Climb8 waterproof jacket

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
chris_parry
Roach
Roach

Climb8 waterproof jacket

Post by chris_parry » Wed Sep 12 2018 20:31

Looks like I'm going to need a new waterproof jacket for this winter and I am considering the Climb8 Lough Conn jacket.
Anyone's views or experiences would be much appreciated - thanks. :thumbs:

Paddy_R
Perch
Perch

Re: Climb8 waterproof jacket

Post by Paddy_R » Wed Sep 12 2018 21:26

Not owned one myself but a friend has. As I said in another post:

Friend bought a Climb8 fishing jacket and bibs recently. First day it got a real test in the wet he got absolutely soaked! Inspected it later and it looked like the seams hadn't been correctly glued.

He rang Climb8 and explained the situation and she hung up the phone after hearing there was an issue! He wasn't even looking for new ones (even though he should have been entitled) but just to send them back to be correctly finished. He rang again and she hung up on him again. After that she just wouldn't answer the phone to him.
I was with him at the time and got a great laugh from his misfortune (his face when she hung up :laughs: ) but that is p**s poor service. :yours: She has already lost business from it and she has certainly put me off ever buying anything Climb8.
A wise man once said nothing

pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster » Wed Sep 12 2018 21:37

I've just bought one of these and it looks the business
https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/products/s ... rsh-jacket

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Wed Sep 12 2018 21:47

I've no idea what she's like to deal with if there's a issue, because I've never heard of anyone having a problem with any of the Climb8 stuff. I have a Conn jacket and a pair of breathable waders made from the same stuff. They're about 6 years old now. The waders are still fine but the jacket is now semi retired. It started to leave in water last year, previous to that it had been the best jacket I've ever had. To be honest I never looked after it properly and just bunged it in the washing machine with ordinary washing powder etc, if I followed the instructions it might still be fine. So, 5 years of mistreatment and neglect before it leaked, I'm not complaining and will be replacing it with the same again.

Carlperkins
Zander
Zander

Post by Carlperkins » Thu Sep 13 2018 13:07

Gone down the Army kit route
Softy jacket and goretex coat
Warm and dry and cheap
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

Jellybait
Roach
Roach

Post by Jellybait » Thu Sep 13 2018 13:18

Ive the climb8 jacket and bib and brace - The bib and brace have started to leak after 7 years and lots of abuse fresh and saltwater fishing - the jacket is great ,dry as a bone and comfortable

I did ring to recommend that they use a stronger velcro on the pockets ,as mine doesnt really stay closed anymore and tried to explain ive had other jackets /bibs and the vercro hasnt faded at all , but they took it as an offence !!and will not be using a diiferrent one .... its still s**t velcro

kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian » Thu Sep 13 2018 13:44

This company seem a right set of knobs.
They may make good gear but if they won't have it that its anything less than perfect then I'm not sure I'd buy from them.

chris_parry
Roach
Roach

Post by chris_parry » Fri Sep 14 2018 15:45

Many thanks for the input gents :thumbs:
The Pit's a great place.

brendan taaffe
Roach
Roach

Post by brendan taaffe » Fri Sep 14 2018 16:49

I was thinking of getting climb8 gear but now not so sure. The game angling clothing is designed to be out in all weathers. Protak years ago had a good name.

fisherman
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fisherman » Sun Apr 19 2020 09:27

This eBay seller selling climb 8 gear cheap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIMB-8-MENS ... 19917b5393

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Sun Apr 19 2020 09:45

Carlperkins wrote: ↑
Warm and dry and cheap

Here here dont you go telling them about softie jackets :hammer:

I was tipped off by an Iraq vet. and picked up a brand new for just over twenty, warm, they are brilliant and windproof to boot (but still made in China)
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

Carlperkins
Zander
Zander

Post by Carlperkins » Sun Apr 19 2020 09:48

They do trousers too.
I got mine of my cousin when he came back from Afghanistan πŸ‘
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Sun Apr 19 2020 10:18

They do trousers too.
I got mine of my cousin when he came back from Afghanistan πŸ‘

Cheers, I will keep a lookout :handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Sun Apr 19 2020 10:51

Warm and dry and cheap
Goretex is s**t.
I've had a few Goretex items, none were of much use against water.
You boys don't know what wet weather is.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Apr 19 2020 11:03

BillCollins wrote: ↑
Warm and dry and cheap
Goretex is s**t.
I've had two pairs Dutch Army Goretox overtrousers and they were great. I got about ten years out of each pair (bought the second pair as a back up). Only stopped wearing them because I literally wore them out.

