Warm destinations

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Warm destinations

Post by Catfish Paul »

After returning from an enjoyable but gruelling pike fish ing trip on the Bure and Broads, I'm now thinking of a warmer destination for myself and buddies.

I am not looking to target pike

Type of place i have in mind, would be something like the Azores or Canaries or Maderia. Happy with salt or freshwater
Not looking a Spanish catfish as I have done that many times...

Would like the opportunity to fish the shore/bank with either bait or lures then a day or 2 afloat after something a little more exciting

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Re: Warm destinations

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Florida keys is pretty amazing Paul. As a protected and well run fishery / wildlife park it produces some great fishing. Early may for tarpon and permit would be my recommendation.
Just research good skippers / guides. We had one for years but he retired due to ill health and then had a shocker next time. Some awesome fishing for the smaller species too if you hire kayaks, walk the sandbars throwing lures. Flights to key west from London where £400 last week when I was looking... Cheap!
Love the hit!
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

I enjoyed some nice sport in The Gambia whilst on holiday on light gear a few years ago, catch allsorts in the estuary and creeks there 👍
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

That's a cracking idea Kevin

I was in Florida, 3 years ago. Bradenton beach area.
Done some fishing off the beach catching saltwater catfish. The Americans see them as vermin
Also had some Black Tip sharks up to about 25lb. Only small but great fun. Did have a 5 foot Nurse shark off the beach too, on my cat rods!!

I also done a little pier fishing using shrimps which was great fun too. Caught a dozen different species, most contained lots of teeth!!

It did slip my mind that if you shop around, there are some great deals for Florida.
Will have a look
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The Azores have little freshwater unless you like snatching 4" trout from 45degree streams, but the lavada walking is superb. However the shore fishing is good for bream and jacks especially around the commercial pier of Ponta Delgada, outside swims everything you can imagine, but rock fishing is dangerous because of the huge swells.

The Canaries have some excellent shore fishing but it is very seasonal and targeted heavily by locals who are the ones to watch, the one-time IGFA shore caught Amberjack of 70+ was caught there.

Madeira has some good shorefishing, an English caught a record Eagle Ray from the rocks by the Funchal saltwater pool. Elsewhere it can be pretty barren as spearfishing is a popular sport and they hunt all the shorelines. Avoid the week of the Island car rally.

All of the above have charter boat operations but unless your rolling I would advise searching out a local angler and making a private arrangement. Most of the younger guys speak English well :thumbs:

When the season ends I will be in a similar situation as you and the places on my short list are; Cape Verde, Sao Tome and Principe and ....... :cool:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Hi Mike,

Great idea about Cape Verde

Have you been before?

I'm going to do some research on Cape Verde...
Looking at going beginning of April

Plan is to do a boat trip or 2 plus a little shore fishing

Has anyone fished Cape Verde? Any tips??
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Catfish Paul wrote: Mon Feb 11 2019 20:25 -
Hi Mike,

Great idea about Cape Verde

Have you been before?

I'm going to do some research on Cape Verde...
Looking at going beginning of April

Plan is to do a boat trip or 2 plus a little shore fishing

Has anyone fished Cape Verde? Any tips??

I know a fair bit about the islands because a friend asked me to help him take his boat there and establish a Charter business when it was just opening up for tourists. Didn't happen and he shipped it instead and the idea failed after a few seasons.
The game fishing has been pillaged by Russian longliners for decades but good pelagic fishing can still be found at the right times of the year.
If your into €6-800/day for a boat to yourself then I can give you a contact (my Por. friends use a couple of times each year), that way it would ensure your not treated like another over eager punter.
If you can haggle and dont mind roughing it try the locals who run Panga style outboards targeting table fish for the restaurants, just remember it would be a pre-dawn start, back at 11 and that everything will be killed.
A good friend who used the locals regularly had lot of yellowfin on Rapalas doing this, he also tangled with a biggish Tiger shark which bashed the boat up so bad the owner cut it off, my friend gave him his box of lures as compensation.

