Gloves for Pike

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
J-P
Roach
Roach

Gloves for Pike

Post by J-P »

I'm putting a list of stuff to buy for July when I start fishing. Would gloves for Pike be recommended and if so any recommendations? I notice that most don't seem to bother on youtube and that cuts are just a way of life.

I've been eyeing half gloves that are on a magnet attached to your belt. Look practical as you don't have to perma wear them and easy to put on when landing a fish. Any good?

Thanks
juttle
Perch
Perch

Re: Gloves for Pike

Post by juttle »

I don’t use gloves because I’m of the opinion that it’s easier to damage a fish if you can’t feel what’s going on properly. Just using bare hands allows you to handle a pike easily and gently without the possibility of catching anything delicate and ripping the fish. If you feel something sharp, stop what you’re doing, back up a bit and adjust your grip. With gloves you won’t have the same feeling.
Bob
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Jp do a search as there have been topics before about using gloves,it seems to divide opinion like summer fishing does,
I’m a glove man,I chin 99% of my fish and unhook them in the water,it gives me a lot more confidence especially when there’s a flying treble
And I don’t want to scratch my soft hands :giggle:
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

Didn't John Wilson always use a glove when landing pike. ❓
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

fergie68 wrote: Sun Jun 02 2019 14:33 -
Didn't John Wilson always use a glove when landing pike. ❓
Hadn't heard of him, seems like a legend, will check him out more. He is wearing a glove in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT-0LSRY9q0

Not sure if that means I should also. I didn't realise by wearing them I could harm the fish. Not something I want to do. Will forgo them I think, and see how things go.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Is this a wind up,you have'nt heard of John Wilson??????????????????????????????????Fuckme boy do you live on the moon.
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

Don't listen to me ,no one else doe's,but for what it's worth I think summer pike fishing is wrong and wearing a glove is wrong and I have the scars to prove it
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

delboy wrote: Sun Jun 02 2019 17:16 -
Is this a wind up,you have'nt heard of John Wilson??????????????????????????????????Fuckme boy do you live on the moon.
I just got into fishing and don't know a single person who fishes. This forum is pretty much the first exposure to something beyond youtube and what I stumbled accross there. Been checking out John Wilson and he seems to be up for just about anything. Livebait, deadbait, gloves (on occasion) and lots of cups of coffee/tea. Funny guy, enjoying the vids so far.

Any other good stuff I can take a look at?
hb904460
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by hb904460 »

J-P, the info on these websites should be of some use:

http://www.pikeanglersclub.co.uk/tips/index.htm
http://www.dlst.co.uk/articles.html
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

hb904460 wrote: Mon Jun 03 2019 18:53 -
J-P, the info on these websites should be of some use:

http://www.pikeanglersclub.co.uk/tips/index.htm
http://www.dlst.co.uk/articles.html
Thanks hb9 the first link looks especially useful.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi J-P,
Do not use a glove.
Why, because if the fishes gills are closed you cannot feel for the bottom of the gill plate with a glove on your hand, with a bare hand its relatively easy.
Yes the gill rackers might scratch the backs of your index and middle finger but what is a few scratches if it means zero chance of damaging your fish.

If you have nobody to learn from Im in Hampshire, so if you want to catch a few fish with an old hand PM me.

:handshake:

Exposure you say, well this is the place for that!
Replies might be a bit in your face but those who do can back it up, we even have a few so above the rest of us they wont even reply to anything but a jibe.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Wrong again
It depends what type you use,no issues whatsoever with mine
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Nige Johns wrote: Tue Jun 04 2019 09:49 -
Wrong again

Not wrong.
Just a difference of opinions and experiences.

But hand on heart I know have never injured a fish with my fingers, even when I was handling big Pike professionally.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jun 04 2019 10:07 -
Wrong again

Not wrong.

But hand on heart I know have never injured a fish with my fingers, even when I was handling big Pike professionally.
When did you handle big pike professionally Mike? Unusual statement , were you a guide ?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

GAVIN H wrote: Tue Jun 04 2019 11:31 -
Wrong again

Not wrong.

When did you handle big pike professionally Mike? Unusual statement , were you a guide ?

No not a guide Gavin.
My work involved managing land and waters, during pike removal fish over 10lb were transferred and it was easier to carry a big fish from the mobile tank to the release point by hand.
Last edited by Mike J on Wed Jun 05 2019 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jun 04 2019 08:52 -
Hi J-P,
Do not use a glove.
Why, because if the fishes gills are closed you cannot feel for the bottom of the gill plate with a glove on your hand, with a bare hand its relatively easy.
Yes the gill rackers might scratch the backs of your index and middle finger but what is a few scratches if it means zero chance of damaging your fish.

If you have nobody to learn from Im in Hampshire, so if you want to catch a few fish with an old hand PM me.

:handshake:

Exposure you say, well this is the place for that!
Replies might be a bit in your face but those who do can back it up, we even have a few so above the rest of us they wont even reply to anything but a jibe.
Awesome offer, that would be perfect, I really want to get this right. PM sent with thanks.
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jun 05 2019 08:17 -
GAVIN H wrote: Tue Jun 04 2019 11:31 -
Wrong again

Not wrong.

No not a guide Gavin.
My work involved managing land and waters, during pike removal fish over 10lb were transferred and it was easier to carry a big fish from the mobile tank to the release point by hand.
:thumbs:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

For a very long time now, I always use one when unhooking and hand landing. Only chin 'em bare handed for pictures, where the risk of getting grazed or cut is much lower and there's of course no risk of getting a hook in you, which a decent glove will protect you from. I also use a glove for zander and cats, again, primarily when unhooking. Don't use one? Why on earth you'd want to shred your hands and risk an infection (or worse), as a pal of mine ended up in hospital as a result of cuts from gill rakers that went horribly bad; well, I don't know... may be people are just stupid or ignorant? No need to answer that, as I know the answer :roll: Still, each to their own I guess.

