Painting Vanes for drifter floats

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
The Fatchap
Roach
Roach

Painting Vanes for drifter floats

Post by The Fatchap »

Hi there, I have just started making my own drifter floats. The only problem so far is, I've tried using milk cartons to make the vanes.
They work very well, but I've painted them with hi viz acrylic paint but when they are wet the paint lifts off. Should I use something as an undercoat? If so what?
I've also bought carbon fibre sheet will this accept acrylic paint?
Thanks for any advice.
Colin
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Re: Painting Vanes for drifter floats

Post by Cyprio »

The Fatchap wrote: Fri Jan 11 2019 22:41 -
Hi there, I have just started making my own drifter floats. The only problem so far is, I've tried using milk cartons to make the vanes.
They work very well, but I've painted them with hi viz acrylic paint but when they are wet the paint lifts off. Should I use something as an undercoat? If so what?
I've also bought carbon fibre sheet will this accept acrylic paint?
Thanks for any advice.
Colin
Hi Colin
I also used carbon for my vanes.
I applied a couple of coats of white primer first, it will boost the hi viz colour.
After applying the colour I coated with lacquer.

I used Halfords paint/primer and lacquer.

In case you haven't tried you can get a slight curve in the carbon by flexing it whilst applying heat from a hot air gun
I had pre drilled the holes for the carbon stems whilst still hot I fitted the vane to the stem so when it cooled it kept the shape I wanted. Don't heat it too much as it will blister.

Andy
Andy Carpenter
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Sections cut from flashy drink bottles.
Boiling water to shape them, very cold sets the shape.
If it blows hard and they bend a bit just double them up using an office stapler.
Cheapest available as you can find them almost anywhere and no painting required.

The best multi use primer-undercoat is Ronseal One Coat, no prep and it takes everything on top. :thumbs:

Try stems from aluminium knitting needles, they have minimal weight and can be easily flattened, drilled or reshaped and they dont break!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Dayglo gaffer tape coated in clear epoxy.

https://www.gaffatape.com/high-visibili ... fault.aspx
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Just made some carbon ones with help from guys on here. I got some waterproof reflective tape designed for cyclists to add to their bikes. I have been putting it on in stripes means I have black / orange day glo stripes. I get light reflected by the orange but also a silhouette in conditions where black is seen better. As the carbon sails are a bugger if not impossible to change it makes sense on my drifters.

K
Love the hit!
savaloy
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by savaloy »

Ive used dart flights for mine, white ones painted floro yellow & black opposite then varnished, works for me.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Make vanes out of Swan feathers and leave them white. No fuss! When they get tatty just replace them.
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

I use coloured dayglow card cut the card smaller and put 2 in the sleeve then laminate them to make them stiffer put them back in a sleeve and laminate again.

Don't forget to cut the card smaller so you can use a punch to put a hole top and bottom in the laminate so the card will not get wet then bend with hot water in to a V then a quick cool under the cold water tap.

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

davelumb wrote: Sat Jan 12 2019 12:05 -

What epoxy do you use, Dave? I'm making some drifters, figure I'll get a quicker & more consistent finish with tape...
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

JoeNickel wrote: Mon Nov 22 2021 01:19 -

What epoxy do you use, Dave? I'm making some drifters, figure I'll get a quicker & more consistent finish with tape...
I use the same epoxy I use on rods. Threadmaster.

I had some vinyl type gaffer tape a while back which wouldn't have needed varnishing. Can't remember where I got it from now. But there are waterproof tapes. Don't know how bright this orange is though. https://www.gaffatape.com/indoor-outdoo ... -duct-tape
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

davelumb wrote: Mon Nov 22 2021 09:32 -
JoeNickel wrote: Mon Nov 22 2021 01:19 -

I use the same epoxy I use on rods. Threadmaster.

I had some vinyl type gaffer tape a while back which wouldn't have needed varnishing. Can't remember where I got it from now. But there are waterproof tapes. Don't know how bright this orange is though. https://www.gaffatape.com/indoor-outdoo ... -duct-tape
Or how about this! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373657221294 ... 2682666661