The language is Portuguese and the food local, mainly fish based, remember its in the Tropics so the sun is either hot, hotter or strictly shade batheing

If your serious PM me and can help you inc. the language.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Hi Mike

Thanks for your offer to help, much appreciated :thumbs:

The other half is currently getting quotes for Cape Verde

PM sent
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

I’m away with the family in Florida this August done the Bass fishing I really fancy a days Sport or Shark fishing Atlantic side,
Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach anyone have any recommendations?
Andy Sewell
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

If you can do the travelling I would highly recommend Gillhams fishing resort in Thailand, the wife will love it as a bonus.
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

pete webster wrote: Mon Jan 27 2020 20:20 -
If you can do the travelling I would highly recommend Gillhams fishing resort in Thailand, the wife will love it as a bonus.
Funny you should say that :thumbs:
Looking into going in 2021
Andy Sewell
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Andytheammer wrote: Mon Jan 27 2020 22:35 -
pete webster wrote: Mon Jan 27 2020 20:20 -
Funny you should say that :thumbs:
Looking into going in 2021
You will love it Andy.
paul_sheff
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by paul_sheff »

Cape Verde is an awesome place , I have caught a few different species of sharks off the beach , and maybe 15 or so different species of fish , mad trigger fish , grunts,, moray eels, dorado !! Small jack type things loads of bream. Also been spoiled once , and had 2 massive heavy gauge hooks bent straight ! Saw a guy land a 7’ lemon shark off the beach right in front of the hotel !

Can’t wait to go back
Www.billysbackbiters.co.uk
E-mail Paul_billysbackbiters.co.uk
Also find us on Facebook
Karlbird
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Karlbird »

Funny how people’s opinions vary - and I don’t say this to upset/inflame - but my experience of Cape Verde is awful! But I am aware a lot like it, and our friends go there for a ‘cheap’ holiday each year on top of a big one, but it wasn’t for us.

We stayed at Boa Vista, Riu Toureg to be precise. The accom, food and drink were awful. I have travelled extensively, both work and pleasure, by far one of the worst. The island is like the moon, there’s not a lot to do and the sea is often rough. Granted, plenty of small stuff to catch to mid-size sharks but after dark there’s a bit of trouble from locals and if the sea is tough, it’s dangerous.

Sal May be better, and Boa May have got better - this was some 5 years ago. The boat fishing organised from the hotel varied from good to great (went a few times) but I was lucky the boat wasn’t full, a few were seasick meaning I got more fishing and we caught a few fish. Azores is nicer, as are any of the Caribbean islands, maybe look at Mexico, there’s a few we’ll respected destinations to combine fishing with holidays.

If your budget stretches to £3K each, I highly recommend Panama with SFC travel. Went in 2018 and was the best 10 days of my life. Would go back tomorrow, but there’s loads of the world out there to explore.

Have a look on a forum called World Sea Fishing (WSF) - a whole area dedicated on there to worldwide fishing.
fishandy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by fishandy »

+1 for the wsf forum lots of information about warm weather venues ,my choice would be cayo coco cuba ,but since tom cook folded nobody is flying there yet,best over seas place I have been to even 10 pound tarpon from the mangrove try to pull your arms out of the sockets
Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki »

Andytheammer wrote: Sun Jan 26 2020 18:57 -
I’m away with the family in Florida this August done the Bass fishing I really fancy a days Sport or Shark fishing Atlantic side,
Your options are pretty much endless in Florida. I'm also going this august for the thirteenth time in ten years. I mention that to show you just how addictive the fishing there can be. My advice would be to order yourself a copy of the Florida Sportsmen book 'Sport Fish Of Florida' which covers 231 separate species and decide what you want to fish for. Florida Sportsmen also have an online forum where you can search for guide and location recommendations based on your chosen target species.

If you have a rental car and are prepared to travel you could bag a plethora of different species.

Freshwater as you know centers around bass fishing, but you can spin, bait fish or fly fish for all of the indigenous specie like panfish, catfish species, gar and a whole host of invasives including several cichlid species.

Saltwater, where do you even start? Lots of big game fishing for billfish down in the Keys for those with deep pockets. Lots of shark options too, then game fish and the budget party boats too. Rent a boat and fish the flats for the big four, tarpon, snook, permit and redfish etc. Or you can even just fish off one of the many fishing piers on the bridges between the islands where you can catch anything from small snapper to tarpon and shark.

The Everglades has many options. I often stay in Everglades City (which should really be called Everglades Village). You have access to freshwater fishing in the canals. You'd be amazed what you can catch roadside on the highways such as the Tamiami Trail or Alligator Alley. Then you have access to the ten thousand islands national park which is full of sharks and many game species.

Last august we fished Lake Placid a brackish lake. They'd had a lot of rain before we arrives which had reduced the salinity levels and a very long story short, my six year old watched his float disappear, lifted his rod and lifted into a seven foot alligator. The reptiles had headed south due to the reduced salinity as they normally favour freshwater. I mananged to free the hook before it diappeared. Twenty minutes later he hooked a small (30") black tip shark.... I kid you not.

