AVA dog food

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

AVA dog food

Post by Ben »

B&E have been on this for a few months now, I think it’s excellent and is better quality than the CSJ I was giving them, get it from Pets at Home, £30 for 15kg which I am happy with, lasts me a long time as I only give them 40g of kibble with each meal, the rest is 60g chicken or mince plus 30g mashed sweet potato and broccoli
Kev Berry

Re: AVA dog food

Post by Kev Berry »

Ben wrote: Sun Feb 10 2019 18:35 -
B&E have been on this for a few months now, I think it’s excellent and is better quality than the CSJ I was giving them, get it from Pets at Home, £30 for 15kg which I am happy with, lasts me a long time as I only give them 40g of kibble with each meal, the rest is 60g chicken or mince plus 30g mashed sweet potato and broccoli
stop wasting your money on expensive crap and just feed them minced chicken carcase---that and a bit of liver every now and then and its all a dog needs---if you want to give them anything else just use terrier biscuit mixed in
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Who minces the chicken carcass because I ain’t doing that Kev 🤮
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Ben wrote: Sun Feb 10 2019 20:34 -
Who minces the chicken carcass because I ain’t doing that Kev 🤮

plenty of pet food places sell minced chicken---usually 35-45p a pound if you a bit iffy about doing it yourself. As a bonus you only get half the poo to shovel up if you feed it---that just shows how much crap is in the all in one stuff. Look on FB under RAW BARTERING---might be someone local that does it.
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

I’ll have a look, cheers Kev
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I get lamb "plucks" from the local butcher (heart, liver and lungs, all in one lump) which are sliced into chunks and frozen in portions. That takes care of the offal part of the raw diet. Lamb necks come from the same place and she has 1/3 of one of those each day. The meat element is a combo of chicken drumsticks/thighs/wings from the freezer at sainsbury's (there's probably no need, but I smash the bones with a cleaver to ensure that she doesn't swallow overly large pieces) and beef chunks/tripe from Nature's Menu.

All natural, and as Kevs says, small healthy stools, and easy to collect when you're out. I put her on complete food for a couple of days at Christmas, because my young nieces visited and I didn't like the risk of my dog eating raw chicken etc. and then coming into contact with them. The effect on her digestive system was not good - the firm offerings instantly changed to a pile of chocolate mousse that stunk to high heaven!

There are lots of ways you can go about raw feeding, Ben. This book was given to me by my dog's breeder. It's a very interesting read and great info for anyone considering raw feeding :thumbs:

https://dogsdinner2.webs.com/thedogsdinnerbook.htm
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I get these from a local independent butchers.
The right ratio of meat, chicken carcass, offal and a little veg all ready to thaw and serve.
I pay 1.20 a kg.

Lots of butchers do it, ask around.
IMG_20190213_174618709.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Daniel wrote: Wed Feb 13 2019 18:52 -
The right ratio of meat, chicken carcass, offal and a little veg all ready to thaw and serve.
I pay 1.20 a kg.

That's very competitively priced :thumbs: I'm paying £2.50 a kilo for the lamb plucks alone.

I'm not sure what the veg content is for. Like the rice, pasta, and veg that commercial foods state that they contain, it's not really what a dog's digestive system is designed to process. It might serve a purpose in making the dog fart a lot, I suppose, but not much else! :laughs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

I pay 1.20 a kg.

Right ratio? What's that then?

To be any use to a dog veg has to be pulped or part digested. They cant break down cell walls in plants/grains/ veg
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Feb 14 2019 14:26 -
I pay 1.20 a kg.

That's very competitively priced :thumbs: I'm paying £2.50 a kilo for the lamb plucks alone.

I'm not sure what the veg content is for. Like the rice, pasta, and veg that commercial foods state that they contain, it's not really what a dog's digestive system is designed to process. It might serve a purpose in making the dog fart a lot, I suppose, but not much else! :laughs:
Some people believe they need a little greenery in their diet and thats why many dogs eat grass.
There's very little in it, but I do spot the occasional bit of carrot etc, the dogs love it, so much so that they won't touch the gravy bone treats offered at the vets!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Feb 14 2019 16:40 -
I pay 1.20 a kg.

