Most expensive few hours fishing ever...

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Most expensive few hours fishing ever...

Post by Andy Tibbott »

I was sorting some stuff out on Saturday for a few hours fishing on Sunday. My springer sniffed out a 1.5oz grip lead that had a small piece of paste stuck to it that was laying in my multi-mat and swallowed it...

I took her straight to vets and they kept her in. They tried making her sick but that didn't work, tried getting it out with and endoscope and that didn't work so on Sunday she was operated on. I picked her up this morning. I'm now £550.00 lighter after paying the excess on a £2,500 vet bill. She's ok, that's the main thing.

Dogs, don't you just love 'em.
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Most expensive few hours fishing ever...

Post by Andytheammer »

Andy Tibbott wrote: Mon Mar 11 2019 17:54 -
I was sorting some stuff out on Saturday for a few hours fishing on Sunday. My springer sniffed out a 1.5oz grip lead that had a small piece of paste stuck to it that was laying in my multi-mat and swallowed it...

I took her straight to vets and they kept her in. They tried making her sick but that didn't work, tried getting it out with and endoscope and that didn't work so on Sunday she was operated on. I picked her up this morning. I'm now £550.00 lighter after paying the excess on a £2,500 vet bill. She's ok, that's the main thing.

Ouch!
Andy Sewell
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Mine got a treble in his nose at 10 o clock one Sunday night a few weeks ago, had to be sedated by the vet to get it out , cost me a few hundred before the insurance paid back most of it other than The ninety quid excess , also the joy of sitting there until two in the morning then getting up at half five didn’t cheer me up much!
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Ouch, reading both those certainly made me wince a bit........
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Good to hear your dog has escaped relatively unscathed.

Years back I had a dog snitch a rigged bait from under my seat.
I went after the dog and found the owner but the dog had already swallowed it right down.
I later learnt the dog had died.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Tibbott »

Mike J wrote: Tue Mar 12 2019 10:34 -
Good to hear your dog has escaped relatively unscathed.

Years back I had a dog snitch a rigged bait from under my seat.
I went after the dog and found the owner but the dog had already swallowed it right down.
I later learnt the dog had died.
I was telling the bailiff on Sunday what had happened and he told me of a very similar story to yours that he witnessed a few weeks ago. A Piker had rigged up a sardine and it was on his unhooking mat ready to be clipped on. A dog ran over and snaffled the bait and swallowed it whole, trebles and all. The dog walker apparently blamed the angler for leaving his baited hooks laying around.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

My lab nicked a bait as we were unhooking a pike. Only saw it when the rod started moving. We pinned him down and I pulled the trebles from his tongue, got them out and the lab went to pick the bait up again!!!
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

I would have let it try s**t it out first mate.
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Tibbott »

pete webster wrote: Thu Mar 14 2019 21:42 -

Believe me I did think of leaving it to see if that would happen but the vet said it was too big to pass through her guts without the risk of causing damage. As it happens the weight didn't move from her stomach, it was too heavy to get into her intestines.
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

Andy Tibbott wrote: Fri Mar 15 2019 08:51 -
pete webster wrote: Thu Mar 14 2019 21:42 -

Believe me I did think of leaving it to see if that would happen but the vet said it was too big to pass through her guts without the risk of causing damage. As it happens the weight didn't move from her stomach, it was too heavy to get into her intestines.
:thumbs:
brendan taaffe
Perch
Perch

Post by brendan taaffe »

Glad to hear your dog is on the mend Andy.

I was packing up after a days piking when a dog appeared out of nowhere and jumped into the boot of my car! I was breaking down a rod and taking off the bait at the time. The dog grabbed the smelt complete with two trebles! But luckily had not swallowed it. Surprisingly, the dog opened its mouth when I held its collar and put my other hand in to remove the bait before it. It released the bait thankfully and it was with great relief I lifted the dog out! It was a good ten minutes before the dog owner came. A little old lady! I was ready to give out but I bit my tongue. I did however tell her what happened, but I felt it went over her head. It could have finished very badly.
Brendan Taaffe.