So if you can, consider moving around. Check out the book and the forum I mentioned and go from there. Tight lines.
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Mynki wrote: Tue Feb 11 2020 21:49 -
Your options are pretty much endless in Florida. I'm also going this august for the thirteenth time in ten years. I mention that to show you just how addictive the fishing there can be. My advice would be to order yourself a copy of the Florida Sportsmen book 'Sport Fish Of Florida' which covers 231 separate species and decide what you want to fish for. Florida Sportsmen also have an online forum where you can search for guide and location recommendations based on your chosen target species.

If you have a rental car and are prepared to travel you could bag a plethora of different species.

Freshwater as you know centers around bass fishing, but you can spin, bait fish or fly fish for all of the indigenous specie like panfish, catfish species, gar and a whole host of invasives including several cichlid species.

Saltwater, where do you even start? Lots of big game fishing for billfish down in the Keys for those with deep pockets. Lots of shark options too, then game fish and the budget party boats too. Rent a boat and fish the flats for the big four, tarpon, snook, permit and redfish etc. Or you can even just fish off one of the many fishing piers on the bridges between the islands where you can catch anything from small snapper to tarpon and shark.

The Everglades has many options. I often stay in Everglades City (which should really be called Everglades Village). You have access to freshwater fishing in the canals. You'd be amazed what you can catch roadside on the highways such as the Tamiami Trail or Alligator Alley. Then you have access to the ten thousand islands national park which is full of sharks and many game species.

Last august we fished Lake Placid a brackish lake. They'd had a lot of rain before we arrives which had reduced the salinity levels and a very long story short, my six year old watched his float disappear, lifted his rod and lifted into a seven foot alligator. The reptiles had headed south due to the reduced salinity as they normally favour freshwater. I mananged to free the hook before it diappeared. Twenty minutes later he hooked a small (30") black tip shark.... I kid you not.

So if you can, consider moving around. Check out the book and the forum I mentioned and go from there. Tight lines.
Cheers for taking the time to write such a knowledgeable reply! :handshake:
Will have a look & give you a PM nearer the time :thumbs:
Andy Sewell
Old School Piker
Roach
Roach

Post by Old School Piker »

Have a look at Crocodile Resort, Costa Rica. A friend of mine was there last year and is still raving about it. Babs has some YouTube videos on it, and it’s well advertised on the net. Mostly Yellowfin Tuna, and Roosterfish.
Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki »

Andytheammer wrote: Wed Feb 12 2020 11:21 -
Mynki wrote: Tue Feb 11 2020 21:49 -

Cheers for taking the time to write such a knowledgeable reply! :handshake:
Will have a look & give you a PM nearer the time :thumbs:
You're welcome. Feel free to PM anytime.
Sudinim
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Sudinim »

The Keys....endless fishing for all types of budgets. Sitting in any dock, with the lightest of gear, lures are great as is simple deadbaiting.

Ive done it all, from casting of the bank, hiring my own boat or using skippers. Hiring your own boat is the way. Make sure you've got live crab and best of all, live mullet. Your laughing. Can catch 10s of species, the choice is yours for a relatively cheap day. If your unsure, book up one of the better skippers. Not cheap but there get you on any fish you want too catch depending on how strong your feeling.

Sharking in the keys is superb if you've never done it. Just heavier tackle but same as piking. seeing those big old girls moving up your chum line and sight casting to them is epic.....big fish as well sometimes.

Good luck
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Now we are out of the EU and if/when Donald does us a decent deal I will make the drive from Miami down to Key West, fish, food and a little sun.
Years back it would have been Route 66 but Im a bit to old to learn to ride a motorbike now.

But this corona has stopped me planning anything at the moment.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Crikey!

(What a thread face)
Nick McGeorge
Roach
Roach

Post by Nick McGeorge »

Did the Florida Keys a few years ago for my 50th. Did exactly what Mike J suggested and flew to Miami, hired a car and drove down to Key West :cool: . It's an awesome journey in a soft top and amazing to see the colour of the water. The choice of fishing was incredible and I ended up with 2 days out with a skipper who did everything he could to help me catch constantly over the 2 days. I chose to have a day light tackle trolling for Dorado and a day reef fishing. We smashed the Dorado and ended up with well over 20 fish in the day although nothing was much beyond 15lbs and they all go brilliantly on the light gear. Reef fishing turned up Amberjack to 40lbs :grin: (they can pull back a bit..!), snapper, Margate and a 200lb+ reef shark :afraid: which took me 2 hours to land on 30lb mono - it helped itself to a hooked up Snapper and transferred the hook to the corner of its mouth..!

Given the chance I could've stayed for weeks and done something different every day. If I get the chance to go back, I'd make sure to have a proper go for the Tarpon, have a day fishing the back country and specifically target some of the big sharks on the flats. That's not to mention the big game fishing farther off shore.

