Back to basics.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Back to basics.

Post by Bob Watson »

Maggot drowning tomorrow for the first time in years, waggler and feeder rods dusted off, match box out from under the tackle shelf, maggots, hemp, liqqy bread and flake.

Stick if there's enough flow, waggler and feeder, looking forward to it!
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Back to basics.

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Been doing a bit of that myself this year, didn't fish with line any heavier than 0.2 or 6lb until July.

Been to a few places I used to fish as a kid, catching what ever comes along, I had 7 species one day, and I could almost choose what to catch next by what bait I put on.

Another day where I had to reel in to have a cuppa 😆

Having a points match with my nephew.

Striking bites, missing bites, fishing for a few hours at time, reeling in at bedtime, putting bait on the hook not a hair, using a plummet and a disgorger.

Going home with a smile because I caught a 12 oz Rudd, and not because I brought it home as a pet. Netting a 3lb bream cause I DIDNT want it to fall off. Catching a hat full and not weighing any of them.

It's been great. :thumbs:

Then I started my carp campaign and had 5 straight blanks, before the temps got silly and haven't caught a fish since beginning if June.

Yet somehow it's feels like I am proper fishing again....

Funny game this fishing.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Since I started the "specimen hunting" around about 2003 my match style gear has been pretty much redundant, a pole (maver micro crystal match) that cost a grand in 1996 with three extra top kits at £100 each has got 20 year old elastic in it. You could probably buy a better pole now for £300!

Thankfully, my stick, waggler and feeder rods are probably still better quality than a lot of modern stuff!

A mate and myself are having a mini match. I'm gonna put soap powder in his liquidised bread :veryevil:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Aug 11 2018 19:58 -
Since I started the "specimen hunting" around about 2003 my match style gear has been pretty much redundant, a pole (maver micro crystal match) that cost a grand in 1996 with three extra top kits at £100 each has got 20 year old elastic in it. You could probably buy a better pole now for £300!

Thankfully, my stick, waggler and feeder rods are probably still better quality than a lot of modern stuff!

A mate and myself are having a mini match. I'm gonna put soap powder in his liquidised bread :veryevil:
Big fan of Drennan rods for light line stuff, some of them 20 yo and still do the job the were designed for.

Mates matches are fun, caught a mate of mine fishing with two many rods, and he had the cheek to say "Better to be the only one cheating that the one that wasn't" :suspect:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Fishing for bait about 15 years ago I was getting a tad frustrated about missing bites in the small window of opportunity that often comes lust before dusk and so I wanted to improve.
As my technique improved and sharpened fishing became easier to the point I didn't need any more volunteers but I still wanted to fish for them coz I loved it.
Since then I regularly fish using small floats and fine tackle, even rang my daughter just to tell her I caught a gudgeon, her favourite fish!
So very glad I kept my old Normark and Drennan rods!
I feel so many anglers miss out on the "apprenticeship" part of angling because they are encouraged to go straight in on commercial fisheries with fixed leads and hair rigs which is a shame for their angling journey!

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Out of interest what drennan rods are you guys using, looking to invest in a new rod , can't decide to buy new or go retro
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Stewlaws wrote: Sun Aug 12 2018 09:25 -
Out of interest what drennan rods are you guys using, looking to invest in a new rod , can't decide to buy new or go retro
Original specimens in 12ft 1.25tc. That i have had since the nineties. I use with 5010 baitrunners and 0.2mm line. These are the ones that had sliding reel fittings, I rebuilt them a few years ago with dps fittings. Lovely soft action, use these for all my light line bobbin fishing, had some decent carp on them too when used as a heavy float rod.

Series 7, puddle chucker rod with interchangeable quivers. 1,2 and 3 oz. This will cope with feeders up to 3oz but is forgiving with light hooklinks. 0.14 or 0.16 mainline dependant on venue. Had big broads bream, some chunky chub and big roach on it, it's a very versatile rod, but I would prefer it in 11ft.

Series 7 tench float, 13ft, 2 piece with handle that unscrew so you end up with 6ft folded. Lovely rod, equally at home with 0.16 or 0.2 line. The folding is convenient over 3 equal pieces. I would say that the older tench float or the leader blue diamond speciement float were just as good.

Series 7 silverfish, folds as above but a lot lighter and faster auctioned. I use with 0.11 or 0.14 line, it's light to hold, and crisp, a flicking the wrist sends the float under. I haven't used it with the centrpin yet, but I would imagine a good match.

The one thing that all the Drennan have in common, is that they are a lot stronger than they look. The rod sleeve system is really good as well.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Sun Aug 12 2018 10:17 -
Original specimens in 12ft 1.25tc. That i have had since the nineties. I use with 5010 baitrunners and 0.2mm line. These are the ones that had sliding reel fittings, I rebuilt them a few years ago with dps fittings. Lovely soft action, use these for all my light line bobbin fishing, had some decent carp on them too when used as a heavy float rod.

Series 7, puddle chucker rod with interchangeable quivers. 1,2 and 3 oz. This will cope with feeders up to 3oz but is forgiving with light hooklinks. 0.14 or 0.16 mainline dependant on venue. Had big broads bream, some chunky chub and big roach on it, it's a very versatile rod, but I would prefer it in 11ft.

Series 7 tench float, 13ft, 2 piece with handle that unscrew so you end up with 6ft folded. Lovely rod, equally at home with 0.16 or 0.2 line. The folding is convenient over 3 equal pieces. I would say that the older tench float or the leader blue diamond speciement float were just as good.

Series 7 silverfish, folds as above but a lot lighter and faster auctioned. I use with 0.11 or 0.14 line, it's light to hold, and crisp, a flicking the wrist sends the float under. I haven't used it with the centrpin yet, but I would imagine a good match.

The one thing that all the Drennan have in common, is that they are a lot stronger than they look. The rod sleeve system is really good as well.

Thanks Duncan...just what I needed
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Well I enjoyed that, arrived on the river about 10.30 to find it low and gin clear, as expected, you could see the bottom in about 5'-6' of water.

Bites came straight away and my mate and myself had about 12-15lb each of mainly dace, with the odd gudgeon, chublets with just one roach and one perch to make it a mixed bag. He just pipped me to the post in our mini match, I could have had more but swapped to the feeder a few times with big baits but no bonus fish.

My stick fishing seemed to be still of a reasonable standard.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

The acolyte range is top drawer but the blanks are a little on the brittle side and do not like being knocked about.
Don't bother with the acolyte ultra range unless you're fishing for tiny fish on 12oz hooklengths.
The acolyte plus range is much more versatile, I've used my 15' rods for trotting a stick for roach and dace one day and trotting for chub and barbel the next.

Really good rods for fishing for silvers are becoming harder to find in shops, it's all power this and power that for the commercial carp knobheads.
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Agree with the delicate nature of the acolytes, while threading up my acolyte waggles rod I managed to snap the top six inches off it. No pressure was applied, I’d just pulled the line through to sort out the end tackle and heard a sharp crack! Took it back to the dealer I’d bought it from as it’d only seen water twice, he sent it back to Drennan and back came a new top section. Apparently, Drennan don’t query this sort of thing with the acolyte range as it’s a regular occurrence!

Bloody good rods though!
Bob