Brownie hunt 2018

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Brownie hunt 2018

Post by nigel savage »

Having a go at the Browns at Rutland at the moment the reservoirs has been in excellent form with superb browns being caught again, the biggest one so far is 8lb +.
Last year there was at least seven doubles recorded, prospects look very good again this season.
Best one for me so far is this one around 5-1/2- 6lb, also had three others around the 5lb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Brownie hunt 2018

Post by davelumb »

:thumbs:
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

:thumbs: Some fish. :grin:
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Another fine fish Mr Savage :thumbs:
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

nigel savage wrote: Mon Apr 23 2018 00:25 -
Having a go at the Browns at Rutland at the moment the reservoirs has been in excellent form with superb browns being caught again, the biggest one so far is 8lb +.
Last year there was at least seven doubles recorded, prospects look very good again this season.
Best one for me so far is this one around 5-1/2- 6lb, also had three others around the 5lb.
How do you go about targeting those Nige. Over here(ireland) trolling would be the first choice but i would guess thats not allowed for you. Just curious how you go about it?
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Hiya Gavin,

'You get certain times of the year for them, i fish fry patterns right from the start (normally associated with late season) in the assumption that what it sees before it, is probably what it's been feeding on over the winter.
A good number of these browns are returned, with a one brown limit each day in force, a fish just short of 6lb was knocked on the head last Sunday, there was a 4" perch amongst it's stomach contents.

Bank fishing,
It's a single fly (fry) fished on a substantial leader around 10/12lb + nowadays the fly is a minkie, a strip of mink tied zonker style.
Another pattern I'm onto is made from olive Icelandic sheep fibres.
Floating fry patterns, can be very exciting fishing taking a big fish off the surface, i personally use spun white deer clipped to shape, caught my biggest ever brown on one a 11lb 4oz fish.

Boat tactics.
i use the same tactics around the shallows or weed beds, over the deeper water drifting onto the weed beds i'll use an intermediate line, a few other anglers use med /fast sink lines stripped back extremely fast, most times with two flies, takes can be very aggressive!

When some of the bigger buzzer hatches occur, or when we get a decent olive hatch can be good, watching big browns sipping flies off the surface is memorable.

Somebody done an article in Trout fisherman/Trout and Salmon magazines (can't remember which?) using the above tactics on one of the big Irish lochs i think it was Corrib, and they had good sport, give it a go Gavin!

One to leave you with
harbour brown.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

B E A utifull fish them brownies, Nigel had a few nice ones myself to nearly 8 from Grafham, mate had a double, we used to fish the deep water with lure patterns on a slow drift, didnt catch many but well worth it when you did!

What the record for both reservoirs ?

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
BOBC
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by BOBC »

The Rutland record is 17lbs something. I think Grafhams is heavier still. The Rutland fish is set up behind the lodge counter.
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Brownies back on the munch again, a lot taking stock of this years perch/roach fry populations
Had this one the other day taken off the top about 20 yards out, went on a good 25 + yard run.
6-4 brownie Oct 2018 (2).jpg
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

That's a lovely fish Nigel. What is the season dates for these fish. ❓

FEROX 85 GROUP
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

nigel savage wrote: Thu May 03 2018 00:10 -
Hiya Gavin,

'You get certain times of the year for them, i fish fry patterns right from the start (normally associated with late season) in the assumption that what it sees before it, is probably what it's been feeding on over the winter.
A good number of these browns are returned, with a one brown limit each day in force, a fish just short of 6lb was knocked on the head last Sunday, there was a 4" perch amongst it's stomach contents.

Bank fishing,
It's a single fly (fry) fished on a substantial leader around 10/12lb + nowadays the fly is a minkie, a strip of mink tied zonker style.
Another pattern I'm onto is made from olive Icelandic sheep fibres.
Floating fry patterns, can be very exciting fishing taking a big fish off the surface, i personally use spun white deer clipped to shape, caught my biggest ever brown on one a 11lb 4oz fish.

Boat tactics.
i use the same tactics around the shallows or weed beds, over the deeper water drifting onto the weed beds i'll use an intermediate line, a few other anglers use med /fast sink lines stripped back extremely fast, most times with two flies, takes can be very aggressive!

