Bankside food

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Bankside food

Post by Duncan Holmes »

I have a couple of week long French crping trips booked this year. I only really do drive and survive trips, which obviously means storing and cooking food on the back.

Wondered what clever food ideas people have come up with for that style of camping/fishing?
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Bankside food

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Uncle Bens rice I like the golden vegetable with a tin of tuna steak stirred in, all ready in about 5 mins.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Take some fresh veg and spuds, eggs, powdered/long life milk, a big cool box full of ice/blocks with fresh meat/bacon sausage in, rice, tinned meat etc

live off the fresh stuff for a couple of days---then go onto the rice/spuds tinned stuff
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Microwave savoury rice, fried with a little water, onion and chorizo. Long shelf life, no refrigeration needed.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Jack Links Beef Jerky Original in big bags.
All you need is a drink, nuts and fruit.
Its healthy, none fattening, quick and clean, good enough for olympic athletes so good enough for a sedentary part time carper.

Then finish early and raid the nearest eatery before the ferry home or if your doing the Caen route the onboard restaurant is superb (have the Breton curry) :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

I'm doing a few days or it's warmer, I freeze food if I can, home made soup and curry etc, and take it frozen, then its a day or 2 before it thaws and you have to worry about keeping it fresh, makes it all last a couple of days longer.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

I’d want nice food for a trip like that so I’d take homemade stews in sistema click boxes with bacon/sausage/steak etc from my butcher that I’d vacuum seal myself, I’d store it all in my Dometic cool box which runs of 240v, 12v and gas canisters
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Tue Mar 26 2019 22:58 -
Uncle Bens rice I like the golden vegetable with a tin of tuna steak stirred in, all ready in about 5 mins.
I find the Tilda rice range much nicer than Uncle Bens, the mushroom and firecracker varieties are particularly good.

I also like the Tilda pulses. Their edamame, spring onion and wasabi is good

If I really wanted shelf life stuff with no refrigeration the “look what we’ve found” range is difficult to beat
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Pot noodles
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

I’ll give the Tilda a go Ben. delboy - pot noodles you Heathen ! To be honest the oll pot noodles can be a good back up when away but don’t live on them.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Ben wrote: Wed Mar 27 2019 16:40 -
I’d want nice food for a trip like that so I’d take homemade stews in sistema click boxes with bacon/sausage/steak etc from my butcher that I’d vacuum seal myself, I’d store it all in my Dometic cool box which runs of 240v, 12v and gas canisters
:thumbs:
I regularly do 3-4 day sessions afloat. Make up some gumbo, beef, chicken stew, bit of chilli and spag boll. Freeze them and then put them in ya coolbox frozen. You can then store your fresh ingredients with the frozen food. If you haven't got one of those all singing and dancing Dometic cool boxes, everything should last a good 5 days, if you just take out what you need when you plan to cook.
I'll also make up a bunch of individual low fat quiches (no pastry), just mix your egg and whatever veg, bacon and cheese up. Then pour into a muffin tin....bingo 12 individual healthy quiches... :thumbs:
Ive always got some Tilda rice, cous cous and various pastas in the larder on the boat, and if I fancy veg I bring them in a separate cool box. :grin:
cooky
Roach
Roach

Post by cooky »

tinned curry i tried the tesco one the other week and tbh it was very nice i was amazed also tinned chilli,soups hot dogs,spam for frying the list is endless
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

The tesco curries are decent we have them with uncle Ben's and poppadoms.
Asda have a good selection on pakora, samosa etc to go with them.

