Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Getting a few bits ready in prep for next season and looking at some bigger lures for my new heavier set up.
My best pattern BY FAR last season was firetiger and natural Perch so I was looking for a big perch soft lure around 90–100g. The main 2 (in my price range) are the Fox Rage Replicant Perch Lure 18cm 95g, or the Savage Gear 4D Shad Lure a bit smaller at 18.5cm and 75g.
The Fox is the cheaper outta the 2 (only by a couple squid) and I’ve had a good bit of success using their 50g replicant wobble lures last season but was wondering if there are any views on which Is superior outta the fix and SG ?!?
Cheers.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Savage gear or Fox Rage ???

Post by Steve Dennington »

Ready rigged baits are okay if they work at the speed and depth that you want them to.

My vote is for the SG shads, combined with their corkscrew heads (in various weights), rigged with a pair of trebles. Much more adaptable, with a superb hook-up ratio, and cheaper to replace when they get chewed up too :thumbs:
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

None of the above....Get yourself some pig shads, Westin shads, svartzonker etc.
Much more versatile when rigged yourself.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Got some nice Rapala's coming soon---blagged one of the rep when he came round, hard body, soft (replacable) tail about 9 inch long---forgot what its called. Will put a pic up tomorrow
Harper
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Harper »

I like the sg and the westin Percy the perch. Not a big fan the replicant range. The sg line thru roach worked best for me last season in gold and natural patters
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri May 03 2019 20:39 -
Got some nice Rapala's coming soon---blagged one of the rep when he came round, hard body, soft (replacable) tail about 9 inch long---forgot what its called. Will put a pic up tomorrow
That'll be the peto.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Daniel wrote: Fri May 03 2019 21:18 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri May 03 2019 20:39 -
That'll be the peto.
Good lures had them last season, caught trolling on
he river with them.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Harper wrote: Fri May 03 2019 21:01 -
I like the sg and the westin Percy the perch. Not a big fan the replicant range. The sg line thru roach worked best for me last season in gold and natural patters
Been having a few chats with a Latvian guy that comes in the shop---good lure angler
he has been doing very well with "Mike the Pike" from Westin---the big one especially. Told me he had a mahoosive pike on last week that broke his line at the net, lost the lure as well. Whether the pike manages to shake it out or not remains to be seen.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Cheers for the reply’s lads, gonna have look at the Westin range and Rapalas. I have looked at the Westin Hollow Teez before, they look like a good idea with the hole for foam or scent. The others are quite a bit more costly aren’t they ?!?
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Harper
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Harper »

Kev Berry wrote: Sat May 04 2019 00:24 -
Harper wrote: Fri May 03 2019 21:01 -
Been having a few chats with a Latvian guy that comes in the shop---good lure angler
he has been doing very well with "Mike the Pike" from Westin---the big one especially. Told me he had a mahoosive pike on last week that broke his line at the net, lost the lure as well. Whether the pike manages to shake it out or not remains to be seen.
I haven’t trued “mike the pike” yet.
But I do like the line thru system from sg for that reason much harder to shake out and easier to unhook with out the lure in the way