Trout book recommendation?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Slug
Chub
Chub

Trout book recommendation?

Post by Slug »

Need to get my father a couple of books for Christmas was looking at trout bums and fly fishing outside the box? Anyone got any recommendations?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Trout book recommendation?

Post by davelumb »

If he hasn't read anything by John Gierach before any of his books is worth a read. I have never fly fished but have read almost all his books.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Everything depends in money as he will probably have enough knowledge to eliminate basic how to do this and that books.

If he fancies Sea Trout fishing Steffan Jones has written Sea Trout, one of the finest books ever, buy it direct, I can PM you his details.

If he is nostalgic A Particular Lunn is a nice read. I found mine here http://www.robjents.co.uk/

The Ever Rolling Stream by Bernard Aldrich is excellent.
The River Test by Charles Bingham is another.

For a real oldie Frank Sawyers Keeper of the Stream is perhaps the finest ever written.

For a good chuckle The Accidental Angler by Charles Rangeley-Wilson is worth the money,

Hope this helps.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I've had this a number of years now and found it an interesting story, from an era long gone.

https://medlarpress.com/code/bookshop.h ... p/19289141

Or as Dave mentions nearly anything by Geirach.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
steve28fishing
Perch
Perch

Post by steve28fishing »

Prefer Haig Brown to Geirach to be honest but both very good reads.
Falkus if he's after sea trout
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey »

davelumb wrote: Tue Dec 11 2018 09:20 -
If he hasn't read anything by John Gierach before any of his books is worth a read. I have never fly fished but have read almost all his books.
+1 for Gierarch. "Death, taxes and leaky waders" is a collection of chapters from most of his books, a very good starting place. "The longest silence" by Thomas McGuane, whilst not only about trout, is a beautiful book.
You didn't come here to talk to me about button mushrooms or birds
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Fordey wrote: Fri Dec 14 2018 13:59 -
+1 for Gierarch. "Death, taxes and leaky waders" is a collection of chapters from most of his books, a very good starting place. "The longest silence" by Thomas McGuane, whilst not only about trout, is a beautiful book.
Just had a look at "The Longest Silence" via google, I'll order that cheers. :thumbs:
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Cheers guys to be honest I forgot I’d put this up and ordered them already but this thread will come in useful for future presents! :thumbs:
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

The pursuit of still water trout by Brian Clarke, very dated (1975) but a great book by a very forward thinking angler :thumbs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I finished McGunae's book today on the train home from work. Loved it, as well as fishing I felt like he was having a direct conversation with the reader. Fishing, melancholy, the places he went and where he came from. Not one to suffer fools and his description of the Rolling Stones made me laugh. Cheers for the suggestion.
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey »

Monts wrote: Fri Jan 04 2019 22:33 -
I finished McGunae's book today on the train home from work. Loved it, as well as fishing I felt like he was having a direct conversation with the reader. Fishing, melancholy, the places he went and where he came from. Not one to suffer fools and his description of the Rolling Stones made me laugh. Cheers for the suggestion.
Yep writing at it's best, so glad you enjoyed it. As the father of three sons, the last chapter, and the last couple of paragraphs, are incredibly moving.

Ian
You didn't come here to talk to me about button mushrooms or birds
steve28fishing
Perch
Perch

Post by steve28fishing »

Forgot Sidney Spencer … really good read … fishing in wild Scottish places in most of his books.
Good writer ..... feels like you are with him.
His classics don't come cheap though but not extortionate around the £40-60 mark.
steve28fishing
Perch
Perch

Post by steve28fishing »

PS .. think he also did a pike book before the war I think ... not got one myself as thought it would now be a bit dated.