The look what we found range has become pretty difficult to find up here. :scratch:
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

How ironic that the “look what we’ve found” range has become difficult to find
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Fri Mar 29 2019 18:16 -
Ben wrote: Wed Mar 27 2019 16:40 -
:thumbs:
I regularly do 3-4 day sessions afloat. Make up some gumbo, beef, chicken stew, bit of chilli and spag boll. Freeze them and then put them in ya coolbox frozen. You can then store your fresh ingredients with the frozen food. If you haven't got one of those all singing and dancing Dometic cool boxes, everything should last a good 5 days, if you just take out what you need when you plan to cook.
I'll also make up a bunch of individual low fat quiches (no pastry), just mix your egg and whatever veg, bacon and cheese up. Then pour into a muffin tin....bingo 12 individual healthy quiches... :thumbs:
Ive always got some Tilda rice, cous cous and various pastas in the larder on the boat, and if I fancy veg I bring them in a separate cool box. :grin:
:thumbs: great idea about the low fat quiches
Andy Sewell
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

fergie68 wrote: Fri Mar 29 2019 22:54 -
The look what we found range has become pretty difficult to find up here. :scratch:
They used to be readily available online!
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Tue Mar 26 2019 22:32 -
I have a couple of week long French crping trips booked this year. I only really do drive and survive trips, which obviously means storing and cooking food on the back.

Wondered what clever food ideas people have come up with for that style of camping/fishing?
Duncan if your dates don’t clash with mine you can use my fridge. :thumbs:
It runs of mains/12v and gas.
We take steaks,pork,lamb, chicken breasts etc sausages bacon etc live like kings for a week. New potatoes fresh veg.
Will keep food perfect even in plus 30’c temps for the full week.
Andy Carpenter
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Thanks for the replies gents,

I've got pretty slick at this over the years, but always good to get some new ideas.

I take an icey tek cooler, which pre-chilled and managed properly keeps stuff good all week with the minimum of ice swaps. I freeze all fresh meat down (except steaks) and take a few home cooked "sauce" dishes frozen down.

These days its a fry up every other day, with porridge on the other days.

I take flour tortillas instead of bread, as they don't crush and stay fresh longer, only tinned stuff is sweetcorn, beans and tuna. The later is mixed with pasta and onion as a snack, but I like the rice idea suggested.

I will give Karl's idea of the quiches a try, snacks are usually the hard bit.

I used to like the "look what we found" range, great on shorter sessions too, but like others have found them impossible to pick up locally.

Delboy, this is a FOOD forum, pot noodle indeed. :afraid: :afraid: :grin:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Cyprio wrote: Mon Apr 01 2019 12:04 -
Duncan Holmes wrote: Tue Mar 26 2019 22:32 -

Duncan if your dates don’t clash with mine you can use my fridge. :thumbs:
It runs of mains/12v and gas.
We take steaks,pork,lamb, chicken breasts etc sausages bacon etc live like kings for a week. New potatoes fresh veg.
Will keep food perfect even in plus 30’c temps for the full week.
Cheers Andy, I'll let you know. :thumbs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Not sure what to make of this?

https://youtu.be/A7wDHzXuu48

:scratch:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Monts wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 18:48 -

He's a bit overdressed, the jacket is not very camo!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Mattjb wrote: Thu Oct 17 2019 20:18 -

He's a bit overdressed, the jacket is not very camo!
When he sat down at the end, I thought WTF.
FN19
Roach
Roach

Post by FN19 »

plenty of rolls lots of square sausage and a grill box from my local takeaway for the 1st night reheated over an open fire yum yum
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Just tried a Wayfayrer boil in the bag meal. I tried the Chicken Tikka & Rice and it tasted pretty dam good with a fair amount of Chicken in it. £4.00ea.
Takes 5-7 mins simmering on a stove, ok for on the Coleman multi with Petrol but it would be a little expensive to heat on a small gas stove.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Jason you could invite him over, see if he can cook up a Thames Pike on par with a EE ! He looks well dapper though !
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Fri Oct 18 2019 17:04 -

Jason you could invite him over, see if he can cook up a Thames Pike on par with a EE ! He looks well dapper though !
He is a Japanese version of JC. :laughs:
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

for a quick hot snack, 3 minute noodles with a packet of cuppasoup stirred in.

For heating up frozen/cold meals have a large saucepan/stock pot with a trivet. put your meal in a bowl with a lid add an inch of water and steam. You do not get any burnt/sticking food.