If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Rudd.......

Post by Flipflopjoe »

..........on a Mepps :scratch:
0F00EC3F-4D54-4462-ACB2-710554E471DA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Re: Rudd.......

Post by dropped_run »

rudd are brilliant targets on lures. So aggressive. Scale the gear down and you can catch them almost as quickly as perch at times. Great fun sight fishing to the bigger ones
James Dobie.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I wasn’t aware they took lures! I am now obviously !
I’ll be targeting them again coz as you say, the take was pretty awesome considering the size of the fish !

I also had a decent sized mirror carp make a run at a little paddle tail jelly I had on !
That would have been fun on my little 5-10g rod :eek:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

The biggest I've managed is 2lb-1 a few summers back.

We found fishing tiny little grubs with a 0.4g tungsten bead to be about the best way, just have the bead free running on the line and it would sink slowly. Obviously its quite hard work on anything except proper ultralight gear but its definitely doable.

You get a few surprises doing it. Roach hit really hard, and so do bleak!
James Dobie.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

dropped_run wrote: Tue May 14 2019 14:36 -

We found fishing tiny little grubs with a 0.4g tungsten bead to be about the best way, just have the bead free running on the line and it would sink slowly. Obviously its quite hard work on anything except proper ultralight gear but its definitely doable.

Any recommendations on grubs James?
I'm not sure I have anything small enough, but I do have a river with some nice Rudd in it!
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Daniel wrote: Tue May 14 2019 18:40 -

I'm not sure I have anything small enough, but I do have a river with some nice Rudd in it!
Crazy fish whitebait are quite good. Tiny little things but everything sucks them in. They are like a maggot with a little tail. You get 20 in a multi coloured pack as well which is handy as colour made a difference. Put red on and you're guaranteed millions of perch no matter what. Roach definitely preferred lime green. White is quite a good colour.

Big bite ballsy worms as well if they are happy taking slightly "bigger" stuff.

AGM have such a selection on there it's a job to know where to start. Presentation always beat lure style. As slow a fall as possible (have a Google for tungsten beads plus for weights).

Gear wise I was using a 0.7 to 7g rod which was OK for it. Obviously with teeny weights on you're never going to be casting miles anyway

I think I managed 8 species one session, without a pike or a zander amongst them. Trundle along the bottom and gudgeon go barmy for it
James Dobie.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

dropped_run wrote: Tue May 14 2019 19:28 -

Crazy fish whitebait are quite good. Tiny little things but everything sucks them in. They are like a maggot with a little tail. You get 20 in a multi coloured pack as well which is handy as colour made a difference. Put red on and you're guaranteed millions of perch no matter what. Roach definitely preferred lime green. White is quite a good colour.

AGM have such a selection on there it's a job to know where to start. Presentation always beat lure style. As slow a fall as possible (have a Google for tungsten beads plus for weights).

Gear wise I was using a 0.7 to 7g rod which was OK for it. Obviously with teeny weights on you're never going to be casting miles anyway

I think I managed 8 species one session, without a pike or a zander amongst them. Trundle along the bottom and gudgeon go barmy for it
I knew you were going to say agm, it'll have to wait until I need other stuff.
Going on that site without a fixed idea of what I want ends up costing me a fortune as I browse around just chucking stuff in the basket!!
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Daniel wrote: Tue May 14 2019 20:00 -

Going on that site without a fixed idea of what I want ends up costing me a fortune as I browse around just chucking stuff in the basket!!

I'll have a look when I get home tomorrow. Im sure I've got a load of bits somewhere (midst of the dreaded decorating).
I'll see what I can put together and send you a load of stuff. I sold all my light rods etc but I must have some lures/weights left somewhere.
James Dobie.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

dropped_run wrote: Tue May 14 2019 20:58 -
Daniel wrote: Tue May 14 2019 20:00 -

I'll have a look when I get home tomorrow. Im sure I've got a load of bits somewhere (midst of the dreaded decorating).
I'll see what I can put together and send you a load of stuff. I sold all my light rods etc but I must have some lures/weights left somewhere.
That'd be great but no worries if you can't find anything, I'm sure it won't be long before I think of a reason why I need another crankbait and just happen to throw some tiny stuff in the basket to make it worthwhile on the postage :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

For a bit of summer fun try using a fly, something small and fluffy in the tip and a beaded nymph on a dropper.
Ive also caught them by fishing a tiny 16 or 18 pheasant tail nymph on a pat rig while fishing a corn, maggot or bread on the bottom hook.
Ive also tried floating bread with a cotton bud as bait, sometimes its crazy, on others you'd think the place was empty.
Apart from Rudd all Ive tangled with are a few carp, but never managed to land any!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Fordey
Perch
Perch

Post by Fordey »

Don't think it's a pure rudd, more likely rudd/roach hybrid.. Bream are also quite predatory at this time of year, had them on 7" spoons, and big plugs!
You didn't come here to talk to me about button mushrooms or birds
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Not enough rays in the a**l fin to be a bream Rudd hybrid
Happy to be alive!!!!
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

You obviously cannot say an. Al On here
Happy to be alive!!!!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Forgot all about this beauty from last year, taken on one of my homemade 2" toads.
Screenshot_20190516-180719.png
Screenshot_20190516-180957.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Fatchap
Roach
Roach

Post by The Fatchap »

Beware of the very predatory Amber Rudd.