All in all it's a fishing paradise and I haven't even mentioned the night life, bars and restaurants on Duvall Street :cheers: - just make sure you leave the kids at home..! :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Nick McGeorge wrote: Tue Feb 18 2020 15:45 -
Did the Florida Keys a few years ago for my 50th. Did exactly what Mike J suggested and flew to Miami, hired a car and drove down to Key West :cool: . It's an awesome journey in a soft top and amazing to see the colour of the water. The choice of fishing was incredible and I ended up with 2 days out with a skipper who did everything he could to help me catch constantly over the 2 days. I chose to have a day light tackle trolling for Dorado and a day reef fishing. We smashed the Dorado and ended up with well over 20 fish in the day although nothing was much beyond 15lbs and they all go brilliantly on the light gear. Reef fishing turned up Amberjack to 40lbs :grin: (they can pull back a bit..!), snapper, Margate and a 200lb+ reef shark :afraid: which took me 2 hours to land on 30lb mono - it helped itself to a hooked up Snapper and transferred the hook to the corner of its mouth..!

Given the chance I could've stayed for weeks and done something different every day. If I get the chance to go back, I'd make sure to have a proper go for the Tarpon, have a day fishing the back country and specifically target some of the big sharks on the flats. That's not to mention the big game fishing farther off shore.

All in all it's a fishing paradise and I haven't even mentioned the night life, bars and restaurants on Duvall Street :cheers: - just make sure you leave the kids at home..! :thumbs:

No kids Nick.
Something about the Keys publicity makes it a dream worth trying and I know what you mean aboit water colour, if you've never seen blue water you've never lived (because it isn't actually blue)!

Did you know Dorado and White Marlin are plentiful off Portugal, I used to troll with 30lb, tagging the Whites and taking a couple of Dorado for myself or my neighbours.
Dorado skinned, filleted and simmered in fresh orange juice it is a dish to die for.

If there is one fish Id like to catch its a keeper sized Stripped Bass, now they are here maybe I could do it off my beaches (dream-on baby :grin: )!
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Might be changing my mind about Thailand 2021,
The Keys sounds like the place to go & tbf the Mrs will more than likely enjoy it more.
Andy Sewell
Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki »

Mike J wrote: Tue Feb 18 2020 11:38 -
Now we are out of the EU and if/when Donald does us a decent deal I will make the drive from Miami down to Key West, fish, food and a little sun.
Years back it would have been Route 66 but Im a bit to old to learn to ride a motorbike now.

Key West has the best nightlife. Islamorada halfway down has the best fishing with a lot more options skipper wise. The Bass Pro shop there called Worldwide Sportsman and the marina behind it is also worth a visit. So I'd do both for the drive alone let alone the fishing. Marathon ain't bad either.

If time and budget allow bear in mind that the locals make the trip to fish 10,000 Islands National Park. The fishing reports on the forum I mentioned are all well worth a read if planning a trip.

I'm back there in august and absolutely can't wait.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mynki wrote: Wed Mar 04 2020 18:23 -
Mike J wrote: Tue Feb 18 2020 11:38 -

Key West has the best nightlife. Islamorada halfway down has the best fishing with a lot more options skipper wise. The Bass Pro shop there called Worldwide Sportsman and the marina behind it is also worth a visit. So I'd do both for the drive alone let alone the fishing. Marathon ain't bad either.

If time and budget allow bear in mind that the locals make the trip to fish 10,000 Islands National Park. The fishing reports on the forum I mentioned are all well worth a read if planning a trip.

I'm back there in august and absolutely can't wait.

Thanks for that.
Ive seen more than enough offshore fishing for it to interest me much these days, its the iconic drive, the coastal scenery and Key West thats the big attractions.
Hopefully Donald will give us a good deal and make it all worth while, if C19 doesnt strangle everything this year.

:handshake:
Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki »

Sadly no deal Donald does will return us to the $2+ to the £ we used to see. Then again I can remember being a bit miffed when I visited at $1.75 to the £!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mynki wrote: Thu Mar 05 2020 14:47 -
Sadly no deal Donald does will return us to the $2+ to the £ we used to see. Then again I can remember being a bit miffed when I visited at $1.75 to the £!

I can remember when $US they were running at 2.47 > £.
Now those really 'were the days we thought they'd never end' :grin:
Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki »

Mike J wrote: Fri Mar 06 2020 08:40 -
Mynki wrote: Thu Mar 05 2020 14:47 -

I can remember when $US they were running at 2.47 > £.
Now those really 'were the days we thought they'd never end' :grin:
Ten years from now somewhere in cyberspace someone will be writing "I remember the days when it was $1.30 to £1. God it was cheap to visit the US then rather than $0.75 to £1 like it is today....."