They were made from a much heavier material than the British Army overjacket I had which was crap.

Mike J
Zander
Zander

Post by Mike J » Sun Apr 19 2020 11:05

Warm and dry and cheap
Goretex is s**t.

All my working gear was top end Gortex and Ive used it since it first appeared in the UK, nothing ever leaked until it had done 4 winters and then only at the folds.
My Gortex bib and brace by Halkon Hunt is as good as any Ive ever used and Halkon Hunt are the only UK company approved to make clothing from the genuine Gortex material.

jimmy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jimmy » Sun Apr 19 2020 11:05

Bill I’ve never been wet in my goretex stuff I use mountaineering range bergaus Mera peak jacket and salopetts and can honestly say I’ve only ever been a bit damp under the arms from throwing lures all day in a severe downpour prob due to the water trickling down my sleeves , had the same kit with me on last four 7 day trips to Ireland when we had days of torrential rain and high winds , maybe I’ve just been lucky with itπŸ‘

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Sun Apr 19 2020 11:07

davelumb wrote: ↑
Warm and dry and cheap
Goretex is s**t.
I've had two pairs Dutch Army Goretox overtrousers and they were great. I got about ten years out of each pair (bought the second pair as a back up). Only stopped wearing them because I literally wore them out.

They were made from a much heavier material than the British Army overjacket I had which was crap.
I had some Army Goretex, not Brit, could have been Dutch or Swedish, it was heavy and stiff. It was'nt much good.
Maybe it's not the clothing as much as the weather you expose it to (Irish weather).

MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford » Sun Apr 19 2020 11:16

I’ve been using one of this this past winter and it’s been spot on I paid about Β£140 for mine so this ones a good price
https://www.afarleycountryattire.co.uk/ ... gKTa_D_BwE
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Apr 19 2020 11:21

Warm and dry and cheap
Goretex is s**t.

I had some Army Goretex, not Brit, could have been Dutch or Swedish, it was heavy and stiff. It was'nt much good.
Maybe it's not the clothing as much as the weather you expose it to (Irish weather).
Just like Irish pike fight harder. :roll:

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Sun Apr 19 2020 11:30

Warm and dry and cheap
Goretex is s**t.

Just like Irish pike fight harder. :roll:
I've no idea if they do Dave, I've never caught a British pike. It's British anglers who make that claim.

Paddy_R
Perch
Perch

Post by Paddy_R » Sun Apr 19 2020 11:58

I was given a sailing jacket a while back and it's in a totally different league to any of the fishing jackets I've seen. Comfort, build quality, construction - it's just on another level. Double cuffs, storm flaps and god knows what else. Great freedom of movement. I've never had an issue with velcro before but as it was mentioned above - this has the strongest velcro I've seen.
It'll hopefully keep me dry for a few years and I know where I'll be looking when I need a new boat jacket.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Sun Apr 19 2020 12:09

Paddy_R wrote: ↑
I was given a sailing jacket a while back and it's in a totally different league to any of the fishing jackets I've seen. Comfort, build quality, construction - it's just on another level. Double cuffs, storm flaps and god knows what else. Great freedom of movement. I've never had an issue with velcro before but as it was mentioned above - this has the strongest velcro I've seen.
It'll hopefully keep me dry for a few years and I know where I'll be looking when I need a new boat jacket.
Funny that you should mention that Paddy, I've been studying some of the boating and Kayaking stuff lately as an alternative to "fishing" clothing, it's just that the colours tend to be a bit gaudy.

