The Feather Thief

andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

The Feather Thief

Post by andrew_nagel »

I thoroughly enjoyed this read - genuinely couldn't put it down. Based on the theft of 299 exotic bird skins from the Natural History Museum in Tring, and sold into the modern day worldwide niche clique of Victorian salmon fly tiers. There's some interesting insights into the naturalist pioneers that 'discovered' and charted the exotic birds of paradise, and the evolutionary theory of natural selection. I'd always been lead to believe it was Darwin that pioneered this understanding, but I know differently now. It has a bit of crime-come-detective about it. And a peek into the psyche of the salmon fly enthusiasts. Lure enthusiasts will understand the parallels here. All in all a book I'd recommend.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: The Feather Thief

Post by Monts »

I've had a little look at this on Amazon and it has got good reader reviews, but one reader went to the Tring museum and they maintain they were never robbed? I'll give it a go, as with the close season looming my fishing prospects are limited to small stream Trout.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Seems they were. Maybe he was at the wrong department in Tring. There's several buildings there.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bed ... s-14352867
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

He looks like butter would not melt in his mouth.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach