Lures for getting in the weed ?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
andypee
Chub
Chub

Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by andypee »

Hi all, looking for some advice please !

I will be lure fishing a venue soon that has quite a bit of weed in a few areas, nothing so dennse you cant fish it though, I've tried with my normal lures in these areas before, but it became apparent it was just to weedy to fish them correctly as they were getting buried up in the weed as soon as they went into it.

However I'm sure the pike won't be far from these certain areas so I would like to ask advice on the weedless style lures and what make and style would be a good purchase to start with ?

I'm fishing a heavy jerk bait setup so would think lures of 4" upwards ?

If you could post pics of said lures and how they are rigged it would be much appreciated :thumbs:

I'm hoping that when a few of these lures are pulled through the weed they will get hit !! HARD :bounce:

Cheers as always :cheers:

Andy.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by Stewlaws »

Heddon moss boss.....caught well for me when I fished shaggy patches of Lillie's
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Spinnerbait
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Floating Burts and Suicks dived down to the top of/just into the weed? A lot depends on the type of weed though.
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. »

There are lots of options Andy, Spinnerbats to a point, weedless spoons, weedless jig heads (the ones with a spring wire protecting the point) etc. Take a look on You Tube at the Texas and Carolina rigs. Not used too often in the UK but as is often the case we are behind the game. Some of the wide gap hooks have lead on the gape which hangs below the, generally you need slim profile collapsable shads, the ones with the recess in the top are popular but there are also hollow (or at least not solid) shads that wil allow the shad to collapse for better hook ups..... Google these things and you will see plenty on the net.

https://www.thelurebox.co.uk/products/c ... ig-diagram

Some of the other sites have diagrams of how these things work as well....but use Google, Type in Carolina and Texas rigs and enjoy

Martin
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Steve Moore wrote: Sun Jan 06 2019 19:47 -
Spinnerbait
If the type of weed allows fishing through it, spinnerbaits would be my first choice too :thumbs:

If it's the horrible claggy stuff that gums up the blade, there isn't much that will get in there and work effectively. Even weedless soft plastics won't cut it, as it gathers on the leader connection and clip.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

+1 for spinnerbaits too. I`ve found willow blades work through weedstalks better than fatter profile blades :thumbs:
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Martin Ward P.A.C. wrote: Mon Jan 07 2019 09:08 -
There are lots of options Andy, Spinnerbats to a point, weedless spoons, weedless jig heads (the ones with a spring wire protecting the point) etc. Take a look on You Tube at the Texas and Carolina rigs. Not used too often in the UK but as is often the case we are behind the game. Some of the wide gap hooks have lead on the gape which hangs below the, generally you need slim profile collapsable shads, the ones with the recess in the top are popular but there are also hollow (or at least not solid) shads that wil allow the shad to collapse for better hook ups..... Google these things and you will see plenty on the net.

https://www.thelurebox.co.uk/products/c ... ig-diagram

Some of the other sites have diagrams of how these things work as well....but use Google, Type in Carolina and Texas rigs and enjoy

Martin
I think I will have a look on the tube as you suggest, good advice, will have a look at what the other guys have suggested aswell, hopefully be some videos on them all :thumbs:

Andy.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

On the only time I was allowed to fish a certain place I used the largest of SG ducklings over dense weed for a single summer, using the largest of the lures they didn't collect any weed unless it was loose on the surface and didnt bring me a pike either (and I tried all three colours).

In offshore trolling certain lures have a great reputation of ridding themselves of loose debris and weed and are sometimes referred to as 'weedshakers', the Braid Maruader being one, a deepish diver with a violent action compared to most pike lures, often thought about giving one a pull in somewhere weedy, like, err, chewdon?
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Watty
Roach
Roach

Post by Watty »

Get yourself some 6 inch Z-man swimmerz and EWG hooks to suit. There are weighted EWG hooks as well if you need to get down or add weight to your trace or via hook eye. These are as flexible a lure as you can get so it’s easy to drive the hook home. They are also indestructible. Pike love them.
770C271E-3C02-43DA-9E24-BBFCBD66DE20.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Watty wrote: Mon Jan 07 2019 22:40 -
Get yourself some 6 inch Z-man swimmerz and EWG hooks to suit. There are weighted EWG hooks as well if you need to get down or add weight to your trace or via hook eye. These are as flexible a lure as you can get so it’s easy to drive the hook home. They are also indestructible. Pike love them.
770C271E-3C02-43DA-9E24-BBFCBD66DE20.jpeg
Ahhh very interesting I will be looking them up :thumbs:

Andy.
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jan 07 2019 21:42 -
On the only time I was allowed to fish a certain place I used the largest of SG ducklings over dense weed for a single summer, using the largest of the lures they didn't collect any weed unless it was loose on the surface and didnt bring me a pike either (and I tried all three colours).

In offshore trolling certain lures have a great reputation of ridding themselves of loose debris and weed and are sometimes referred to as 'weedshakers', the Braid Maruader being one, a deepish diver with a violent action compared to most pike lures, often thought about giving one a pull in somewhere weedy, like, err, chewdon?
Weedshakers, see if I can find them, good info :thumbs:

So have you ever caught on the surface ducks ?

Andy.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

andypee wrote: Tue Jan 08 2019 06:42 -
Mike J wrote: Mon Jan 07 2019 21:42 -

Weedshakers, see if I can find them, good info :thumbs:

So have you ever caught on the surface ducks ?

Andy.

No, never.
But they caught me alright.
Make me an offer and you can have all three, unbitten and with their packages.

Also got some Braids if you like.

??? A softie lure a pike cannot destroy, that I must see.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Try the shallow Buster Jerks and Wolf Tails they only fish down around 12-18" and perfect for fishing over weed :thumbs:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Woodchucker wrote: Tue Jan 08 2019 10:29 -
Try the shallow Buster Jerks and Wolf Tails they only fish down around 12-18" and perfect for fishing over weed :thumbs:
Have you got any your selling I could try ? Cheap :laughs:

Andy.
spittlebug
Perch
Perch

Post by spittlebug »

Hi, Z-Man Plastics seem very very tough & Float (after salt is got out).
Nothing like a normal plastic Lure, different League.
I'm converted, only got Perch ones at moment.
Mainly Ned rig ones, but got some StreakZ Curly TailZ (4" but a angler i know gets plenty of Perch & Pike on them).

Bob
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Frogzilla, over heavy weed/pads. 100% weedless, decent size, good hook up rate and pike will come at them from good distances. Easily the best surface lure through weed that you can use. Else, weedless jigs are a decent option to hop in and out of pockets. Spinnerbaits are effective, but will get jammed up in really thick stuff. Grinders and Rad Dogs of 2oz plus are what I use. You can also rip pull baits through weed on a heavy set-up, so Burts and Big Daddies are good for that. One of my favourite lures for fishing through patchy weed, is actually an 8" straight depthraider - fished aggressively, you can really rip them through sparser weed, they don't easily get caught up and the buoyancy really helps them quickly back up in the water column. bigger Crankbaits are massively underrated lures IMO, they're not just for trolling! Personally, I don't tend to worry about getting too deep into the green stuff, rather use a lure to bring the pike out of it. I've had pike belt out of weed and charge lures down from 20 yards away - amazing to see it and one of those things that makes lure fishing such a buzz.
Piking Plonker
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

spittlebug wrote: Thu Jan 10 2019 15:23 -
Hi, Z-Man Plastics seem very very tough & Float (after salt is got out).
Nothing like a normal plastic Lure, different League.
I'm converted, only got Perch ones at moment.
Mainly Ned rig ones, but got some StreakZ Curly TailZ (4" but a angler i know gets plenty of Perch & Pike on them).

Bob
Will take a look :thumbs:

Andy.
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Jan 10 2019 22:47 -
Frogzilla, over heavy weed/pads. 100% weedless, decent size, good hook up rate and pike will come at them from good distances. Easily the best surface lure through weed that you can use. Else, weedless jigs are a decent option to hop in and out of pockets. Spinnerbaits are effective, but will get jammed up in really thick stuff. Grinders and Rad Dogs of 2oz plus are what I use. You can also rip pull baits through weed on a heavy set-up, so Burts and Big Daddies are good for that. One of my favourite lures for fishing through patchy weed, is actually an 8" straight depthraider - fished aggressively, you can really rip them through sparser weed, they don't easily get caught up and the buoyancy really helps them quickly back up in the water column. bigger Crankbaits are massively underrated lures IMO, they're not just for trolling! Personally, I don't tend to worry about getting too deep into the green stuff, rather use a lure to bring the pike out of it. I've had pike belt out of weed and charge lures down from 20 yards away - amazing to see it and one of those things that makes lure fishing such a buzz.
Good info Mark :thumbs: like the sound of trying some of those you suggest, I'm pretty sure the pike will be around the area so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something will have a go !!

Andy.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Cheers Andy. Tight lines mate!
Piking Plonker
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

MH knocked me up a couple of these recently.
MH Sniper.JPG
I've had some good sport after Christmas with them, they run shallow with a wide wobble. But on a faster retrieve, they get down a bit, stop and pause them. Twitch etc and just play about. A really good fun lure to use, I'm sure they will draw your fish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Monts wrote: Sun Jan 13 2019 17:00 -

MH Sniper.JPG

I've had some good sport after Christmas with them, they run shallow with a wide wobble. But on a faster retrieve, they get down a bit, stop and pause them. Twitch etc and just play about. A really good fun lure to use, I'm sure they will draw your fish.
They look good, what kind of price are they ? :shrug:

Andy.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

andypee wrote: Sun Jan 13 2019 17:13 -
Monts wrote: Sun Jan 13 2019 17:00 -

MH Sniper.JPG

They look good, what kind of price are they ? :shrug:

Andy.
With registered post and packaging £28.00 mate for the pair.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
CraigG
Perch
Perch

Post by CraigG »

If you're looking for a shad style bait. Check out the hidehook. Lure lounge sold them. Really good weedless lure and quite an innovative single hook design
Burt
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Burt »

Spinnerbaits are winnerbaits! Sure it was John Wilson who said that?
Sure I’m not the first but I’ve taken the muppety skirt things off of some of mine (can’t remember the name of em) and replaced em with shads. I love em and the pike down my local pit seem to like em as well and good in all but the thickest of stuff!
Definitely a dabbler when it comes to lures but these will probably be the first thing I chuck in most situations.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Burt wrote: Wed Jan 23 2019 03:59 -
Spinnerbaits are winnerbaits! Sure it was John Wilson who said that?
Sure I’m not the first but I’ve taken the muppety skirt things off of some of mine (can’t remember the name of em) and replaced em with shads. I love em and the pike down my local pit seem to like em as well and good in all but the thickest of stuff!
Definitely a dabbler when it comes to lures but these will probably be the first thing I chuck in most situations.
Agree on spinnerbaits, and with shads or grubs.

? Hookups with yours in pic, with so little hook exposed?
Peter Newman
Burt
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Burt »

Worried a bit about that myself but two out of two so far on that very one. Use the headless shads as well which obviously leaves the hook a bit further back its just that one happened to be to hand, dont think I've missed a take since using em unlike the bait rods last time out 😡
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Good advice guys :thumbs:

I will be heading to the shops soon to see what's available :thumbs:

Andy.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

andypee wrote: Tue Feb 05 2019 19:20 -
Good advice guys :thumbs:

I will be heading to the shops soon to see what's available :thumbs:

Andy.
Good luck with that - but sadly few shops offer anything like the online range - though it's better to see "in the flesh".

And I live near one of the best - Andy Lush's Friendley Fisherman in Tunbridge Wells.
Peter Newman
Bigkev
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bigkev »

Heddon mossboss is very for weedy venues , caught pike , chub and perch on mine , ordered one today in white scale there are 2versions. 10 grams and 7 grams caught on both