Improved weighting of soft plastics

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Improved weighting of soft plastics

Post by Richard Grave »

Looking for a new way to weight large soft plastics on a corkscrew rig, something that preferably leaves option to change weights and also doesn't enable the lure to rotate on its own axis. Anybody care to share ideas?
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Re: Improved weighting of soft plastics

Post by dropped_run »

https://www.thelurebox.co.uk/collection ... luo-yellow

storm also do a screw system that has a set of weight that slide over the line attachment point.

Savage gear do clip on bombs. Other option is a simple snap link and a leger system if you dont want to be too fancy.

Depends on how much weight you want?
James Dobie.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Wilko sell these handy 6g weights. £1 for 12.

Screenshot_20190612-180757.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Richard Grave wrote: Wed Jun 12 2019 16:13 -
Looking for a new way to weight large soft plastics on a corkscrew rig, something that preferably leaves option to change weights and also doesn't enable the lure to rotate on its own axis. Anybody care to share ideas?

It can be done "on-the-fly" by screwing in another corkscrew weight head (of your choice) somewhere under the belly of your LSP (for example). It works.

:thumbs:
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Can’t you just use chebruska weights between the lure and the trace link and change the size of the chebruska to suit !?!
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I prefer these diawa screw ins to others I’ve tried
https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/PikeFis ... gKxwvD_BwE
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Have used the chaberushka and storm rip systems and found LSPs can still spin on their axis. Will get some of those screw in weights they look tidy, thinking of trying an ssg or 2 between the trebles to keep it running true
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Your using a stinger hook?

All I do is leave wire a fraction slack and clamp split shot under the belly, simples and the pike dont mind. Clamp as with pliers!

(I don't do subtle)
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

This is an interesting subject and the answer can be very variable, first you want to decide how you want your lure to fish. If you are happy for the lure to drop head first you can either: 1) use a screw in weighted head and change them to suit the speed of drop (or in a similar way use the Storm RIP changeable weight system); 2) use a Jika style clip on weight attached to the eye, these can also be varied to suit desired sink rate; 3) add a Fastach type weight between the lure and trace, such as Mustad Football fastach or the similar Dragon weights, I absolutely would not recommend traditional Cheburaska weights for targeting pike, there is a real risk of them opening up whilst playing a big fish, or 4) Add a Texas style cone weight to the trace, or Carolina style attached to the line beyond the trace. If you are looking for the lure to run level, you can add screw in dot type weights to the belly, just bear in mind this can affect the body roll of the lure.
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Ian, I see quite a few guys using the cheburashka weights, I had the same concerns but just presumed they were safe because of their popularity. Have you ever seen one pull through?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Richard Grave wrote: Sat Jun 15 2019 14:48 -
Ian, I see quite a few guys using the cheburashka weights, I had the same concerns but just presumed they were safe because of their popularity. Have you ever seen one pull through?
I've had it happen to me.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I use the SG corkscrews, with the wire attached to the underside of the head via a split ring. Just take your wire off the split ring, change the head, and reattach the wire to change weights.
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Steve, do you ever have trouble with baits spinning using the sg heads? In the past I've used stand up jig heads and that stopped the issue of spinning but obviously there is no little option for changing weights.
Richard Grave
Perch
Perch

Post by Richard Grave »

Daniel wrote: Sat Jun 15 2019 22:14 -
I've had it happen to me.
One instance is enough for me not to be using them. Thanks Daniel
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Hi Richard, I’ve had them open up pull testing, also heard horror stories from among my EU buddies, they were designed for much smaller fish then pike.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Richard Grave wrote: Sun Jun 16 2019 08:12 -
Steve, do you ever have trouble with baits spinning using the sg heads? In the past I've used stand up jig heads and that stopped the issue of spinning but obviously there is no little option for changing weights.
No, I haven't ever had that problem,. SG get some stick at times, but their corkscrew heads are brilliant for medium/large soft plastics IMO.