When some of the bigger buzzer hatches occur, or when we get a decent olive hatch can be good, watching big browns sipping flies off the surface is memorable.

Somebody done an article in Trout fisherman/Trout and Salmon magazines (can't remember which?) using the above tactics on one of the big Irish lochs i think it was Corrib, and they had good sport, give it a go Gavin!

One to leave you with
harbour brown.JPG
Nigel the best method on Corrib requires the use of a large piece of wood. For the pike of course. sorry couldn't resist a dig at the pike (and trout) killers
Happy to be alive!!!!
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

fergie68 wrote: Fri Oct 12 2018 20:12 -
That's a lovely fish Nigel. What is the season dates for these fish. ❓
Hiya Fergie,
Hope things are good, technically the Brown trout season starts April 1st through to 31st of October,
However, all browns now stocked are triploids, but Anglian Water have maintained the season as it is, and is respected by all anglers.

You are still permitted to take one fish per day in season, that said even more fish than ever are released nowadays, any hooked in the close season must returned alive a.s.a.p. back to the water.

Check out the recently updated, Rutland fishery news face book page to see more of these specimen fish.
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

That is a impressive list of big brownies this season. All grown on in the Loch. :thumbs:
I've heard the term rudder fishing and know it was/is a technique used by they specimen hunters. Do you ever do that or is it shore fishing you prefer. ❓

FEROX 85 GROUP
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Morning Fergie,

Regarding personal use of the rudder, I have not done it for many,many years.

The origins came from Northampton, it was classed as the "Northampton style" of fishing, anglers, especially Bob Church etc, perfected the method by fixing a rudder to the transom, then turning the boat downwind they would manoeuvre the boat by adjusting the rudder following the contours of the shoreline if need be.

Then casting at right angles to the boat, (one port the other starboard) so as the various sinking lines, according to wind speed, depths etc, hit the water and started sinking, the momentum carried the boat down wind creating a big arc in the fly line.
By doing this you had the fly moving across the wind, sinking down and then around then the killing "hitting the bend" and the speeding up of the fly where a lot of following fish took hold due to the sudden change of direction were taken, a big downfall for mainly big Rutland Browns, and Rainbows.

Nowadays most rudder anglers just go up wind, cast the line out, then leave the line out the back, basically trolling,(wind powered) less effective for big fish catching more "up in the water" rainbows
it's also a very cost effective method of lost fishing tackle, with anglers laying their rods down while they have a chin wag, with many a rod being pulled over the side many times over the years!!

When Rutland opened up in 1978 there was no one brown fish limit, you could possibly take the permitted "eight fish" of browns, today, nowadays as mentioned before it's one Brown limit a day.

Fred Wagstaff and Steve Parton were fishing those days taking great bags of fish, I got to know both anglers well, Fred better than Steve, because Fred fished the bank a lot and went in the same pub in the evenings.
The pair basically were rivals to say the least, Fred told me a few stories, one where at the time he was catching a lot more fish than Steve out on the reservoir, Fred was aware of being followed by Steve's boat, he took out a large diameter drainage pipe out with him drawing his boat partners attention on the day, by plunging the pipe under the water making gestures that they could see fish!! which drew Steve's boat even closer tying to work out what thy were doing!

Another story, which was a bit cruel, was that rudder anglers used lead core shooting heads to get the fly deep, when cast out on a good day they worked a treat however, on a bad day they were a mare to cast!! if you got it wrong, you had to duck a bit sharpish with the line clattering into you back, or even wore your head, hence you wore a hat/cap or kept your hood up!
Even more annoying was your boat partner hitting you with his fly!! one of Fred's partners done this on a few occasions, so Fred played a trick one day, after a couple of times of being hit by his partners fly, the next time Fred went down in a heap screaming in agony, his mate said where have I hit you? Fred screamed "in the eye"!! let me have a look.

Fred opened his hand, what Fred had done was that he'd gone into the local butchers the day before and acquired a sheep's eye, and produced it to his mate, not nice.
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

It sounds like the sort of technique I'd probably use if I fished there. I was in Contact with a guy who had used this method and having moved to Scotland was intending on trying it on Lomond but unfortunately passed away before he got the chance.
The takes must be pretty exciting.
Love the eyeball story :laughs:

FEROX 85 GROUP