To be any use to a dog veg has to be pulped or part digested. They cant break down cell walls in plants/grains/ veg
5 parts meat on the bone or good quality mince with plenty of cartilage in it. Minced chicken carcass is good.
1 part organ meat.
1 part of either cooked veg or raw, pulped veg.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Daniel wrote: Thu Feb 14 2019 17:52 -
I pay 1.20 a kg.

5 parts meat on the bone or good quality mince with plenty of cartilage in it. Minced chicken carcass is good.
1 part organ meat.
I know people who feed just beef rib bones and a bit of tripe----dogs always in top condition
where does the 5 parts meat come from? theres certainly not 5-1 on a chicken carcase, and chicken carcase contains just about everything a dog requires
Dogs dont need the veg.
good quality mince is on the butchers shelf not in dog food, butchers dog food is what YOU don't want to eat. Unless you can get fallen beast/horse you wont get good "quality" meat
chicken carcase minced or whole with a bit of liver /tripe is all they need----lungs are just s***e.

I will be starting my frozen dog food business up again shortly if anyones interested
Chicken mince 45p lb
beef mince 55p lb
Beef chunks 60p lb
horse mince 55p lb
horse chunks 60p lb ( when available)
whole chicken carcase 1 box (approx. 25 carcases ) £6
discount for over 100lb
with oily fish/liver chucked in 5p lb extra

will be collect only till I sort out a courier with a decent rate
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Feb 14 2019 22:52 -
I pay 1.20 a kg.

1 part organ meat.
I know people who feed just beef rib bones and a bit of tripe----dogs always in top condition
where does the 5 parts meat come from? theres certainly not 5-1 on a chicken carcase, and chicken carcase contains just about everything a dog requires
Dogs dont need the veg.
good quality mince is on the butchers shelf not in dog food, butchers dog food is what YOU don't want to eat. Unless you can get fallen beast/horse you wont get good "quality" meat
chicken carcase minced or whole with a bit of liver /tripe is all they need----lungs are just s***e.

I will be starting my frozen dog food business up again shortly if anyones interested
Chicken mince 45p lb
beef mince 55p lb
Beef chunks 60p lb
horse mince 55p lb
discount for over 100lb

Read it again. It doesn't say five parts meat, it says five parts meat on the bone, not the same thing and minced chicken carcass works out at around 5.1

If you feed green tripe then you're feeding grass, greens and veg as green tripe is the stomach contents of grazing animals.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Daniel wrote: Thu Feb 14 2019 23:51 -
Kev Berry wrote: Thu Feb 14 2019 22:52 -
I pay 1.20 a kg.

1 part organ meat.
Dogs dont need the veg.

Chicken mince 45p lb
beef mince 55p lb
Beef chunks 60p lb
horse mince 55p lb
discount for over 100lb

Read it again. It doesn't say five parts meat, it says five parts meat on the bone, not the same thing and minced chicken carcass works out at around 5.1

If you feed green tripe then you're feeding grass, greens and veg as green tripe is the stomach contents of grazing animals.
green tripe is just unbleached tripe (cows stomach), no contents in it, they get emptied out and washed in the gut room.

5 parts meat on the bone means--- what then, if it isn't 5 parts meat to one part bone
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I take everything back, I'll just bow to your knowledge of everything ever and stay quiet.
I'm off to bed.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Daniel wrote: Fri Feb 15 2019 00:13 -
I take everything back, I'll just bow to your knowledge of everything ever and stay quiet.
I'm off to bed.
I'll just bow to your knowledge of everything ever

when it comes to dogs---I know what Im on about---I have a huge box with hundreds of rosettes from showing my dogs---every single one (except 2 second in class) are 1st in class, best puppy, best dog/bitch or best of breed ---all dogs bar one my own breeding---think that qualifies me to what knowledge I have of dogs
that doesn't mean everything else though :thumbs: