about !
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman »

I've got a series pictures on my computer of a friend with a lure caught eel every pic different because he was struggling, fighting holding it for the camera, he said it was fought harder in the boat after he landed it :laughs: That was from a 'southern' trout water trolling a plug near the bottom 7lb 6oz I think it was from memory. It was a well known and recorded event at the time.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Martin,

Was that the one caught by DF?
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Monts wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 08:20 -
Martin,

Was that the one caught by DF?
Yes Jason....I'm not sure we need to be so coy about though it was all over fishing news at the time and I think he quite liked the notoriety and sticking it too the eel fishing enthusiasts who were very envious of his monster :smile: ....I didn't see it but I was fishing there on the day catching not much.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Coy? Me? I would not have a clue how to be coy. It was actually 8.8 Martin the photo is still in the gallery. As are you old boy. I must make more of an effort to get to the monthly meetings again, but getting home late kills me.
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

philbrown wrote: โ†‘Mon Aug 06 2018 13:18 -
Can't find the only image i took of a fish around 5-6lb, we had a series of eels being caught by fly anglers for about 3/4 years on the trot, nothing for a while now though.
Biggest caught was around an estimated double figure fish!! the majority were around the above weight around 5-6lb.
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Monts wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 09:12 -
Coy? Me? I would not have a clue how to be coy. It was actually 8.8 Martin the photo is still in the gallery. As are you old boy. I must make more of an effort to get to the monthly meetings again, but getting home late kills me.
I never could be exactly sure of the weight Jason there are times when I thought it was 9lb 2oz memory issues :laughs: I need to write everything down these days.
I stopped going when Dave packed in being RO and the venue moved, prior to that I never missed did we go to the same meetings back then ? :red:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

martin godliman wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 12:13 -
I never could be exactly sure of the weight Jason there are times when I thought it was 9lb 2oz memory issues :laughs: I need to write everything down these days.
I stopped going when Dave packed in being RO and the venue moved, prior to that I never missed did we go to the same meetings back then ? :red:
Here we go.
DF.JPG
Dave has taken on the RO role again I'm led to understand. But it's been some time since I last went.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

That's the one :thumbs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

martin godliman wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 15:28 -
There are some photo's of you from wayyyyyyyy back looking very young. That I had not noticed earlier while looking online at work, I'll refrain though mate. :wink:
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Monts wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 17:55 -
There are some photo's of you from wayyyyyyyy back looking very young. That I had not noticed earlier while looking online at work, I'll refrain though mate. :wink:
Fishing photo's ? ....they must be very old I've looked this raddled for 20 years at least.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

martin godliman wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 20:24 -
Monts wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 17:55 -
Fishing photo's ? ....they must be very old I've looked this raddled for 20 years at least.
Pm mate.
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

Monts wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 15:26 -
martin godliman wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 08 2018 12:13 -
Here we go.

DF.JPG

Dave has taken on the RO role again I'm led to understand. But it's been some time since I last went.
Thatโ€™s a cracking eel , makes the one i caught look almost like a boot lace lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Monts excuse my dimness but i'm not aware of who exactly you are. i'd like to put a name to that monster eel. by the way dave kelbrick nearly had one at Deggy estimated 6lb.
Happy to be alive!!!!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Neville Fickling wrote: โ†‘Sat Aug 11 2018 15:25 -
Monts excuse my dimness but i'm not aware of who exactly you are. i'd like to put a name to that monster eel. by the way dave kelbrick nearly had one at Deggy estimated 6lb.
That is not me Nev, but Dave Fish RO for the Walton-on-Thames PAC region. My names Bond, Jason Bond. :wink:
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

I remember Dave Fish the name i'm hopeless on faces. But thanks.
Happy to be alive!!!!
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

I had an eel (2 lb ish) trolling an alphabet lure in the Lake District in the early 90's.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.