Anyway, the Lindy glove is the one I now use and recommend. They offer good dexterity and feel (which counters any argument that bare hands are kinder to the fish), yet protects from gill rakers, teeth and even hooks to some extent. Get a small first aid kit too - plasters, antiseptic wipes/cream, etc. Again, for pike fishing, essential kit. Here's a link to the best tenner you'll spend this month: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000T9LRUY/ ... _lig_dp_it
Piking Plonker
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sat Jun 08 2019 12:54 -
For a very long time now, I always use one when unhooking and hand landing. Only chin 'em bare handed for pictures, where the risk of getting grazed or cut is much lower and there's of course no risk of getting a hook in you, which a decent glove will protect you from. I also use a glove for zander and cats, again, primarily when unhooking. Don't use one? Why on earth you'd want to shred your hands and risk an infection (or worse), as a pal of mine ended up in hospital as a result of cuts from gill rakers that went horribly bad; well, I don't know... may be people are just stupid or ignorant? No need to answer that, as I know the answer :roll: Still, each to their own I guess.

Anyway, the Lindy glove is the one I now use and recommend. They offer good dexterity and feel (which counters any argument that bare hands are kinder to the fish), yet protects from gill rakers, teeth and even hooks to some extent. Get a small first aid kit too - plasters, antiseptic wipes/cream, etc. Again, for pike fishing, essential kit. Here's a link to the best tenner you'll spend this month: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000T9LRUY/ ... _lig_dp_it
Thanks for the feedback. I currently always carry some plasters the wife stuck in my tackle bag. She said she didn't want me coming home with my digits wrapped in pieces of tissue anymore. Typically I've since not cut my fingers once. A first aid kit defo not a bad idea.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I’m not a fan of gloves personally saying that I do carry one but in the moment it never occurs to me to use it.
I will say though get yourself some knipex hook cutters and keep them to hand. Chico’s lures sells the right size ones. Can save you a whole lot of pain if there’s a hook in you and one in the fish but also to cut hooks up for easier removal when there’s awkward hook holds.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Slug wrote: Mon Jun 10 2019 08:10 -
I’m not a fan of gloves personally saying that I do carry one but in the moment it never occurs to me to use it.
I will say though get yourself some knipex hook cutters and keep them to hand. Chico’s lures sells the right size ones. Can save you a whole lot of pain if there’s a hook in you and one in the fish but also to cut hooks up for easier removal when there’s awkward hook holds.

When a 2/0 was buried in my thumb I used the sidecutters on my Maun pliers to cut the eye off and force the hook all the way through.
Did it immediately, before any pain, actually it wasnt that bad, just sensitive for a few days.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

I've never used gloves myself but having today been earmarked to give a presentation at a health and safety course tomorrow on Leptispirosis I must admit the threat of Weils from work or fishing does make me wonder if I should consider it in the future. Raker rash is a common occurrence for me as a piker as I refuse to play my fish when there is no need, and with modern tackle I generally have a pike in the net in not much than a minute. This often means they play up on the unhooking mat and I get a few cuts.

My friend Hugh Miles's 'Catching The Impossible' has an episode where Bernard Cribbins plays a pike for what feels like an excruciating length of time. And Hugh told me that's the edited version! :pale:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Don't be fooled by the "I'm a man, don't need/won't have gloves"....or...."you ain't a Piker if your not bleeding" brigade".

If you feel apprehensive about initial handling, then take some of the advice being offered. Don't play your fish out until they are exhausted and make sure you have all the right equipment for handling them out of the water and to get them safely back without needless delay. A few plasters/bit of antiseptic etc in your bag is a sound move, an accident can on rare occasions happen even to the very experienced. The Lindy that Mark mentions is as stated a good glove to work with, if your that jittery. Once you gain confidence from experience you can then make a choice yay' or nay etc.

:thumbs:
Shiv
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Shiv »

Never used to wear a glove, changed my mind when a few of my mates had some nasty cuts while chinning fish, and the odd flying treble about, like some of the lads said, if your a bit jittery wear a glove, the lindy one Mark recommended is a good one.
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

I don't use a glove cos I'm a bloke
delboy
Barbel
Barbel

Post by delboy »

p****d off with mercman........................He ain't driving and he's had f**k all to drink
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

delboy wrote: Sun Jul 28 2019 17:42 -
p****d off with mercman........................He ain't driving and he's had f**k all to drink
The way YOU define f**k all is very different to most people's interpretation. I have had a satisfactory amount of alcohol today along with a nice steak dinner. Overall a very nice way to spend the day. Anyway what's that got to do with pike gloves :scratch:
Ray Waker
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Mercman wrote: Sun Jul 28 2019 21:39 -
delboy wrote: Sun Jul 28 2019 17:42 -
The way YOU define f**k all is very different to most people's interpretation. I have had a satisfactory amount of alcohol today along with a nice steak dinner. Overall a very nice way to spend the day. Anyway what's that got to do with pike gloves :scratch:
Coz they are perfect for gripping the stirring wheel extra hard after a bottle of Glenmorangie or two :gulp:
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :cheers:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

If your a bit jittery about opening a pikes mouth with your hand either don't fish for pike or learn how to do it safely. It certainly isn't rocket science and the vast majority of pike anglers are self taught.

There isn't a glove made than eliminates the possibility of damaging the gill rakers.
As for gloves avoiding flying hooks forget it, they are not made, even steel or kevlar gloves will snag a hook.