Electric outboard repair

Need a recommendation or advice on fishing tackle? Ask in here
kristian
Chub
Chub

Electric outboard repair

Post by kristian » Wed Jan 09 2019 22:19

Has anyone got any experience of repairing electric outboards. I’ve got a excursion 62lb thurst engine and it’s just suddenly stopped working.

The power lights are on but there’s no one home.
I’ve taken the top part to bits and the speed controller feels a bit crunchy, especially on 1-2 reverse settings. Is there a way of testing that this could be the problem before I replace the part?

Reading up online common problems are this or the brushes. I don’t know quite how to access and check these though.

Timbo1
Roach
Roach

Re: Electric outboard repair

Post by Timbo1 » Fri Jan 11 2019 13:25

Most electric outboards are relatively simple. Power to a speed control, which is a switch and a few resistors, then the actual motor itself. My minn-kota played up recently and it was the switch (speed controller). You should be able to see if there is power coming out of the motor side of the switch for a start. I'm sure there must be youtube of how to access the motor, and brushes are relatively simple to fit (he says). a few photos might help.

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Fri Jan 11 2019 15:54

Aye switch will be goosed, Its usually always the switch on the handle. Open the actual switch if you can (screws ?) and it should be apparent whats broken.
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian » Fri Jan 11 2019 16:16

I've removed the switch but not tested it yet. It doesn't look like you can open it. There was a small cable tie on it which I've cut off but still struggling to open it.

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Fri Jan 11 2019 19:26

Ah. White switch ? Thise ones are sealed. Not sure how you could test it with a multimeter sorry.
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian » Fri Jan 11 2019 20:04

Andrew Croft wrote:
Ah. White switch ? Thise ones are sealed. Not sure how you could test it with a multimeter sorry.
Thats the one. I was thinking it would be a case of turning the switch and then having the probes on the relevant outputs?
Failing that i could just buy one of the bison ones online. They have all the same connectors and give that a try. If it still doesn't work then can always resell the part and either try the bushes or just buy a new engine.... i was thinking about it but i'm a bit skint at the mo so was trying to keep this one if possible.

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Fri Jan 11 2019 21:02

Would need power going through it while testing. Havnt got a clue which wires to test as im certain there are less wires coming off the switch than there are selectable speeds :scratch:

check the pin where the negative battery cable attaches though. Does it look out of place compared to the positive one, has it melted the plastic around the pin, is it wiggly ?

Ive fixed loads like that. Temp fix for that was heating the pin to soften the plastic scitch then tap the pin back in.

If you plan to crack it open for a look, If selecting speeds feels different than before (sticks, clicks, loose feel etc) inside the switch is a circular disk (the shaft where the handle attaches to the switch) there is a ball bearing and spring so watch out for it :giggle: under the disc is a plastic peg which moves when the disc turns (handle turned) this peg basically bridges some pins to send power down to the motor. The peg breaks, doesnt move select any speed but there is no power going to the motor.

What i think happened with that outboard was the ball bearing came out of its place, jamed the thing from turning then someones turned it too hard and broke the peg inside the switch. New peg and it worked a treat.

Sometimes though inside the switch are metal plates and with the disc turning and the pins rubbing from one pin to another it picks up plastic and coats the metal plates and pins blocking a good connection for power.

If its none of the above then down at the motor inside line can get caught up. Ive seen that stop a prop dead and it was just thin mono. If not line then insude the motor itself the braided copper wire with the bushes on the end can heat up become brittle and fray or corrode and break or get p**s poor connection.

Also seen one where the bushes that sit on the copper bit of the motor deposits a layer of something over it. dunno if you have tried it but a good way to test if the bushings are f****d is to select a speed and give it a couple of kicks and if the prop moves at all then its probably the motor (ive fixed 2 like this)

If you're not in a rush i can try see if i can find a switch that works a little bit (one or two speeds from another outboard i fixed with a new switch) to confirm if its your swith) but could be a week or two.

kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian » Fri Jan 11 2019 21:25

Cheers Andrew, I'll have a mess around with it tonight and see if I can figure it out.
The switch feels like something has changed with it. Previously it was very smooth and since its not been working it feels a little "crunchy". Its especially difficult to go from Reverse 2 to reverse 3 and back.

I'll connect up the power to the switch and see if there's any life on any of the settings.

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Sat Jan 12 2019 00:26

There are also 2 little U shaped copper bits that sit on top of the peg. Ive seen them come off the peg or not seated properly. That could be the crunching.

kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian » Wed Jan 23 2019 20:50

Andrew Croft wrote:
There are also 2 little U shaped copper bits that sit on top of the peg. Ive seen them come off the peg or not seated properly. That could be the crunching.
I've no idea how to even open the thing up!
Checked the spin on the prop in all the gears. No sign of life.

The negative pin does have some melting around it and is wobbly. I think for £20 its worth buying another and giving that a try.

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Wed Jan 23 2019 21:21

Oh the melted pin. Thats the problem for sure mate. Try my temp fix above then buy a new one.

Need to find the cause of the problem as it could happen again. A bad battery or running it till its flat and or battery terminal connectors in poor condition or coroded wiring etc. Either of those putting out too many amps and overheats at the negstive terminal on the switch. I'll try find the posts from Duncan Holmes as he explains the electrical side of it much better.

kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian » Wed Jan 23 2019 21:29

Andrew Croft wrote:
Oh the melted pin. Thats the problem for sure mate. Try my temp fix above then buy a new one.

Need to find the cause of the problem as it could happen again. A bad battery or running it till its flat and or battery terminal connectors in poor condition or coroded wiring etc. Either of those putting out too many amps and overheats at the negstive terminal on the switch. I'll try find the posts from Duncan Holmes as he explains the electrical side of it much better.
Cheers Andrew. I'll try the temp fix now while I order one. I can't find the exact one anywhere but there are a couple of different brand the with same number of pins and number of settings (5 forwards 3 backwards) so I'm guessing any of those will be comparable?

All the wiring looks in good order so i'm guessing its either a battery or running it until its flat as I know I've done that a time or two. :red:

kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian » Wed Jan 23 2019 21:39

Tried the temp fix but i couldn't get the pin back in sufficiently. It actually looks like its bubbled up on the inside now I look closer.
Anyway I cheated a bit and put the negative from the battery against the negative wire out of the controller when in one of the forward gears and it fired up right away.

So at least I know its that. :thumbs:

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Wed Jan 23 2019 21:47

What make is the outboard you have ? Bison or rhinos and daiwa switches are almost identical but im 95% two of them are not compatible with the other. One has the actual color of wire to be connected written right next to the pin. The other has nothing or might be just a number, i dont remember.

kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian » Wed Jan 23 2019 21:50

Its an excursion. It has the colour written next to the pin.