Terrapin

For the Twitchers amongst us
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Terrapin

Post by martin godliman »

Saw this beast today basking in the sun on a log whilst I was walking along the canal, I reckon it was at least 9/10 inches front to back of the shell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
wid
Roach
Roach

Re: Terrapin

Post by wid »

Used to fish a very secluded large lake here in Cheshire and the place had loads of them in it, they used to bask on an island, never seen them anywhere else
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I caught this one on a deadbait when I was eel fishing four years ago. Nasty snapping creature.

John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I caught a red-eared slider on float fished maggot years ago from a Kent lake. About the size of a meat pie, only crustier! :laughs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman »

I have seen them before very occasionally I wonder how they survive so well considering our winters they must all be released/dumped by people who don't want them anymore.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Take care if you catch a terrapin, they all carry salmonella, for unhooking use a length of 4x2.
If they are on your water dont let them remain as they are not indigenous and their diet includes fish and fish eggs, a Winchester Subsonic will greatly assist their removal.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Thu May 16 2019 09:21 -
Take care if you catch a terrapin, they all carry salmonella, for unhooking use a length of 4x2.
If they are on your water dont let them remain as they are not indigenous and their diet includes fish and fish eggs, a Winchester Subsonic will greatly assist their removal.
The one I caught was actually foulhooked in a front foot. It was in full snapping mode so I unhooked it with a size ten on its back and returned it using the same implement. I realised I should have 'humanely despatched' it when it was too late.