Mono or Braid

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
The Fatchap
Roach
Roach

Mono or Braid

Post by The Fatchap »

I've just joined a new lake for the cats, reading the rules I noticed that maximum main line allowed was 20lb bs. With cats in the lake up to 85lbs this seems a tad undergunned. If I can't by pass the rule would more experienced catters choose mono over braid. I suspect that 20lb braid would be less forgiving than stretchy mono. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Colin (The Fatchap)
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Mono or Braid

Post by pete webster »

20lb mono would be ok I reckon, you will never break 20lb line through a bent rod, more likely the rod would explode first, I have had cats to 50+ while using 18lb mono, I honestly could not tighten the clutch tight enough to prevent it from giving line.
20lb braid would be of no use at all, you would probably snap on the take.
Pete
The Fatchap
Roach
Roach

Post by The Fatchap »

Thanks Pete.
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Agreed, mono.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Lake I fish has cats to fifty ish , been ok on 20lb mono, depends on the snag situation I guess👍
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I'd use the highest diameter "20lb" mono I could find, as it will be the most underrated for its 'declared' B.S. :wink:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

The only time I want more than "15lb" 0.37mm would be for abrasion resistance.

I am never going to pull a genuine 15lb with a bent rod.

I fished for 40lb range cats with 0.35 fluorocarbon, one had me around a scaffold on pole from an old swim front. I landed the fish despite some serious line grating on the pole .

You might want to also consider BIG hooks, I found a big hook tends to catch in the edge of the mouth and keeps hook length outside the mouth. Keeps it away from the pads and reduces tearing to the side of the mouth.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

20lb mono should be fine
I’ve never had a problem, and that’s whats on my spools.
But the waters I fish have very little in the snag department.
Regards
Tom
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

It would have to be mono, a good reliable 20lb mono is unlikely to break unless you are actually pulling for a break. 20lb braid is for light lure fishing etc..
Marcraft are for queers.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

I would agree with everyone else, definitely mono

Not teaching you to suck eggs here, but always check the mono has no nicks in it. If there is any slight weakness in your line, knots etc a cat will find it.
I check my mono on every cast.

If you ever use braid for cats, probably on a different venue, always use tubing or a leader. Braid can cut a cat when under tension..cats have a habit of slapping the line with their tales, this is where they get cut.

Enjoy your cat season