Carlperkins
Zander
Zander

Post by Carlperkins » Sun Apr 19 2020 12:43

I have a set of Army goretex sallopettes that I have had for years and they are great.
I have had second hand ones that are s***e as they are being sold for that reason.
Paid the extra and bought new with no issues.
Got a jacket about 3 sizes too big and never been wet in that πŸ‘

Cecil Rhodes

Paddy_R
Perch
Perch

Post by Paddy_R » Sun Apr 19 2020 13:13

Funny that you should mention that Paddy, I've been studying some of the boating and Kayaking stuff lately as an alternative to "fishing" clothing, it's just that the colours tend to be a bit gaudy.
Here's the one I was given Bill (the grey one) - https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/XM ... -4149.aspx
I'll only be wearing them on the boat and have just had them out a few times so can't give a proper review yet. But for build quality, comfort and design I'm very impressed. They're literally designed for the job I suppose. And probably for worse conditions than we'd generally experience.

Paddy_R
Perch
Perch

Post by Paddy_R » Sun Apr 19 2020 13:23

fisherman wrote: ↑
And I did say I would never buy anything from Climb8 due to my mates experience but I've just bought the Climb8 waders from that seller. Β£35 is a cracking price. Thanks for the heads up fisherman.

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Sun Apr 19 2020 13:28

Here's the one I was given Bill (the grey one) - https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/XM ... -4149.aspx
I'll only be wearing them on the boat and have just had them out a few times so can't give a proper review yet. But for build quality, comfort and design I'm very impressed. They're literally designed for the job I suppose. And probably for worse conditions than we'd generally experience.
Looks good Paddy and the price is not out of order. What size is your one ? The measurements look a bit small. My Climb8 jacket is a 4xl which is the biggest they make, I always have a bit of a struggle getting clothing and footwear that fits.

Paddy_R
Perch
Perch

Post by Paddy_R » Sun Apr 19 2020 14:08

Looks good Paddy and the price is not out of order. What size is your one ? The measurements look a bit small. My Climb8 jacket is a 4xl which is the biggest they make, I always have a bit of a struggle getting clothing and footwear that fits.
Mine are XL Bill, and I'd be an XL/XXL in coats. They fit me fine but I would never wear too many thick layers underneath them. I'm tall and could possibly do with another inch of length in them but I wear bibs so there's no issue. I didn't get to pick the size but I'd pick XL again.

As I say this model seems to have been around a long time so the technology has probably improved. And I can't stand over the durability of this coat yet but I'd definitely research sailing jackets if you need a good boat jacket. These were literally handed to me from someone who bought them on a holiday and left them hanging up for years. I do need more outings in them (god knows when) but I am impressed.

And I know what you mean about getting footwear to fit. A reviewer criticised the neoprene boots on those Climb8 waders as being "Krusty the clown size" and I thought yep, they'll do me. :laughs:

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Sun Apr 19 2020 14:27

Mine are XL Bill, and I'd be an XL/XXL in coats. They fit me fine but I would never wear too many thick layers underneath them. I'm tall and could possibly do with another inch of length in them but I wear bibs so there's no issue. I didn't get to pick the size but I'd pick XL again.

As I say this model seems to have been around a long time so the technology has probably improved. And I can't stand over the durability of this coat yet but I'd definitely research sailing jackets if you need a good boat jacket. These were literally handed to me from someone who bought them on a holiday and left them hanging up for years. I do need more outings in them (god knows when) but I am impressed.

And I know what you mean about getting footwear to fit. A reviewer criticised the neoprene boots on those Climb8 waders as being "Krusty the clown size" and I thought yep, they'll do me. :laughs:

That's why I asked about the the sizes Paddy, we met at the pike protest so I know you're quite tall. I'm not as tall as you but I suffer from a bit of a "gorilla" physique :roll: and things like chest sizes and arm length can cause problems with jackets.....and boots have always been a problem too. I have 2 pairs of muck boots size 13 which are quite a comfortable fit, but an extra pair of thick socks would see me having to invest in 14's.

chris_parry
Roach
Roach

Post by chris_parry » Sun Apr 19 2020 14:44

fisherman wrote: ↑
Thanks very much for the heads up Fisherman. I've have just bought the jacket and also the bib and brace on ebay , bargain.

I already have the very same jacket which I bought in 2018 after seeking advice on here. Couldn't resist buying a spare one at that price. I think I can say that after a period of two years, its been one of the better coats I've worn for keeping the rain out on a boat.

As soon as it arrives though, I will be taking the velcro off the pockets - I hate velcro on pockets. :neutral: